Recording site changes

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do people note in their BG records which site they're using? I've read various recommendations for rotating sites (1 clockface surrounding bellybutton, clockface on each side, M and W 'join the dots' etc) but how do I record so I can spot any consistent problems? Clockface with the hour and maybe the side seems simple enough (12R, 3L, etc) but how can I record other methods? Maybe MW with a circle to show where the set is, or is there a better way?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
At the top of my record book, I always write just' left outer leg high, left middle leg high, left middle outer leg, left middle, middle, leg . I will use one leg and can normally (if sets are ok) use one leg for about 12 sets, then the other, then my left or right bum- then I write upper, outer etc...same as i do for my legs.

I find my stomach just too painful to use on a regular basis, as I keep getting pains from the sets anywhere from immediately to 24 hours after i have put the sets in). It can take me up to 5-6 weeks before I have to go back to the same areas.

I also write down cartridge change days as well. Always writing down if I have to change sets....the worst time 4 times on one day!!!! And each time I write down where they have been changed to etc...as by the time I have tried a set in my leg say twice and had problems twice I will move to my bum.

Other than that I would get a blank photocopy of a body chart from hospital and mark on the chart where the sets go, but I don't do this, as it is another faffing around minimum of every two days. I don't want to make things too complex to remember...

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks DD

I think the body chart would be fiddly, it needs to be simple but clear and easy to include in the main log.

I'll probably use the smart charts from Pumping Insulin or the Medtronic journal after the first few weeks. Meanwhile the DSN has given me photocopied sheets she wants me to use at first, but they're not ideal. I want to write carbs in somewhere, there isn't a box for them (just a small comment box for a day's carbs/food/activity) so I keep writing carbs in the 'bolus' box by mistake.

The set's comfy in my abdomen, although this one's near the mid-line and yesterday I felt like it'd catch on things. I've taped the tubing down to keep the connector a bit flatter which seems to help.

If the set's in your leg, does it catch on trousers?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Little Sue...

I take it that you have actually been given a proper log diary for pumps when given your pump?

Accuchek do a fantastic one,,,I automatically assumed that with your pump you get a really good recording/monitor book to use///Which gives you a page etc under all the details of bolus, basals rates, time, correction factors, set changes etc to write down all the foods and activitys etc that are relevent?

The log books are so different to the MDI record books...

jopar

The log book for pumps are different to the mdi look books, if you ring your pump manufacturer they will send some free..

I've had no problems with differentials between infusion sites so I haven't had to be that pedantic about keeping records of actual location.. I only use my stomach for infusion sets so use a simple left to right rotation, and I know when I using my left side I have to change the tubing as well as the cannular... The lovely poka dot marks you get with pumping is my guide in avoiding over using any particular site for the infusion sets...

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A Medtronic journal came with the pump, its very comprehensive with boxes for all the factors mentioned along a timeline so it's clear what happened when and why, plus space for free comments like set details. I've ordered more of these with my first supplies order, apparently the PCT isn't charged for them so I can have as many as I want. But the DSN insists I use her sheet for the time being.

I could use the Medtronic one and just transcribe what the DSN wants to see onto her sheets ... yeah, I'll do that. Thanks for prompting that, simple solution I hadn't seen.

Must go to bed now, bit short of sleep last night.

Will report back tomorrow, night all