Rectal Urgency

Veena

Hi Friends, I have recently been diagnosed with type II diabetes and have been placed on Metformin 500 mg after lunch and Metformin 500 mg after dinner. I take a cup of milk or a bowl of porridge in the morning (9:00 AM) but i have the rectal urgency and have to rush to the loo (approx 11:00 AM), though not always but quite often. Could it be due to Metformin. Metformin was only taken last night after dinner and I am doubtful if it. Can it be the side effect or something else!? :? :?

Hi all, Thanks for all your replies. Finally i have got over my problem. And the solution was probably deficiency of Vitamin B. If i am not wrong, Metformin causes Vitamin B deficiency. As a result this problem occurred and Vitamin B pills has helped me completely come out of it. Thanks all.

A

Anonymous

Someone with more knowledge will be along soon I am sure, but one of the side effects of metformin is stomach upsets.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Metformin is well know for digestive disturbances and it can take a few weeks for the system get used to it. Some of us never settle down and end up asking GP to prescribe slow release tablets.

The nickname for metformin is 'metfartin' for obvious reasons :oops: .. :lol:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Hi!

I too suffered with 'The Runs' with Metformin and it was a nightmare as I have a colostomy and also the tablets made me feel sick and gave me horrible 'Eggy burps' so my doctor changed me to Glucophage SR which as others have said is the slow release version and I'm fine with those(Haven't done nothing for my levels though) so don't suffer when you don't have to and see the Doc! :)
I think the Doctors try the normal Metformin first because it's cheaper and some people have no problems with it.

Stevie2tone

Dislikes
Crocs, Bluetooth headsets, Sun newspaper, Injustice, Robert Mugabe, Australian soap operas, Dodgy Casting Agencies and Cotton wool
I had real problems with this on Metformin, way too many problems for my liking. To the point it was having a real impact on my life.

Had to fight to come off of Metformin as it appears to be the first drug of choice for people with DM and the hcp's seem very reluctant to stray from official guidelines.

Was worth it when i was finally listened to though