recycling of medications boxes tablets metal foil

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good Morning all
Today following a huge a ground swell of interest of what to put in what bins ie black bin brown bin and blue bin
i take 5 medications every day and can find that the BOXES FOIL LEAFLETS and labels .
DO NOT HAVE VERY CLEAR recyle marks on.
Today i checked a blood sugars containers for the the recyling mark were was it under the lid so i know that in this part of
ENGLAND it can go in the blue bin
so what about the foil ???
and the labels with my name on which most of the time i take of and srew up to go in black bin
but to tell you what , nothing on the boxes ....
like the supermarket you buy ham in plastice container the bottem is recycled but not the top bit of plastice
we try and get this clear advice on meds anyone agree or indeed ever COMPLAIN
soap box vic
60 years on insulin ps what about the pump bits of line ect

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we need to check on your specific area council's website to confirm what you can and can't recycle.

I'm well up on national guidelines and recycle markings, but our local council sent out a letter this week reminding us exactly what should be in each bin. In our area none of the plastic trays for sausages, ham and so on are recycle items. Plastic sauce bottles but not the lids.

I suspect that, until lately they weren't too bothered as they were dumping all of the recycle abroad. The Chinese, and others are now refusing to take other countries recycle and our authorities are having to take recycling seriously now.

D

Deleted Account

As @jackois says, it depends on your local council.
For example, I have no blue, black, brown boxes.

I only recycle labels with personal details on after I have shredded them as I do not want to share my id with anyone even if it has been screwed up.

Regarding pump set recycling, that probably depends on the pump.
I have an Animas Vibe. I recycle all the paper, the used cartridges, the cannula applicator (with the needle removed and put in my sharps bin). The only thing that goes in the (non-recycling) rubbish is the film part of the packaging and the tubing (with the cannula part removed and put in the sharps bin).

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Good Morning all
Today following a huge a ground swell of interest of what to put in what bins ie black bin brown bin and blue bin
i take 5 medications every day and can find that the BOXES FOIL LEAFLETS and labels .
Today i checked a blood sugars containers for the the recyling mark were was it under the lid so i know that in this part of
and the labels with my name on which most of the time i take of and srew up to go in black bin
like the supermarket you buy ham in plastice container the bottem is recycled but not the top bit of plastice
soap box vic
Hi Vic, Good to see a local! The annoying thing about foil wrapped pills is that the foil would need to be seperated from the plastic, in other words the cost prohibits doing that. If I have confidential labels, I compost them in my back garden. I haven't seen any regular plants cave in yet! All the best, Grant

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I think the tubing is technically medical waste, and isn't supposed to be recycled. I was told to stick the whole thing in the sharps bin, needle, tubing and pump reservoir.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Vic, Good to see a local! The annoying thing about foil wrapped pills is that the foil would need to be seperated from the plastic, in other words the cost prohibits doing that. If I have confidential labels, I compost them in my back garden. I haven't seen any regular plants cave in yet! All the best, Grant
HALLO GRANT
STILL LOOKING AT YOUR BOOK trust you well sir
my point i should have said look at your meds boxes there is nothing on them at all and should be something even the gluco tablet do but not the big containers
vic
ie the traingle sign for recyleing

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
HALLO GRANT
STILL LOOKING AT YOUR BOOK trust you well sir
my point i should have said look at your meds boxes there is nothing on them at all and should be something even the gluco tablet do but not the big containers
vic
ie the traingle sign for recyleing
Thanks to you I discovered this forum. It's brilliant! Hope you're in fine fettle after so many years of Type 1.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I throw the empty boxes and foil pill wrappers into the general rubbish. My time is more important to me than helping the Bundaberg Regional Council recycle.
good to see you folk on the other side of the oceans
keep well i have a son backpacking the north.south new zealand tough going ref the rain and rivers flooding
vic

GrahamRS

Good Morning all
soap box vic

I realise this is an old post but I have an Update if anyone is reading this. SUperdrug stores which have a Pharmacy attached do Recycling of Foil blister packs.

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
You beat me to it Grant. We keep all our blister packs until we have a big bag as neither of our local Superdrugs have pharmacies. Then on a trip to Cambridge we get rid of them. Works really well.