Red Blood cells -Metformin

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone not posted for awhile but i still find time to have a read I went for my 6mth check up this week and it came back as serious lack of red blood cells I am going for tests Endoscopy stomach and bottom as the Doctor said i am loosing blood somewhere and she is starting with this as it could be really serious this is what i want to ask I have been on Metformin since 2003 on one tablet morning and night but 2013 i was put on an extra tablet morning and night ( 4 tablets a day ) I have read that being on Metformin for 12 yrs and over can change your red blood cells and also in the info paper there is a 1 in 10.000 that it can affect your red blood cells causing being lacking in vitamin B12 Can i ask has anyone had problems like this Thanks welcome any advice

seascapes

Yes! I have just had a blood test result giving a very low B12 reading. I was told it could have been caused by taking Metformin long term. No endoscopy needed for me - just more tests to check for other conditions, and a lot of B12 injections. I read somewhere that 22% of patients taking Metformin long term will have a B12 problem. And that its a fallacy to say you need to eat more meat etc, because its not what you eat that's at issue, its that the nutrients you need cannot be absorbed because the Metformin acts as a blocker in the stomach. Hence injections are needed to raise the B12 levels.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seascapes thanks for reply Think i will print some details i have found on long term taking of metformin and give to the Dr to look into it also