Red meat chemical 'damages heart'

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
A study by US scientists has shown that carnitine in red meat was broken down by bacteria in the gut. This kicked off a chain of events that resulted in higher levels of cholesterol and an increased risk of heart disease.

Saturated fat and the way processed meat is preserved are thought to contribute to heart problems. However, this was not thought to be the whole story

"The cholesterol and saturated fat content of lean red meat is not that high, there's something else contributing to increases in cardiovascular risk," said lead researcher Dr Stanley Hazen......

Could be bad news for fans of Paleo type diets.

Read more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22042995

And its not just red meat, there is carnitine in energy drinks "The average energy drink is equivalent to a porterhouse steak, or more." -- Dr. Stanley Hazen
More detailed - http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/inde ... gy_dr.html

In fact its all over the internet news sites I'm surprised no one else has posted this yet...

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
The usual scaremongering drivel, seems to be aimed at promoting big macs ! 70g within the guidlines - tosh.

Keep calm eat fat and carry on......

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't eat alot of red meat,chicken and tuna GF pasta tonight, but if we believed everything about all the scare stories (involving food and what NOT to eat) we wouldn't be eating very much at all :crazy: I want to live, not just exist.

RRB :D

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Spot on RRB, It's just a shame that the cuts I like are so expensive. Perhaps we should all become breatharians !

Keep calm eat fat and carry on.....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Superchip said:
Spot on RRB, It's just a shame that the cuts I like are so expensive. Perhaps we should all become breatharians !

Keep calm eat fat and carry on.....

Have you got expensive tastes then ? What would be your idea meal, money is no object :?:

RRB :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The risks associated with a high intake of red meat and Cancer/CVD have been well documented over the years so this comes as no surprise, I only eat red meat twice a week and eat chicken and fish the rest of the time.

Superchip

Dislikes
Cheap Whisky !
RRB, it's not so much expensive tastes but more the pursuit of quality. I've got a great local butcher who traces his supplies and he's not cheap. Also a local farm that butchers it's own farm reared pork beef and lamb again not cheap but delightful in taste and flavour.
I would say that a favourite meal would be a Barnsley chop or two and a great heap of spinach fried in butter and maybe one spud roasted in duck fat and fresh mint when in season.

I've been on the wagon now for 17 days after 40 years on the bottle and finding it surprisingly easy, favourite tipples being scotch, vodka, gin, barbadian rum etc. Twas getting to a bottle a day - bit much eh ? drinking a shedload of espresso and cappucino now !

I don't listen to these daft reports about meat, we've been eating the stuff for a very long time, long before the food police started putting c**p in cans !

Keep calm eat red meat eat sat fat and carry on !

Gordon Bennett I need a DRINK !

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
not sure what to make of this one. I think theres probably a wealth of difference between processed meat and fresh meat. I
The abstract is even more confusing.
This article is a bit clearer and has more detail.
http://www.nature.com/news/red-meat-wro ... ts-1.12746
Could be bad news for fans of Paleo type diets
Interestingly there is a comment by Stepfan Lindeberg (He advocates a paleo diet but his interpretation is not a high fat/low carb diet; he did research on the Kitavan diet. His version of paleo doesn't include grain but does include tubers. It comprises 'Lean meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, root vegetables, eggs, nuts etc'
http://www.staffanlindeberg.com/Home.html