remember the flu shot, everybody!

desidiabulum

Just a prompt to all those who know, and an alert to newbies who might not, that as diabetics we are a priority group for getting a flu shot and it is that time of year again. Some clinics may contact you, but others (like mine) don't.. :D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the heads up! I assumed i would be contacted. What time of year do you usually get them? Just so i know when to expect it :)

desidiabulum

They usually get them late September, but I hear they are running a bit late this year. First week or two in October may be your best bet -- do give the clinic a ring to check, as some are already booking times, even though they don't have the stuff yet. :shock:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
oooo ! Thanks Desi for the reminder ! :thumbup: I got the card through in August stating to phone the special phone line at the surgery after the 5th September to make an appointment but i forgot all about it so cheers for posting this ! :)

Best

Paul

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it done at the diabetes clinic? I was there less than a week ago - wish I'd asked then!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last year for the first time pharmacists were allowed to give flu injections. I had mine done in boots and will be doing the same this year.

For me it is so much more convenient and cheaper on my pocket as I can have it done on a Saturday - through the week I have to pay a carer for my son for 3 hrs so I can get to my surgery and at £14 an hour is quite an expense!

As a side note I saw somewhere don't know where that there is now a new non invasive tablet or liquid or something for children to protect from flu, didn't really take much notice but if you can find the info it may be helpful if you have a young un :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hale710 said:
Is it done at the diabetes clinic? I was there less than a week ago - wish I'd asked then!
Normally done at the GPs

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I've come down with my first bout of flu since around February and it's really knocked me for six! I had to take 2 days off work because I could barely move and was throwing up. Veeery nasty indeed - get your flu shot!

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lovinglife said:
For me it is so much more convenient and cheaper on my pocket as I can have it done on a Saturday - through the week I have to pay a carer for my son for 3 hrs so I can get to my surgery and at £14 an hour is quite an expense!

My practice does them like a military operation, you don't make an appointment, you just turn up at one of their sessions. They run them Friday afternoons and all day Saturday (8 till 5). Just turn up, join the fast moving queue and go to the next available room when called. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes!!!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My practice does them like a military operation, you don't make an appointment, you just turn up at one of their sessions. They run them Friday afternoons and all day Saturday (8 till 5). Just turn up, join the fast moving queue and go to the next available room when called. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes!!!

I have no idea why my GP doesn't hold a Saturday clinic -there must be far more than just me who struggle through the week such as workers etc.

Even if I could be in and out in 5 minutes I still have a 35 min bus journey each way so still a couple of hours care costs. I found that making the app at time to suit me at the chemist was a 5 minute job in between shopping, coffees and lunch - my 3 favourite pass times hehe!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since reading this post I've come down with what I seriously hope is just a bad cold and not flu..... But boy do I feel rotten! Must be psychological lol

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope ur feeling better soon. Was thinking about flu jab only the other day. After the first one did have a the flu, not had it since :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hale710 said:
Since reading this post I've come down with what I seriously hope is just a bad cold and not flu..... But boy do I feel rotten! Must be psychological lol

Oh no! Now I read it I'll catch it :(

Wish you better hale :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Unbeliever

Unless there is a good reason not to have it -allergies etc - I always think it best to have it. Not just for my own sake but because I could pass it on to others who might be even more vunerable .
i should hate to think I had killed or caused serious illness for the want of a little jab which can't even be felt.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
nomistheman said:
hale710 said:

Hope it's like mine was - started sniffing and sneezing early yesterday afternoon and gradually declined - was starting to feel very tired and achey on drive home.

Took paracetamol and sudafed and went to bed early. :(

Woke up feeling loads better and have got better as the day passed. :thumbup:

Sadly it's not shifting, but does seem to just be a bad cold. Phew!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Get mine every year, should get the call-up soon :thumbup: