Replacement for Humapen Memoir

Pablomotte

I have major memory issues, which complicates my diabetes. I've had diabetes type 1 for the past 33 years, and the last 20 years or so I have had great difficulty remembering whether I'd done my injection... Which way would I go? Risk giving myself a double dose, or wait for the hyperglycaemia symptoms to tell me I hadn't done the injection?

The problem was mostly solved by a Novopen that had a digital readout that said how many hours ago I had done my injection. It made a big difference to my life and helped get my HBA1c nearly under control. But the pens I had eventually broke down or batteries wore out and it became harder to find a replacement. (Novo Nordisk stopped making them ages ago.)

Then I came across the Humapen Memoir which was even better! It remembered the exact time and date of my last 16 injections and made life for me even easier! But it is now becoming increasingly difficult to find replacements for a broken pen or a pen with a dead battery. (Lilly have stopped making these a long time ago, too!)

Can anyone make suggestions for an insulin delivery device that can deliver Humalog, Novorapid, or some other similar short-duration "bolus" insulin *AND* remember when the last injection was given?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Pablomotte

BTW, I have seen this: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News_Landing_Page/Improvements-to-Lillys-HumaPen-Memoir-lead-to-UK-shortage/

The question still stands as I need replacements *before* mid-2012 or whenever Lilly say they can start producing them again.

iHs

I think in Europe Novo have launched their Echo insulin pen which has a memory and delivers in 0.5u increments. Don't know if it will be launched in the UK though. Have you thought about using an insulin pump at all? A pump records all bolus deliveries so you always know whether insulin has been delivered or not.

Personally, I think it's awful that so many people are expected to use bolus/basal regime and have to rely on their memory in knowing whether they've done an injection or not. It's so easy to forget .........to our cost Grrr

Pablomotte

That is just what I am looking for! Although it is not in production yet, and I couldn't find a cost or whether they will deliver in the UK. I'll keep my eye on it.

iHs

The Timesulin gizmo does look good. I think it's priced at £25 so most people should be able to get it :D

In the meantime what might also help you keep track of your bolus is to get hold of an Accu chek Expert bg meter which works with MDI and is used as a bolus wizard. The meter has a date and time in its memory and will record all your bg tests and bolus injections as long as you tell the meter what you are doing. :wink: