Approved Representing accurately T1 in film and Tv.

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all! I am a screenwriter who is developing a drama for TV. When I got interested in the subject of portraying a T1 character, I was quite disappointed with the innacurate and sometimes downright dangerous illustrations of the condition in the media. I hope to redress this situation, but I need some input from anyone who has ideas on how T1 should be portrayed on screen. For instance, are there any stupid questions that ignorant people keep asking? How does one respond to them? What aspect of diabetic life would you like to be shown on screen to raise awareness... that kind of thing.

The character is a young man who is in denial about his T1 and doesn't manage it very well. He suffers an amputation and hides it from the girl he is dating. His diabetes is under control at the time of meeting the girl.

I understand there can be difficulties with sex and dating.

The plot is a thriller, but please be reassured that there won't be any cliches such as going hypo at just the wrong moment. It is not a plot device! It is this young man's identity.

Any advice people can give me would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance to any one who's willing to give up a little time to help a struggling writer!