Research finds that muscle increases insulin sensitivity

jonbey

For T2 diabetes, to prevent and help manage, recent research by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes Association has determined that increasing muscle mass helps to increase insulin sensitivity. So, another reason to do more exercise.

Article: "Increase Muscle to Fight Diabetes"
http://www.motleyhealth.com/news/increase-muscle-to-fight-diabetes

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Oh bother - at last I am going to have to exercise!!

The gym demon has finally got me!

Doug

PS Thanks for the information Jonbey

Grazer

Sounds good, except that I don't have much in the way of muscle despite exercising! Question though, is it the extra muscle, or the reduction in fatty deposits that also comes as a result of exercise that reduces the resistance? How can they know?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually, it's not recent research, the statement looks at lots of different research and makes recommendations.
Far too long to try to summarise.
This is the conclusion:
Exercise plays a major role in the prevention and control of insulin resistance, prediabetes, GDM, T2DM, and diabetes-related health complications. Both aerobic and resistance training improve insulin action, at least acutely, and can assist with the management of BG levels, lipids, BP, CV risk, mortality, and QOL, but exercise must be undertaken regularly to have continued benefits and likely include regular training of varying types. Most persons with T2DM can perform exercise safely as long as certain precautions are taken. The inclusion of an exercise program or other means of increasing overall PA is critical for optimal health in individuals with T2DM
http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fullt ... 0100319xMP

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
C

catherinecherub

Don't know Fencer, I was only putting the article forward.
I remember there were aerobic classes specifically targeting "Bums and Tums". :)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
catherinecherub said:
Don't know Fencer, I was only putting the article forward.
I remember there were aerobic classes specifically targeting "Bums and Tums". :)
Yeah, I think that would be targetting muscle build and toning of those areas, rather than burning fat. The unfortunate truth is that when burning fat, the tummy is left until last :(

I'm just wondering though, if there is anything in the types of fats stored in your belly that the article talks about though.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T2, and have tried in vain for YEARS to build muscle. I'm quite happy at the gym doing resistance training (although notrecently!) - but I find it extremely difficult to build muscle.

D'you think it's because I'm T2 that it's hard to build muscle mass?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The aerobic work in that study mentioned by Catherine was quite intensive
The aerobic group performed exercises equivalent to 12 miles of jogging per week at 80% maximum heart rate
The researcher says that he thinks more moderate exercise would work but take longer .personally if drop below about 12 miles a week, I not only put on weight but my fasting glucose levels begin to get higher and I need to take more insulin for meals.(so insulin sensitivity gets lower)
I don't do much resistance training at all, I try to do some flexibility and abdominal muscle exercises but I'm not nearly as consistent as I should be.