1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Research finds that muscle increases insulin sensitivity

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by jonbey, Aug 27, 2011.

1. jonbey

jonbey · Newbie

For T2 diabetes, to prevent and help manage, recent research by the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes Association has determined that increasing muscle mass helps to increase insulin sensitivity. So, another reason to do more exercise.

Article: "Increase Muscle to Fight Diabetes"
    http://www.motleyhealth.com/news/increase-muscle-to-fight-diabetes

2. Osidge

Osidge Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Oh bother - at last I am going to have to exercise!!

The gym demon has finally got me!

Doug

PS Thanks for the information Jonbey

3. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Sounds good, except that I don't have much in the way of muscle despite exercising! Question though, is it the extra muscle, or the reduction in fatty deposits that also comes as a result of exercise that reduces the resistance? How can they know?

4. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Actually, it's not recent research, the statement looks at lots of different research and makes recommendations.
    Far too long to try to summarise.
    This is the conclusion:
    http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fullt ... 0100319xMP

5. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

6. Fencer

Fencer · Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but you cannot target specific areas to burn fat.

7. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Don't know Fencer, I was only putting the article forward.
    I remember there were aerobic classes specifically targeting "Bums and Tums". :)

8. Fencer

Fencer · Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that would be targetting muscle build and toning of those areas, rather than burning fat. The unfortunate truth is that when burning fat, the tummy is left until last :(

I'm just wondering though, if there is anything in the types of fats stored in your belly that the article talks about though.

9. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm T2, and have tried in vain for YEARS to build muscle. I'm quite happy at the gym doing resistance training (although notrecently!) - but I find it extremely difficult to build muscle.

D'you think it's because I'm T2 that it's hard to build muscle mass?

10. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

The aerobic work in that study mentioned by Catherine was quite intensive
    The researcher says that he thinks more moderate exercise would work but take longer .personally if drop below about 12 miles a week, I not only put on weight but my fasting glucose levels begin to get higher and I need to take more insulin for meals.(so insulin sensitivity gets lower)
    I don't do much resistance training at all, I try to do some flexibility and abdominal muscle exercises but I'm not nearly as consistent as I should be.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook