Research: Insulin Pump Simulation

StephanYnet

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Pump
Hey people,

I am working on a research project for my university. We are about to develop a simulation of an insulin pump.
Our goal is to create a simulation of an insulin pump. This also means we need to simulate various virtual humans that are using this pump. If the simulation is successful (will be used to teach some school classes about diabetes), we have a good chance to get the money for developing a real pump.

I decided that I want to ask actual diabetes affected people about some specific facts, instead of purely relying on web-/book research. So, if some of you would like to help me figuring out some things it would be really awesome! :)

My first question is about the blood glucose levels. What we need are the following boundary values:
  • (theoretical) Maximum, Minimum
  • Values above/(under?) which it gets life-threatening
  • Values of the normal range
  • Values of the range(s) in which the pump shall inject insulin, unless it already has (because of the delayed effect of some medicine)

I know i am asking for a lot here, but I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• insulin.pnp.png
    insulin.pnp.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 346

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it depends on the purpose of those boundaries. Are they to sound alarms? Or are they just to record 'in range' and 'out of range' on, for example, a graph?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
More to the point, reading your image, it looks as though you are trying to simulate the functioning of a pancreas? Is my understanding incorrect?