Approved Research Participants Wanted: Type 2 Diabetes in the Media

ElloBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

A few of you may know me from previous discussion posts asking about type 2 diabetes in relation to medication and lactic acidosis, but I also have an interest in how type 2 diabetes is represented in the media.

As I am now studying a postgraduate degree in Global Media and Culture at Keele University, I am currently in the process of conducting research for my dissertation.

My dissertation will be centred on type 2 diabetes in news media, so I am looking to recruit approximately seven type 2 participants who are interested in taking part in my research. The research will require an individual writing activity to learn about people’s opinions on common images and stories used in the mainstream media. This will be followed by a short individual interview. This will all be conducted online, using email to exchange documents, and Skype/video messaging for the interviews. Additionally, everyone who takes part will be given anonymity.

I am recruiting individuals on a completely voluntary basis – this means that there is no pressure or expectation for you to participate if it is not something you would be interested in.

The research, once incorporated to my dissertation, will be submitted to my University, and it will be read by a small number of lecturers who will also be marking it. I hope to use this research as a stepping stone before conducting research at a more in-depth level for a PhD in the future. All those who participate will be allowed to read it (if they wish!) after submission.

If this is something you would like to get involved in, please drop me a private message expressing your interest. From here, I can organise sending you a copy of the ‘research information sheet’, which has all the details about the project on. If you would still like to take part after reading this sheet, a consent form agreeing to participation will then be sent before the study can go ahead. If you read the ‘research information sheet’ and it’s not for you, I won’t be offended. Additionally, if you have any questions (either now or after reading the ‘research information sheet’), I am happy to address these, please just drop me a private message.

I do ask however, that regardless of your interest in this research, to not discuss your views surrounding the media representation of type 2 diabetes on this thread, as it may bias others who want to take part, and this may affect my study.

For those who are interested, I would like to add that you will be entitled to withdraw at any point up to the 27th August, 2019; three weeks before my submission date. So if you decide to participate now, you are allowed to change your mind at a later date if you wish.

So, if you are a type 2 diabetic and this sounds like something you would be interested in, please drop me a message and we can discuss this in more depth!

Thanks so much!

Edited by Mod to confirm this has been approved for posting.

Last edited by a moderator: