results

Linda59

I have been to see my diabetic nurse today, eventually got my blood test results which were taken on the 17th Oct, 6.7 not bad but I have waited 6 months for this, I asked about a tester but that got ignored as she started talking about something else, my cholesterol is also down to 3.7.
Do you think it may be better to see my diabetic doctor and see if I can get any further?

Linda

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Sad to say,Linda,but if you are Type 2 and not on medication you will not get a tester from the NHS.I got so frustrated I bought my own and also have to buy the test strips,which can be expensive,surf round e-bay and you can get them cheaper but make sure it is a reputable seller and that they put an expiry date on the product.

BTW good news on your bloods,your cholesterol is lower than mine!

Linda59

Thanks for reply, I was told when first diagnosed that I would get a tester if I needed one thats why I mentioned it today as I'm not sure whether I am doing right things, I suppose my bloods being what they are they assume I'm managing. I am on Metformin 2x500 a day.

My cholesterol is that low probably because I've been on statins for 10 years!

now for my feet and eyes!!

Linda

Nanjay

I recently changed Doctors and the practice nurse told me that the PCT (Epsom Sutton & Merton ) had instructed local doctors not to prescribe test strips to patients on Metformin with type II as Metformin they say does not cause hypos. On cost grounds. She said the Doctor would prefer to prescribe them, implying that his hands are tied. There was a response to a petition on the Downing Street web site which paraphrases a letter sent by the then Minister for Health to a diabetic lady on another forum so I copied the whole lot into a letter which I have sent to the PCT. However, I am not holding my breath. My last doctor did prescribe them but that is the only positive thing I can say about my last doctor! (oh, he had a nice practice nurse, too). Jan

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Unfortunately PCTs are unelected bodies who appear to have the ability to overturn policy decisions made by our elected Government. How constitutional is that!! Last year we had the then Health Minister saying that the future for post-operative care is fewer giant hospitals and more smaller community hospitals. Within months of that policy decision our local PCT closed down 3 village hospitals on cost grounds.

Did they really cost too much? Of course not. The cost to the PCT of an operation is far higher than the cost of recuperative care, so if you fill all the beds in the general hospitals with recuperating patients then you have no beds left and you can't do the operations. That way you can save money. But to make that happen you first have to get rid of the local beds in the community that patients could have used. Just think about it next time you hear of 18-24 month waits for pretty much any kind of operation - unless you go private ("yes sir, is this afternoon ok for you?")

Incidentally this is the same PCT that is now preventing my local GP surgery from prescribing any of the new diabetic meds, with threats of financial penalties if they do, even though NICE have ok'd them for use.

chloepo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nanjay, I come under Sutton and have never had problems getting test strips.I have type 2 and am on metformin [2 a day] along with blood presure medication and statins! Yes, I do rattle if I jump up and down!Maybe I'm just lucky.

Linda59

Had my eyes screened on Friday and got result straight away from optician, everything fine! now just feet next week...

Linda

Silks

i am horrified at you not getting the care you deserve!
I lived in West Yorks for many years and although I bought my own first tester (it was on special discount) as I wanted to know what was happening to my blood sugar.. I was given a new one just prior to my move up here to Darlington last October. My strips also suppled on prescription.
I am going for review tomorrow (Friday Non 7th 2007) and had fasting blood test last week so will be interested in the results.
I take the odd Metformin now and then if I feel I need it.. not a casual approach but I know I am over medicated and so will say so.
They trying to crack a walnut with a sledge hammer it seems.
I used to be also on Glycezide (spelling!) but found my sugar was descending to 3's and one time 2.9 so I said I didnt want those ty.
This latest issue of Diabetes UK contains ad for a FREE tester. I will take a looksee and tell ya all.
Their bi monthly magazine is called Balance and maybe available online.. dont know about this..sorry!
I will report on what the docs say tomorrow.. its all grist to the mill?
Stay as well as you can!

Silks :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I had a look at the website and I don't think Balance magazine is available to download. To get it you have to sign up as a member of Diabetes UK, annual sub of £23.

Silks

Thanks for that Dennis.. I am on benefits and then it is cheaper to join.

Well guess what? I totally forgot my diabetic check on the & Novemebr.. shows how ill I feel> (not!0).
Rescheduled for Nov 16 so I will report what happens.
Drinking kefir every day and seeing what difference that makes alone. Controlled experiment before I launch into Dr John's Cure..which I am determined to do.
I have brambles from the garden in the freezer and have made a smoothie with those and kefir. Also one with tinned peaches.. both extremely good.
By the way you dont have to fork out for a special smoothy making machine. I have just a small hand blender with which I liquidise the fruit together with a small amount of kefir milk and then add as I want.It cost me under £10 and came with a large beaker too.
I have just bought a small cup sized plastic sieve and a larger one too. Much kinder to the kefir grains bless em.
Will report on things as I go along. All take care
Silks xx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Just got my Hba1c back,it'd down to 6.9%(It was 7.9% when first diagnosed)Cholesterol 4.5 and I have lost 33pounds!Determined to keep losing weight and keep the sugar levels down!!:D

Linda59

Hi Sue, your results seem pretty good are you pleased with them? I know we would all like them lower but it doesn't always happen..

I got my feet checked and everything ok there, so thats me done for a year, other than 6 mth blood tests.

Like to know how to lose the weight though?? I've been on a diet for the last 10 years!

didn't get around to making a docs appointment but I will and let you know the outcome at a l8r date.

Linda

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Hi Linda,cut out all obvious sugars,smaller portions and step up the exercise levels!It's working for me so far!

Linda59

yes thanks sue, I've been doing this for 10 yrs, even the dieticians and doc say there is not much else I can do, exercise yes, but again it is difficult with other problems, doc said i would have to run at least 10 miles a day for it to do any good... which is not for me I do walk but not this far.:(

Linda

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Oh that's a pity Linda,don't know what else to suggest.Do you have a lot of weight to lose?

Silks

take a look at Paul McKenna Linda.
Some useful stuff there.. like changing your mindset about not eating breakfast if you dont feel hungry.. eating what you fancy ( within your pararmeters of course!) and above all.. eating slowly so as to give your tum time to inform your brain you are satisfied.
Works for me!
So really 4 rules........
1. eat when you are hungry
2. eat what you want
3. Know when you are full.
4. and stop!

Silks

Thirsty

If it helps, I've found swimming really useful for keeping my weight down and lowering blood pressure. (Running and other strenuous exercise is out as I'm lucky enough to be an asthmatic as well.) It seems to have helped with sugar control as well, as I've been able to reduce my dosage of gliclazide from 120 mg to 80 mg a day.

It's hard work, as I swim at least a mile every morning but I do feel much better for it.