Retinal screening

Diane type 2

Being a relatively newly diagnosed Type 2 in February, I have got a retinal screening to go to. The leaflet has made me feel a bit anxious as its very definite about blurred vision and possible side effects. Any advice out there?

gemma486

I have had it done a few times got to go in a couple of weeks I hate it done but its one of those things that has to be done your eyes will be blurred for the day you have it done you won't be able to read but its fine once it wears off xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The blurred vision does not apply to everyone. It is only if you need to have the drops put into your eyes in order to enlarge the pupils.

Personally I didn't need these drops and so I walked out without any blurryness. Dont worry about it, they're just taking a picture of the back of your eye

Susiebabs

I'm the same as Hale - don't need the drops and don't have any after effects. It's SO worth doing to help catch and treat complications early! If its your first time and you don't know whether you'll need the drops then best to get someone to go with you who can drive back if you're taking a car. Best of luck.

Diane type 2

Many thanks that's very re-assuring. I did have reaction to eye drops for an infection years ago, so will mention it when I go. Am being driven there by my husband just to be on the safe side. Thanks again. This site has some good topics on it doesn't it.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I've only had 1 so far but had the drops. Stung a little ar first but vision was fine within an hour or so ! It's nothing to worry about ! You'll be fine ;-)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've had this done at the local hospital about 6 times now. They do drops for everyone but I've never had a problem ref stinging etc as they do a 2-stage drops process. My vision is blurred for 4-8 hours so you must not drive and may need sunglasses on almost any day with a bit of sun. Overall no problem.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm having mine done tomorrow for the 6th time. I have had the drops every time I have had it done. I always book the last appointment of the day as I wouldn't be able to go back to work and work on computer. I find that everything is too bright and wear sunglasses when I am being driven home. The TV can be quite bright so I sit without the light on in the room and turn the brightness down. Once I had a morning appointment and had blurry and brightness all day.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have it done every year and the only bad thing about the temporary blurred vidsion is that I can't see the pictures on the technician's computer screen very well. Nothing hurts!
Hana

Smash1980

Hi I had it done for the first time last year, scared as hell, they put the drops in and took the photo of the back of the eye. I did have a reaction to the drops but that is externally rare. My friend has her's done every year no problem

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Diane type 2 said:
Being a relatively newly diagnosed Type 2 in February, I have got a retinal screening to go to. The leaflet has made me feel a bit anxious as its very definite about blurred vision and possible side effects. Any advice out there?

Don't be anxious as the test is quick and you will be put at ease by the person conducting the screening. The eye drops do make your vision blurry for a few hours after but I'm not aware of any side-effects... although Smash above says they've experienced one. I good tip is to wear sunglasses when you come back outside as the eyes can be sensitive to bright lights, just remember not to drive afterwards as this will invalidate your insurance should you have an accident on the way home.

Good luck and don't worry!

Smash1980

As I say the reaction I got is very rare they reckon 1 in 5000 so very rare indeed..... I will still be having my screening done it's just I have to have the counteracting drops in straight after.... But would tell anyone have it done!

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Diane type 2 said:
Hi Diane,

I'm one of the very lucky one's who do not experience adverse sight effects after having the "drops" in both eyes.
After the eye test is complete my eyes are such that I can drive home again immediately.
I don't experience any blurred vision due to the eye drops.

You may be one of the lucky one's also, however, in saying that, I would strongly advise you not
to attend the clinic prepared to drive home afterwards if you're a driver.
I would imagine you would not do so anyway.
The experience itself will allow you afterwards to discover for yourself.
As I mentioned, you never know, you may very well be one of the lucky ones also.

All the best to you and as had been mentioned try not to worry, there is nothing to fear.

The sunglasses recommendation is a very good idea.
It's great to see how all these good members in here are only to happy and eager to offer advice/help.

If you don't mind Diane, I'll just like to take this opportunity if I may to thank you all, who offered me some excellent help and advice when I first joined Diabetes UK and asked for advice.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Best wishes,
weewillie.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have it done yearly. First set of drops to numb eyes them the second set which keep pupils open (this is why you are sensitive to light and why sunglasses are a great - pupils get smaller in bright light but the drops prevent this. The test is painless and doesn't take very long. Blurrines is annoying but is gone in a few hours. I can see things in the distance but can"t read my watch while blurriness lasts. Best of luck with test

happy girl 1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi I have mine done every year and it's fine you might have blurred vision for a while
What I do is wear sunglasses for a few hours and then I am ok x