Retinopathy? Apparently not!

Elc1112

Had my annual retinopathy screening a couple of months ago. I have been told for years that I had background retinopathy. This year, however, I was referred to the hospital for further tests. I panicked. It's just what I do!

Anyway, went to the hospital this morning. Eye scan and various other tests. Saw the consultant. Not only did he say there was no need to worry, he said there were no signs if retinopathy whatsoever - not even background changes.

I questioned him as I had for years been told I had background retinopathy. He said there were no signs if it whatsoever.

If my control has improved then the changes may have gone away. The consultant, however, said it's more likely that the results have been misinterpreted in the past.

Great news but does make me a little annoyed that my eyes have been repeatedly misdiagnosed for the past x years. Still, better this way round than the other I guess!

Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Either way Em's that's excellent news :thumbup:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Woohoo nice surprise for you and a relief too I bet!

iHs

This is good news then. Background retinopathy can go with slightly better, more even control so it doesn't always mean that the inevitable will happen and laser treatment be needed. worrying though how eyescan results can be misinterpreted.

I hope you will now be able to sort out the DVLA and your driving licence will be renewed for another 3 years.

Take care

Elc1112

Relieved but also a little confused as to why I have been told one thing and then another. Definitely happy, though. I have to go back in four months for another check; just in case it was a bleed that has gone away. The consultant said that it's unlikely but better safe than sorry and all that :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm pleased that you don't have Retinopathy, but it is rather worrying about the doctors and their misdiagnosis :?

Best wishes RRB