retinopathy- bleed - heavily pregnant

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I'm 36 weeks pregnant and despite being assured throughout my pregnancy that there was absolutely no sign of any new vessels or that my condition was destabilising I had a big bleed in my right eye yesterday.
I don't understand how it can come from nowhere after I was told only 2 months ago that all was well!

I had a bleed last year in my other eye which came on slow and got worse over a period of about five days but this one is different, it came on very fast with no warning symptoms yesterday and has reduced vision in that eye to 'counting fingers'. There have been no bleeds since the first one, yesterday.

I'm wondering if this means it is more of a burst than a slow bleeder and has done its worst?

I really can't stand the thought of it still being like this when I give birth in 3 weeks time, do those with experience think it will have cleared by then, at least a little?

If it has not, I have spoken to my consultant who said he can do a vitrectomy but he wants to give it some time to see if it clears itself first. Plus obviously they won't operate whilst I am still pregnant.

So, if you have had a bleed yourself please can you respond and let me know a) how severe it was and b) how long it lasted as I need to get some hope!

Thanks

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Yes, that's what I am worried about. My bleed last year I went straight to a private vitrectomy which did stabilise it in that eye thankfully which is why I am quite pro the surgical route. I am thinking I will have to do the same again. Better get the cheque book out. Can't believe healthcare supposed to be free in this country but when the chips are down you have to choose between substandard care or going private.

Has anyone mentioned the vitrectomy to you, if your bleeds are recurring?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi AC sorry to hear of more eye problems. I never had any problem with my eyes when I was pregnant ( 12 years ago). Remember that having a baby can and does cause huge changes in your body and puts a lot of stress and strain on the more delicate or weakened areas.

I hope the next couple of weeks are better for you and wishing you all the best on the birth of your baby.

Take care and good luck RRB :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Thanks RRB. I think a lot is to do with how long you've had diabetes when you go through a pregnancy, as it can take 20 years or so for the rot to set in with your eyes, and then a pregnancy on top of that can really put the spanner in the works. I was unlucky as I was diagnosed 18 years before I had my son now 21 years so really bad timing. If I'd got diabetes later, or had my family earlier, I may have been ok.

I'm just hoping that once I stop being pregnant the eyes will not need to grow these blasted new vessels, but the more I learn about retinopathy the more I see how unpredictable and illogical it can be. I guess being on aspirin in my pregnancy did not help either -I've stopped it now.

I heard you had more probs with your eyes, sorry to hear that.

Well at least the bleed has subsided a little now, so I can see a lot more clearly out of the bad eye - I had only counting fingers vision earlier in the week but now can see pretty clear through the little black dots so they are much less dense. There's a few wispy streaks of blood still but generally much thinner than before. I know this could all change in an instant if it bleeds again though so just praying it will not. Then I am going to see my private doc 10 days after I've delivered and he will either recommend more laser or a vitrectomy. Will have to pay for it myself though if I stay with him but I don't trust anyone else to fiddle in my eyes now.

At least things seem a little better than earlier in the week, hopefully I will be ok for the birth.