Retinopathy Hope

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I have been diagnosed now since July 2012 in August 2012 I was also told I had retinopathy and was instructed
I needed to attend a laser clinic at the local eye hospital. At this moment the bottom fell from my world. Luckily on
deeper examination it was decided I did not at that time need laser, although a sting in the tail was they also mentioned
some Macula oedema was there as well.

I have been wholly anal in controlling my BG level so that my Hba1c results ended up in the lower 5's.
Today I returned to the eye hospital to be told that because of my BG control (an I guess a level of luck)
my retinopathy is no longer apparent. The macula oedema is stable and in the ophthalmic consultant's words
has arguably improved.

This forum has been great in providing support and information so I that am sat here a little relieved this evening
but also grateful of everyone on here who gave me hope and drive to continue. The relief I guess is also being
fuelled by a little malt whisky as well :)

The consultant affirmed that the tight control of BG levels was the main cause for the retinopathy going so I
thought I would drop a line to say there is the possibility of reversing the early stages and hopefully show
there is hope to the next person who logs onto here after a similar diagnosis.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is fantastic news FP, well done!!!!!!!!

Incontrol?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I have been diagnosed now since July 2012 in August 2012 I was also told I had retinopathy and was instructed
I needed to attend a laser clinic at the local eye hospital. At this moment the bottom fell from my world. Luckily on
deeper examination it was decided I did not at that time need laser, although a sting in the tail was they also mentioned
some Macula oedema was there as well.

I have been wholly anal in controlling my BG level so that my Hba1c results ended up in the lower 5's.
Today I returned to the eye hospital to be told that because of my BG control (an I guess a level of luck)
my retinopathy is no longer apparent. The macula oedema is stable and in the ophthalmic consultant's words
has arguably improved.

This forum has been great in providing support and information so I that am sat here a little relieved this evening
but also grateful of everyone on here who gave me hope and drive to continue. The relief I guess is also being
fuelled by a little malt whisky as well :)

The consultant affirmed that the tight control of BG levels was the main cause for the retinopathy going so I
thought I would drop a line to say there is the possibility of reversing the early stages and hopefully show
there is hope to the next person who logs onto here after a similar diagnosis.

Just wanted to share this with you, I had background retinopathy at the onset of my diabetis.l I was really frightened at the time, however, I read on line somewhere that eating a cupful of blueberries each day for at least six months can help and indeed having done that for 6 months when I went for my eye check the results were negative. I have carried on with the blueberries and get them frozen whenever I cannot get fresh. Good to see you are reaching out on here aided by a little malt whisky. Great news re your BG level, that reading is what I am hoping to get, enabled by good advice on here my reading this morning was 6.1 and I am delighted by that because I no longer feel tired out, the renewed energy is making me more determined to lower my BG level to that of your own, Well done for tightly controlling your BG levels. I am not a drinker but that does not stop me saying CHEERS! x