Retinopathy - not a fast track to blindness

B

badcat

What we can read about possible complications can be **** scared and sometimes feels like a sentence that is beyond control
When I was diagnosed as diabetic nearly 20 years ago I was told I'd been diabetic for at least 15 Years and had background retinopathy to prove it - when I read the literature it scared the bejesus out of me and seemed to imply blindness was a given
Just had my latest eye screen and been told I now very early background retinopathy ie either no change or an improvement over the 20 years

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's good news to be told that all is OK, retinopathy is a horrible condition and not one you'd wish on your worst enemy!

Unbeliever

Yes background retinopathy can be reversed easily and most long term diabetics have some signs of it. Its when it is ignored in the sense of diabetes not being controlled we have to worry. Screening is most useful for purposes of comprison and tracking ant
deterioration. One result means little in itself..

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unbeliever said:
Yes background retinopathy can be reversed easily and most long term diabetics have some signs of it. Its when it is ignored in the sense of diabetes not being controlled we have to worry. Screening is most useful for purposes of comprison and tracking ant
deterioration. One result means little in itself..
i have just come back from the doctors after getting the results of my latest retina check and was given an appointment to go to the opthologist as I needed "further investigation ". I am now worried sick that something is wrong appointment not til 16tjh December so 6 weeks of worry !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Marrocco

[/quote]i have just come back from the doctors after getting the results of my latest retina check and was given an appointment to go to the opthologist as I needed "further investigation ". I am now worried sick that something is wrong appointment not til 16tjh December so 6 weeks of worry !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

I'd add here that I have now had halfa dozen sessions of laser for full-blown proliferative retinopathy- it isn't much fun, BUT- and this is the key point- I'm most certainly NOT blind yet, so take heart- it really isn't as bad as it might be. So long as they catch and treat it in time, chances are yor sight will (mostly) remain.

Unbeliever

Hi connie ,

I totally agree with merrocco and have had even more sessions of laser etc. Try to think of it as a good and positive thing.
Before screeniing you would probably not have have known there was a possible problem.
At this stage you don't know for sure that there is When you go to the eyeclinic it could still be inconclusive. You could just be asked to come back 3 months , 6 months down the line to check progression. At least you should feel better knowing the experts have it in hand and you are being monitored.
You may even be given the all-clear.

If there were any cause for panic you would have been seen urgenly. Its not unusual for people to wait longer for a first appointment. Its all scary I know but ry no to worry too much. I have had reinopathy , maculopahy macularr oedema cataracts glaucoma and I am not blind.Both my eyes are affected.

Treatment is improving all the ime and new treatments developed. just look to your bg control if it neeeds some improvement -but don't go mad. genly does it.

good luck.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for your replies I think it was just the icing on the cake after my hip replacement was postponed as they think some of the pain I have is coming from neuropathy and they are investigating this first. I always thought my diabetes was well controlled last hb1ac was 5.9 next one due December

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Unbeliever

Its not always a sign of poor control . Sometimes its just the result of diabetes over a number of years. In my case it was because of a drug bringing my levels down too quickly.
If your levels are good it just gives you more chance of success wih your treatments. I have to keep mine stable not just low -any highs or lows affect me adversely.