Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just your last sentence shows what is all wrong with the system. I've relied on the fantastic volunteers at Citizens Advice for a whole scope of areas from when I was ill a few years ago to all of mum's affairs etc and whilst at times they can't do much to help because of the system they have been brilliant. Why are they volunteers? They should be key workers on good salaries. Always baffled me.
They are usually professional ex civil servants and solicitors etc. so are of a high calibre but have retired from the 9-5 hassle!

Reactions: JRT

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to point out that none of the many citizens advice volunteers I have come across were ex civil servants or solicitors

They were, however, all person of high calibre.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just seen another article about this, in the Times (not my rag), and apparently Bo-Job and Carrie are worried they won’t be able to afford a nanny. Moreover, they have to pay for any food that’s prepared in the No 10 kitchens and sent up to them. I’m weeping.
well, he chose to have so many children, and to put himself up to be prime minister. Choices have consequences. I notice they dont mention Carries earnings.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I’ve just seen another article about this, in the Times (not my rag), and apparently Bo-Job and Carrie are worried they won’t be able to afford a nanny. Moreover, they have to pay for any food that’s prepared in the No 10 kitchens and sent up to them. I’m weeping.
I still have some of boxes left of the ones supplied when I was shielding I wonder if I should send him one just to tide him over though I'm afraid there is no bog paper left as it's all been used I used to have to use a lot of it after his Covid briefings and other bragging party political speeches he and his cohort made.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I would like to point out that none of the many citizens advice volunteers I have come across were ex civil servants or solicitors

They were, however, all person of high calibre.
The two I know were retired teaches. Both received OBE's from the Queen for service. Certainly high calibre professionals.

Max68

Don't know if you are meant to laugh or cry! Paying for their food?! Shocking, and I've been getting free food from Sainsbury for years,,,, NOT!

Asked a friend yesterday if he thought Boris was a buffoon? He replied "no he's a …......". Can't place the word on a public site but I'd never heard my usually laid back mate use words like that and I'm not shocked by industrial language at all!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The two I know were retired teaches. Both received OBE's from the Queen for service. Certainly high calibre professionals.
My point is that ordinary non professionals can also be people of high calibre.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have now been back at work since 1st August and it doesn't seem too bad for me.

Strangely, there are 2 different work patterns in place which is a little confusing.
Officially I am doing Wed, Thurs, Fri, Mon, Tues, work from home. Then back in the office Wed, Thurs, Fri, Mon, Tues etc. Some people have their in work days while the rest of us are working from home.

Tried asking the muppets in HR why we couldn't just do alternate weeks and I was treated like an idiot.

There are also some departments working with 50% attendance Mon, Tues and the other 50% Wed, Thurs with everyone at home on Friday.

In reality I ignore the company work schedules and go in when I need to which has been working out at around 4 days a week. I can maintain reasonable social distancing and all our meetings are on-line now anyway.

Some people say they felt pressured into coming back and are complaining about working in an air conditioned environment with Covid-19. Overall it seems to be working fairly well, though there are a few people who seem to be incapable of following arrows marked on the floor to designate a one way system which then upsets work colleagues etc.

I work for a manufacturer of large medical devices and we can monitor most of our machines remotely. Whilst there was a significant dip in 'machine on' hours back in March, usage now seems to be around 90% of the normal level which is encouraging.

Posts on a Facebook group that I have recently joined make it clear that Endocrinology departments have not quite grasped the back to work message. I was concerned about not having had any contact for over a year now, but it seems I am far from being alone in this.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posts on a Facebook group that I have recently joined make it clear that Endocrinology departments have not quite grasped the back to work message. I was concerned about not having had any contact for over a year now, but it seems I am far from being alone in this.
I don't know what GPs are doing either, if our local medical centre is anything to go by. My daughter had to wait 3 weeks for a 3 minute review by phone before they would renew her repeat prescription. There are 5 GPs at the medical centre, they must be very busy if they can't fit in a quick phone call.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I had a WhatsApp with younger daughter tonight. Younger grandson’s friend and her brother have got the virus. Their mother’s superlatively careful, she’s a surgeon, so they most probably caught it at school. Their mother’s operating list will now have to be delayed while she isolates, and hopes she doesn’t get it too. More delays for people awaiting ops.

Reactions: urbanracer

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not sure when I’ll be back in the office and then it be one day a fortnight if necessary (I work 3 days a week). They are concentrating on getting people who need to be in for operational reasons and those who, for various reasons, are not able to or don’t feel content working from home all of the time.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what GPs are doing either, if our local medical centre is anything to go by. My daughter had to wait 3 weeks for a 3 minute review by phone before they would renew her repeat prescription. There are 5 GPs at the medical centre, they must be very busy if they can't fit in a quick phone call.
If it’s anything like my surgery the receptionists are always busy on the phone so you can’t get through!

Max68

I had a WhatsApp with younger daughter tonight. Younger grandson’s friend and her brother have got the virus. Their mother’s superlatively careful, she’s a surgeon, so they most probably caught it at school. Their mother’s operating list will now have to be delayed while she isolates, and hopes she doesn’t get it too. More delays for people awaiting ops.

The irony being Boris wanted schools open so parents could go back to work. Simple as that. Bet he didn't consider that children picking up the virus at school could mean people not being able to work!!

Big discussions on our Whatsapp work feed tonight,. A diabetic colleague of mine, who wasn't at all worried, is now very worried because she has symptoms which she hopes is a cold! She got knocked by the Caretaker who insists the school is more safe than other schools, which is a bit of a fallacy to be fair considering none of our students wear masks! Seems like you are not allowed to speak out due to "scaremongering" was his phrase. Nice bloke to be fair but bang out of order on that one. I kept quiet but did offer some advice to my colleague and she has a consultant so is talking to her on Monday. Will be very interesting to see what her consultant says.

JRT

The irony being Boris wanted schools open so parents could go back to work. Simple as that. Bet he didn't consider that children picking up the virus at school could mean people not being able to work!!

Big discussions on our Whatsapp work feed tonight,. A diabetic colleague of mine, who wasn't at all worried, is now very worried because she has symptoms which she hopes is a cold! She got knocked by the Caretaker who insists the school is more safe than other schools, which is a bit of a fallacy to be fair considering none of our students wear masks! Seems like you are not allowed to speak out due to "scaremongering" was his phrase. Nice bloke to be fair but bang out of order on that one. I kept quiet but did offer some advice to my colleague and she has a consultant so is talking to her on Monday. Will be very interesting to see what her consultant says.
Things certainly are heating up! I think as always it's the uncertainty that's stressful. Infections are rising on my part of the south coast,nothing like some areas of the country though.
It will be interesting to see how your colleagues consultant views situation.
A week ago I contacted one of the managing directors of my employers. She has a reputation of being quite fair. Of course this has meant supplying the whole sequence of events yet again.Going through the whole sorry tale their actions, or lack of them become even more apparent.
Interestingly now the care home by the end of the week will be down to 7 residents. Another colleague who is high risk and who not shielded but has been unwell due to her condition also wonders where we stand in all of this.
Will we be transferred? Made redundant?
Sorry I havent got reference but I think it was Dr Tam in the papers yesterday saying that he felt that although the government hands,face,space message was strong the main emphasis should be on space. Due to its aerosol nature the best prevention is to be 2 metres away supported by the other two.
Pretty tricky in a school or care home,although at moment I think you stand a better chance in a care home!
There have been reports from disability charities on the news this week about the dilemma faced by those who are high risk in the workplace. There have been grumbling that the government will increase the numbers of shielding by two million. I wonder if that will be blanket groups or a more targeted risk assessment,age,gender,comorbidities etc?
My managing director has indeed suggested that I contact my Dr and get signed off sick again! I think that's a first,never known an employer do that!
It does seem to be increasingly a suggestion. Maybe its viewed as the best option? The guidance for Covid safe workplaces seems to be problematical. No one seems sure of the real situation in a particular area until people become ill.
I do find it rather amusing when presenters etc question why more vulnerable groups are not being hospitalized and view it as a sign that all is ok. Well of course numbers are on the rise and we will see how it stands by the end of the month. We do know more about how this virus affects people. On the whole vulnerable groups are probably imprisoned in care homes or where they can adhering to strict social distancing.
It's a dreadful position to be in. You are at the mercy of a government that shows no mercy and doesnt acknowledge mistakes. Even on this site there can be an element of mockery or dismissal as being unnecessarily afraid or negative.
Some people have been able to return to work in relative safety, their environment is reasonably covid safe,maybe they are not there full time and can work from home.
For those who work in frontline jobs where they spend long hours in poorly ventilated spaces with people who cant or wont socially distance whether it's a school, health care environment or factory it is a whole different ballgame.

Those who are lucky enough not to face those conditions need to spend a few minutes imagining what it's like. If you see a crowded bus/pub/cafe/ shop you have a choice not to enter.
There are strict limitations on how many people can meet together indoors and outdoors. It's now actually against the law to break them.
It's not against the law for a person at high risk to sit in a room with 30plus people with an increasing risk of them being asymptomatic or infected with PPE that offers only basic protection if its available.
Those that find this unacceptable are made to feel they are making a fuss or trouble makers.
Madness.