Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well heard today that my old school has a staff member who tested positive yesterday. Over 10 staff and a handful of pupils didn't go in today and two others have been sent home this morning, one with a temperature. Looks like the school will be on a virtual timetable again with only the vulnerable kids in. Old colleague texted me and said I had left at the right time!!

This does in fact pose an interesting question regarding vaccinations with regard to those who would rather not partake. Will employers insist that all employees are vaccinated?

Just on the basis of knee jerk, but I doubt that could be enforceable, any more than an employer considering employing a young, fit woman of child bearing age insisting they use contraception for x amount of time.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A registrar at the local hospital is from today self isolating because his son contracted the virus at school and has now got symptoms of covid 19, and that means he is not available to treat patients.

Max68

A registrar at the local hospital is from today self isolating because his son contracted the virus at school and has now got symptoms of covid 19, and that means he is not available to treat patients.

This is the dilemma isn't it. Schools close then parents can't go to work. Schools stay open, get infections, and some parents still can't go to work. Down my road the school closures didn't affect my close neighbours as only one parent works and/or the other was working from home. The child care problem is probably when both parents are at work and obviously made worse because grand parents can't look after the kids.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the dilemma isn't it. Schools close then parents can't go to work. Schools stay open, get infections, and some parents still can't go to work. Down my road the school closures didn't affect my close neighbours as only one parent works and/or the other was working from home. The child care problem is probably when both parents are at work and obviously made worse because grand parents can't look after the kids.

My understanding is, grandparents can provide childcare. However, there is obviously a risk to that given children can and do get the virus.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is, grandparents can provide childcare. However, there is obviously a risk to that given children can and do get the virus.
IF there are grandparent, or anyone else who can provide childcare. For many of us this isn't an option. Due to the pension age increasing to 67 years old in the UK, many grandparents are still working, and/or already caring for their own parents.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently no one will be forced to have vaccination but I wonder how long it will be before there is a list of things you cant do if cant prove have had it?

Quantas Airlines have stated that once a vaccine is available, all travellers on their airline will have to show a vaccination certificate.

Max68

Talking about flu vaccinations. I received a letter today reminding me I needed one and to book asap. From NHS England and NHS Improvement. Anyone else received one as it's the first time I have received a letter?

The irony is they also ask if you can scan the QR code on page 2 as I will save the NHS money by going to digital communications but they could have saved money themselves if they had realised that I had a flu jab over a month ago after receiving a text from my surgery. So it costs the NHS hundreds of millions of punds a year to send patient letters but send our flu reminder letters "after" people have had the jab! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I assume it's kosher as not to keen on scanning the QR code with my phone if it's a scam!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking about flu vaccinations. I received a letter today reminding me I needed one and to book asap. From NHS England and NHS Improvement. Anyone else received one as it's the first time I have received a letter?

The irony is they also ask if you can scan the QR code on page 2 as I will save the NHS money by going to digital communications but they could have saved money themselves if they had realised that I had a flu jab over a month ago after receiving a text from my surgery. So it costs the NHS hundreds of millions of punds a year to send patient letters but send our flu reminder letters "after" people have had the jab! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I assume it's kosher as not to keen on scanning the QR code with my phone if it's a scam!
I haven't had a letter but I do know that the chair of NHS Improvement is Lady Dido Harding so you are in safe hands! :)

Reactions: Max68

JRT

I got a letter!

Max68

Just had a browse and it's a new thing this year and I suspect it's not linked with the GP surgeries so they obviously don't know who has had one or not...

Re Metatarsalgia - Has anyone here suffered with it? It's been giving me gip for months and I stupidly jumped over a sty (a small one!) when I went for a walk a couple of weeks ago and welly boots aren't the most supported! Been in real pain since and just can't walk on it so that puts paid to the exercise for now. Been referred to the MSK Clinic but it will be a while till an appointment comes through. Anyone had success with curing it?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I’ve had 2 texts and one letter so far reminding me to get my flu jab which I’m having next week.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a letter from a central body that told me to phone a number, which told me to use a web site, which told me to phone on a particular day of the week for my location or email them for an appointment..... which I did and it worked fine from there... Saturday afternoon job. Absolutely no reaction at all, which made a bit of a change.
Hoping for more than "No pain, no gain".... and now feeling as fit as a Butcher's Dog.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Apparently no one will be forced to have vaccination but I wonder how long it will be before there is a list of things you cant do if cant prove have had it?

I doubt you'll be travelling on any international flights without a vaccine....

My 90 year old dad, who has been self isolating since March with my 61 yo brother (university lecturer who normally lives in london but has been working via zoom from my dad's home since March), is desperate to have a vaccine and reckons he may get one in December? Of course, he'll then be isolating so that he doesn't give it to my brother.... He'd normally visit me in New Zealand for 3 months over Christmas, so we're just waiting for NZ to relax the rules to allow in vaccinated folk.... (hopefully before my frail dad is too frail to travel.)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just on the basis of knee jerk, but I doubt that could be enforceable, any more than an employer considering employing a young, fit woman of child bearing age insisting they use contraception for x amount of time.
I thought that there were loads of vaccinations that health workers were required to get (hepatitis, flu etc etc)? Or are they just recommendations?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that there were loads of vaccinations that health workers were required to get (hepatitis, flu etc etc)? Or are they just recommendations?

I think there are many where HCPs are offered vaccines, but in my time working in close contact, clinical settings, I was never compelled.

My career change was quite some years ago, so I couldn't swear by what is de rigour at present.

For the record, I'm not anti-vacc and have had some horrid vaccines as hopefully protection against horrendous conditions. For me, personally, I'll wait for now.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
For me, personally, I'll wait for now.

I can understand that, and though I'll go for the vaccine I am not particularly sorry that I won't qualify for the very first wave. I figure by the time I'm offered it it should be obvious whether the fast tracking has led to any issues, though I think my 90 year old dad is right to go for it as soon as possible. (His quality of life will be massively improved by it and he's not frightened of dying, just doesn't think covid is a good way to go.)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
it should be obvious whether the fast tracking has led to any issues

Of course, going into true sci fi survivalist mode, I should stock up on toilet paper now so that I can get prepared for the upcoming zombie apocalypse caused by the unintended consequences of one of the new vaccines.:)

Reactions: Max68 and hankjam

Tannith

BANNED

I got a letter about the flu jab. And the reminder to save the NHS money by going digital. I would like to help the NHS but Boris & Co have made such an almighty hash of everything around Covid that I wouldn't be sure I was receiving all the communications if by email. Don't think a lot of Test subjects got information or their contacts traced. I'm not having a flu jab until after I have had the covid jab as I don't believe it's safe to go out. Yesterday I refused a scan appointment for a hernia for the same reason - I don't want to go near a hospital just now.