Returning to work

Jman

Hello all, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes about 2 weeks ago and have been off work since. I work in a Bar and often work long hours. The Doctor signed me off for these 2 weeks but says I am now fit to return to work. But I am not sure I am ready yet, How long did other newly diagnosed people take off before returning to work and how do you manage the transition back to work?

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was a child when diagnosed so can't really answer your questions fully but I did go back to school after 2 weeks. Very different times then though, glass syringe and only 1 injection a day!
Have you talked to your work about any graded return? Anyone that you get on really well with that could "buddy up" with you ie support and keen an eye on you?

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
I was diagnosed on a Thursday at my doctors who sent me to a diabetic clinic at the hospital. After a afternoon session on Thursday and a morning session on the Friday I was back at work Friday afternoon.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in hospital for 2 weeks on drips and getting stabilised, then had 2 weeks at home before being sent back to (boarding) school. I certainly remember the trusty glass and metal syringe which had to be boiled once a week :roll:

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I do empathise returning to work after diagnosis can be scary, but the only way to learn how to manage your condition in your normal daily life is to actually do it. Explain to your employer that you may need to take an extra short break here and there, ensure you test your BG before starting your shift, have some dextrose tabs close to hand and just go for it. Being off work gives you a bit of a false reaction, as your BG may control may be completely different when you are running around at work. Whenever you return you will have to adapt your diabetes management to your different activity levels, so you may as well start as you will need to go on. Lets face it, it's not going to go away (sadly) I am sure your diabetes care team will support you and this forum is great if you want some friendly advice, and don't forget there are thousands of happy T1s out there in the work place, we all have our different ways of coping but we have all been where you are, going back to work will give you a sense of normality and purpose.

FoxyRoxy

Dislikes
Ipswich Town, having diabetes and bipolar, intolerance, the Daily Mail, Twitter, bad music
I'm in a similar situation having been managed as a Type 2 and ending up in hospital after developing ketoacidosis.

I am starting bolus dosing on Thursday but my sick note runs out on Wednesday. My GP will give me time if I need it but I'm wondering if I'm just delaying the inevitable (although I have a very stressful job and can't afford to be off my game when I come back).

LaughingHyena

Slightly different in that it wasn't going back to work but I was at home looking after my 3 year old alone after a couple of days. At the time I remember it being so scary, I was convinced I was going to drop unconcious at any moment, however there wasn't really any choice. In the long run I think getting back to "normal" as soon as possible was the best thing for me, putting things off just gave me too much time to worry about how hard everything was going to be.

I'm not usually one to talk about this sort of thing with people but I did tell a few people around me about the diagnosis, what to look out for and where I keep my jelly babies. I also made sure I had emergency contact details in my phone and wallet just in case.

I did find in the first couple of weeks I found myself sticking to the same few meals, feeling there was quite enough experimenting going on. Once I was a bit more confident in carb counting, and most importantly recognising a hypo I have felt much more comfortable with more variety.