1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reversed T2 in 3 months diet only!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by M C Mollloy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Enclave

Enclave Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Your right ... Let's hope he can put the weight back on and eat whatever he was eating before the diabetes ...
    I don't think so ... He's going to keep the weight off and eat things that won't affect his blood sugars .. I know it's a great feeling doing this as I have also done this ... No way I am going to say I have reversed the diabetes .. I have it under easy control ...

2. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Who said anything about he has to put all the weight back on? I haven't put all the weight back on and can eat what I like. I do not understand the negativity! It is great you have it under easy control and like your way of life, but the OP was telling us of his success and being positive. So lets be optimistic for him and not all doom and gloom and tell him he hasn't reversed it just has it under control because I challenge that because we do not know ether way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Emzie_86

Emzie_86 Type 2 · Member

Well done!!! My diagnosis was confirmed today. My hbA1c is 51 and the dr isn't concerned right now but said I need to change my lifestyle intensely ( hope that's the right word lol). Hopefully in a few months I will have a success story to :) keep up the good work

• Like Like x 4
  4. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Andrew, with respect, by your own admission before diagnosis you ate a great deal of the wrong foods. So now that you are eating normally, like ordinary non-diabetics, you have reversed your diabetes. Great, good for you, but I'll wager that if you ever returned to your previous eating patterns (ie your own 'normal' diet) the diabetes would return. Many of us never ate wrong foods in the same quantities as you in the first place, we probably became diabetic eating what you are eating now. Your story can be both uplifting and demoralising in equal measure. Many of us have our diabetes under good control, some of us may reverse it, but I don't believe any of us can go back to eating what we ate before diagnosis for long periods of time, without problems with our BG's returning.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. andcol

Retired Moderator

Obviously I couldnt handle my old diet before diagnosis so why would I be able to handle it in the same prolonged fashion now after diagnosis. That doesn't mean, I and the OP and many more of you that consider yourself as just controlled, haven't actually reversed it. The OP claims in his title he has it reversed and therefore I say excellent carry on with the reversal.

No reason to be demoralised Zand. You have achieved wonders and have great results with more to come. Just because I did it in a flash and you are being steady doesn't make any difference. I just want to be positive and encouraging to all. Isn't that what we are all here for; to encourage and support.

• Like Like x 5
  6. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Yes. I just wanted to be able to do it in a flash like you @Andrew Colvin ;):)

• Like Like x 3
  7. andcol

Retired Moderator

lol - I'm just a flash in the pan man!

Sorry, just had to reply to the cheeky wink

• Like Like x 2
  8. mekalu2k4

mekalu2k4 Parent · Well-Known Member

Well done OP and I wish you the very best in future and hope that you live without worrying about T2D. I request you to provide details of your weight reduction - in terms of daily exercises(you did not do any, right?) and diet regimes. Also provide detains on your previous diet patterns, body measurements etc - if you can. Thanks in advance.

9. Sobeit

Sobeit Type 1 · Well-Known Member

10. johncabot

johncabot Type 2 · Newbie

Great news. I have just be told have a under active thyroid does anyone else suffer with this i believe its linked to diabetes.

11. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Hi @johncabot and welcome to the forum. I have hyperthyroidism and take levothyroxine medication. I believe there are a number of other forum members who have this too, but I don't know if there is a connection between this and diabetes. I expect some more clued up people might.

12. Jennifer1008

Jennifer1008 Type 2 · Newbie

Thank you for this. I have recently found it hard to keep the weight off from the last summer successful loss, but once Easter is over and the family returned to their homes, I mean to do another 8 week Newcastle diet, but this time incorporating some Japanese style veggie soups. I do find seeing other people's successful menus helpful for encouragement.

• Like Like x 2
  13. shezy

shezy Type 2 · Member

The Newcastle diet frightened me, I just didn't think I would be able to cope on so few calories and still look after my active 20 month old grandson. Then I found Terri Ann's 123 diet plan on Facebook. It's low carb and low fat and no expensive weekly fees so suited my pocket as well as my need to lose weight and bring my blood sugar levels down. I must admit not to have followed it 100% everyday but since I started it in mid January I have lost 17 lbs and my blood sugar levels are 5 or 6 and never get even as high as 7 anymore. I'm so pleased!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #33 shezy, Mar 25, 2016 at 3:58 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
  14. kathb

kathb Type 2 · Newbie

That is my biggest problem. Seems everything I look to have is no good for me. Always have weetabix or shredders for breakfast. Stucuck then as if I have an open sandwich up it goes. Will be so grateful for any meal ideas to help me get the sugar down. Seeing diabetic nurse in a few day's an I will Not like it if she mentions insulin. Have stopped smoking hoping that would help but not so far.

• Like Like x 1
  15. shezy

shezy Type 2 · Member

Ditch the wheat and cereal as it isn't about just sugar its the carbohydrates. You can have egg and bacon for breakfast or a yoghurt if you need something quick. No more sandwiches not even open ones. Have the ham, tuna or cheese you would have had in the sandwich with a salad instead or even a scotch egg for something quick. I'm about to make myself a big fluffy omelette with peppers for lunch - in less than 7 minutes I'll have a low carb lunch in front of me. No more pasta, potatoes or rice. Yes it's hard to get your head around it but I didn't touch a gram of chocolate over this Easter and I'm really chuffed with myself as not only have my blood sugars plummeted I've lost 20 lbs now. Ps If you are a chocoholic like me Beanies make the most wonderful selections of coffees. I love the Irish cream and Chocolate Orange and no carbs !!

• Like Like x 4
    #35 shezy, Apr 13, 2016 at 1:02 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  16. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

@M C Mollloy - would you like to give us an update on your current (non) diabetic status, and what you've done in the way of maintaining this, please? It would be a useful as well as interesting follow up to see how you're dong.

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TerryinDorset

TerryinDorset Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm similar to your 3 month trip but I religiously followed the Newcastle Diet.
    I've adopted a low calorie/sort-of high fat diet & nearly a year later am still 3 stone lighter than when I started.
    So - well done M C

• Like Like x 1
  18. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I dropped 44 points to have a Hba1c of 47 after 80 days, but I made things easy for myself, never attempted to keep on with the things on the diet sheet which was supposed to be lowering cholesterol and was causing weight gain which was frightening me.
    The diagnosis of diabetes was such a relief.
    No grain, no potatoes or starchy vegetables, no super sweet fruits - and that also lowered cholesterol giving good or ideal ratios, and I've lost over a stone, and all without trying.
    I have an appointment with the practice nurse on Monday, but if she said 'congratulations you are no longer diabetic you can go back to eating cereals again' I would not be rushing off to the shops.
    Not unless I need to buy some smaller clothes again -

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mokkijo

Mokkijo Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Lucky
    Lucky you that you can have cereal, potatoes, pasta , dried fruit & rice. I can't eat any of that.

• Hug Hug x 1
  20. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Lucky indeed. I can't eat any of that either and, at a skinny 7 stone, I have no weight to lose. I am told I am (borderline by my reckoning!) dangerously under weight. I can't eat fruit or underground veg (carrots etc.) either and I am SO BORED WITH WHAT I CAN EAT that I really only eat because I have to, rarely enjoy what I have. I don't particularly like cooking which doesn't help!!!

• Hug Hug x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook