Reversed

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has any T2 on here actually reversed their diabetes, as described in Dr Cavans book? Ie controlled their BG to the point of GTT being positive?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are several threads discussing type 2 reversal. Most of them have Newcastle Diet or ND in the title, if you want to do a forum search. A lot of them are in the low calorie diet section.

I'm not familiar with Cavans though.

Several members have successfully reversed T2, some long term and returning to 'normal' eating.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Has any T2 on here actually reversed their diabetes, as described in Dr Cavans book? Ie controlled their BG to the point of GTT being positive?
Have reversed the D to the extent that my initial bG is below 5.2 and my +2hr is below 5.0 if that is what you mean by GTT positive:cool:
However I still spike to ~10 in the first hour but my insulin response starts to pull things under control spiking @45 mins so I AM STILL a D:(

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I seem to have, although I've never done a clinical OGTT. Why do you ask?

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I asked the author of the book reverse your diabetes the question reversed or cured? His reply was he wouldn't go as far as saying cured but reversed is possible based on a glucose tolerence test. My next hb1ac is end of June wondered if I should ask for a GTT to see if it's reversed?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My opinion is that there's not much difference between reversed and cured. If your pancreas can still pump out loads of insulin and you have gotten rid of your insulin resistance, then you no longer have type 2 diabetes, whether you call that cured or reversed or as I sometimes call it "post diabetic". If I went back to eating to the government dietary guideline of high carb low fat I'd probably become diabetic again, but currently I still consider myself cured, since I have blood glucose levels in the normal range and when I do have something starchy/carby/sugary, my blood glucose level will go up, peak, and come right back down. Although not a perfect analogy, I think of similar to if I fell out of a tree and broke my arm, had it set with a cast, it healed, the cast comes off and I'm cured of my broken arm. Yet, if I fell out of a tree again I could still end up with a broken arm again. So, maybe I just avoid falling from heights the rest of my life and I never get another broken arm. Same for my type 2 diabetes - maybe if I avoid doing what caused it in the first place then maybe it won't come back. Until it comes back, I say I'm cured. Time will tell.

If you had an OGTT as part of your diagnosis, it sure wouldn't hurt to ask for another one if your fasting blood glucose and HbA1c results are in the normal range (i.e. lower than "pre-diabetic".

You can also just do your own OGTT with some Lucozade and a blood glucose monitor.

Keep in mind that a low carb diet can skew the results a bit.