Reversing T2 Diabetes diet (Prof Taylor Newcastle)

kingsman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is anyone on this T2 Diabetes reversal diet ? Anyone it been a success for? Results etc.. I started 4 days ago with dramatic results so far. Lowered fasting blood sugars to 5.7,lowered blood pressure,lowered weight.

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone on this T2 Diabetes reversal diet ? Anyone it been a success for? Results etc.. I started 4 days ago with dramatic results so far. Lowered fasting blood sugars to 5.7,lowered blood pressure,lowered weight.

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi there I was diagnosed type two in November last year my reading then was 51 or 6.6 I immediately went on my own diet counting carbs suger and caleries and writing what I ate down each day, after 3 months my reading was down to 46 ive never had any medication and now 3 more months later my reading was down to 42 the diabetic nurse was very pleased with me, im continuing with my diet I have lost two stone 4 pounds so far and want to lose another two stone I am determined to try reverse this type two diabetes or at least put it in remission hope you do well too kathy

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Kingsman - If you use the forum search facility, you should find some threads on it. A while ago lots of folks did the ND, but in the cycles of things longer term reduced carbing and/or intermittent fasting os popular at the moment.

@Pipp did the ND, and reversed her diabetes some years ago, and has stayed reversed. Similarly, @andcol followed the spirit of the ND, although he used "real food", he stuck to the calorific levels and hence significant deficit. His story is here : http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/got-my-first-3-month-hba1c-results-this-morning.55719/ . There were others too, but right now, my memory fails me.

Personally I just began to follow a reduced carb way of living, which trimmed me up, without trying for weight loss, and have had great results with that. My HbA1c wen to from 73 to 37 in 4 months (I was overseas at the time, so that was the earliest I could be retested), and since I have been lower. For the last 3 years I haven't been more than 34, and the last 3 years never more than 33, with the 33 related to a period of stress whilst undergoing medical tests for something potentially significant. Last one 31.

Good luck with it. It doesn't suit everyone, but those who adapt well to it seem to sort of enjoy the liberation from thinking about food choices.

Reactions: kingsman and ringi

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 in Jan 17. I Read the research by Taylor and the books by Michael Mosley. Cut out processed sugars, cut out sugary snacks, and sugary cereals, now on low carb diet. I count calories and try to keep to 1500 per day. For me 800 was too low and not achievable. I Only drink alcohol occasionally. Increased my water intake. I took up running and do weights at the gym. I lost 16lbs in weight. Lost 2inches off my waist. The last check my Hb1Ac reading was 35, my metformin was reduced from 2 to 1. The doctor was very surprised! The Taylor research is definitely worth reading. It seems the key is to reduce fat from round the middle areas.

Reactions: Serena51 and Mbaker

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Yes, it worked for me.
I've been asked how I did it a few times recently.
I became diabetic after too many donuts, company entertaining, expense account meals, motorway service stations, and piling on weight after becoming more sedentary.

I took a lot of advice from my HCP's, and the NHS dietician, I was very well supported by getting test strips on prescription, and did a classic low fat diet for nearly a year, and attended an NHS gym.
This got my weight, and my BG down to a reasonable level.
I wasn't all the way there though, so I did the Newcastle diet, using Tesco shakes, I had read the posts that it wasn't how long it took the weight to come off, or that you could do it with real food, but I decided the Newcastle diet had clearly worked for some, so I didn't want to change to an unknown variation.
It seemed to work for me as well.
To quantify that though, I am happy to be considered non diabetic if I maintain the figures as advised on this site. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
I don't chase 4's in the morning. I don't test every 15 mins to see how high my spikes are, I don't worry if I rise by more than 2, if I start at 4.8 and finish at 7.6 I'm happy.
In fact I rarely test at all now.
I do still take 500mg of Metformin, but only as I believe it has other benefits.
I realise that doesn't suit some people, but I didn't want to go from being diabetic, to worrying about being diabetic.
I'm fine if I have a normal Hba1c, and no diabetic complications, I have my annual reviews, and a private health screening as well. After 5 years I'm still good.

My lifestyle wasn't really suited to LCHF either. I did try it briefly, but it didn't work for me due to the limitations.
I enjoy being out, I don't holidays on the tourist routes, and I tend to eat with the locals, and drink with the locals. I walk a lot when I'm out, or I may use the local transit systems, I rarely use taxis though.
I want to see the world, not take mine with me.
Unfortunately for many, rice, pasta, potato, bread, all feature heavily if you eat street food. So does lager.
I also scuba dive, and you can't ask the skipper to take the boat back to shore if all they have is a kettle, porridge, and instant noodles. But saying as I burn several thousand calories diving, not eating isn't an option.
I plan to overland in the coming years, I've just bought a 4x4, so it'll be in poorer counties, which are always carb heavy foods, so again I want to be able to cope with that.
I am permanently on a diet though, in the sense I won't eat a tray of donuts as a snack, I do eat Mediterranean diet when I can, I avoid saturated fats when I can, I do watch my weight, and if it creeps up again I'll go back onto the 800 cal shakes until I'm happy again, but I'll also rob Peter to pay Paul, I can overeat at Christmas, and diet in the New Year.
My tastes have changed as well, I don't enjoy sweet food, I re-educated my taste buds from sweet to spicy, so a very hot chili, or curry is better than a packet of sweets now.
But, and this is important to me, in a pinch I can eat, and live on anything, without worrying what's in it, or what effect it'll have on me.
If I couldn't do that, I would seriously have to change my life, and I don't want to do that.
This year I been in two countries, one I was living on cous cous, potato, and bread mainly, the other was pizza, pasta, and ice cream. (I'm planning others in the summer).
So both would be an utter nightmare on LCHF, or if you need to control your intake in any way at all I guess.

kingsman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ThankYou for all your comments,appreciated. Its now been 4 weeks since I started this diet.I have lost 2 stone in weight and reduced my blood sugar readings for fasting average; 4.8mmol and 2 hours after meals 6.2 mmol. I then put it to the test and went and indulged ,binged myself in chocolate and cakes. The last time I did that same binge 10 months ago,my reading went to 10 mmol! This time It went to 7.5. Even better was ,I felt no different than before,no hyper symptoms ect. Now I'm eating normally,not taking meds, and my readings are withing the guidelines of a non diabetic.

My next question is,how do you know when you have successfully reversed diabetes? What tests do can the NHS or private do to have it officially confirmed that one is now a non diabetic ?

Reactions: marathonmona

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Congratulations.. sounds like you have done really well with the Newcastle diet and with only 4 weeks on it rather than the 8 weeks.

I am going to give the Dr Mosley Blood Sugar Diet a try. I've been doing LCHF for a few months but think a sharp burst on v low calorie might help get me over the carbs intolerance (I'd like to be able to eat a few more carbs without worrying).

Sorry I can't answer your question about how you know if its reversed but thanks so much for posting. Your story has given me further encouragement.

Reactions: kingsman

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You don't know if you have reversed Type2 until you have eaten enough carbs on enough days to get it back again........ But being able eat a meal out 1 or 2 times a week without thinking about carbs would be a great result.

The problem is that Type2 comes after insulin resistance has got very bad, and we have no practical way to measure insulin resistance so as to get a warning before BG start to go out of control.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @kingsman very well done, I rate anyone who can stick to such a stringent protocol.

My advice would be to slide to LCHF with exercise (add muscle so yoy would put on healthy muscle weight which lowers blood sugar) after the Newcastle diet. I am have been at Disney for over a week and had fasting sugars below 5 everyday whilst eating salads (without dressing), ribs, chicken, beef, pork, fish, vegetables, burgers without the bun, coleslaw, omlettes.

There are stark choices to make if you transition to LCHF for example my family were having decadent desserts whilst I had strawberries and sour cream (luckily for me I have never liked off the shelf carrot cakes etc, I like sponges, apple / cherry pie typre desserts). Items such as fries are off limits for me also, but if there were thick cut qualitative chips I would have 4 or 5.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ThankYou for all your comments,appreciated. Its now been 4 weeks since I started this diet.I have lost 2 stone in weight and reduced my blood sugar readings for fasting average; 4.8mmol and 2 hours after meals 6.2 mmol. I then put it to the test and went and indulged ,binged myself in chocolate and cakes. The last time I did that same binge 10 months ago,my reading went to 10 mmol! This time It went to 7.5. Even better was ,I felt no different than before,no hyper symptoms ect. Now I'm eating normally,not taking meds, and my readings are withing the guidelines of a non diabetic.

My next question is,how do you know when you have successfully reversed diabetes? What tests do can the NHS or private do to have it officially confirmed that one is now a non diabetic ?
@kingsman
Please accept my apologies for not responding to an earlier tag from DCUKMod. I don't know how I missed this.
Congratulations on your progress. Impressive results with weight loss, and blood glucose control.
It has been six years since I lost weight and regained non-diabetes blood glucose levels. For about two years after I believed I was able to eat anything, and at one stage, to test the theory that I could indeed eat whatever I chose to I tried an experiment. I ate vast quantities of carb heavy food. Some would say it was a binge, and I guess it was. All in the interests of science, you understand! I found that blood glucose levels remained at non-diabetes levels. Beware though. That single experiment left me with carb craving that took around three months to dispel. Although BG levels have remained fine, I have regained around half the weight lost originally. (I add here that I had a period of 18 months following two major surgical procedures when I was dependent on hospital food, and others providing meals for me ) . I have also had a recent HbA1c that took me just into pre-diabetes levels. A wake up call. Possibly due to getting older, still not at an acceptable weight, (though 20+ kg less than I was prior to ND), and meds for other health conditions. Sort of solved as most recent HbA1c was 41, so just on the cusp of pre-diabetes levels. I remain cautious about diet and exercise.
The stage I am at now is that I maintain weight by low carb eating. Although through BG testing it appears that there are no foods causing major spikes, I avoid high carb foods because I don't have a taste for them any more. I prefer to replace carb heavy foods with more vegetables.

Be aware that the Newcastle diet is not just about the calorie restriction phase. Professor Taylor cautions that following the very low calorie phase it is important to keep weight off, and avoid going over the 'personal fat threshold'. To do so he recommends consuming much less than you had prior to starting the programme.

If you are taking anything from this advice, let it be that you should be proud of your achievement, but remain vigilant. It would be a shame if your efforts were in vain if by not following the post calorie restriction phase you were to find yourself in a similar situation as before. Don't be in too great a hurry to have the D label removed

To answer your questions.....
How do you know when you have successfully reversed diabetes? This is still debateable. After I had two years non-diabetes HbA1c tests the practice nurse was considering declaring me non-diabetic, and removing me from diabetes register. As I have many relatives with diabetes I did not like this idea, as it meant I would not longer get the annual tests. (Eye screening, foot checks etc). Other HCPs have since suggested that 'once diabetic always diabetic'. I am of the opinion that it is possible to reverse a reversal, so content to go along with that. After all, I don`t know if having had high BG levels for 5 years prior to ND have caused permanent damage to my pancreas.
The tests I rely on to check my diabetic / non-diabetic status are the HbA1c tests caried out by GP surgery three or four times a year, and my own monitoring of blood glucose levels with the BG meter.

Best wishes for your continued success.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@kingsman
Please accept my apologies for not responding to an earlier tag from DCUKMod. I don't know how I missed this.
Congratulations on your progress. Impressive results with weight loss, and blood glucose control.
It has been six years since I lost weight and regained non-diabetes blood glucose levels. For about two years after I believed I was able to eat anything, and at one stage, to test the theory that I could indeed eat whatever I chose to I tried an experiment. I ate vast quantities of carb heavy food. Some would say it was a binge, and I guess it was. All in the interests of science, you understand! I found that blood glucose levels remained at non-diabetes levels. Beware though. That single experiment left me with carb craving that took around three months to dispel. Although BG levels have remained fine, I have regained around half the weight lost originally. (I add here that I had a period of 18 months following two major surgical procedures when I was dependent on hospital food, and others providing meals for me ) . I have also had a recent HbA1c that took me just into pre-diabetes levels. A wake up call. Possibly due to getting older, still not at an acceptable weight, (though 20+ kg less than I was prior to ND), and meds for other health conditions. Sort of solved as most recent HbA1c was 41, so just on the cusp of pre-diabetes levels. I remain cautious about diet and exercise.
The stage I am at now is that I maintain weight by low carb eating. Although through BG testing it appears that there are no foods causing major spikes, I avoid high carb foods because I don't have a taste for them any more. I prefer to replace carb heavy foods with more vegetables.

Be aware that the Newcastle diet is not just about the calorie restriction phase. Professor Taylor cautions that following the very low calorie phase it is important to keep weight off, and avoid going over the 'personal fat threshold'. To do so he recommends consuming much less than you had prior to starting the programme.

If you are taking anything from this advice, let it be that you should be proud of your achievement, but remain vigilant. It would be a shame if your efforts were in vain if by not following the post calorie restriction phase you were to find yourself in a similar situation as before. Don't be in too great a hurry to have the D label removed

To answer your questions.....
How do you know when you have successfully reversed diabetes? This is still debateable. After I had two years non-diabetes HbA1c tests the practice nurse was considering declaring me non-diabetic, and removing me from diabetes register. As I have many relatives with diabetes I did not like this idea, as it meant I would not longer get the annual tests. (Eye screening, foot checks etc). Other HCPs have since suggested that 'once diabetic always diabetic'. I am of the opinion that it is possible to reverse a reversal, so content to go along with that. After all, I don`t know if having had high BG levels for 5 years prior to ND have caused permanent damage to my pancreas.
The tests I rely on to check my diabetic / non-diabetic status are the HbA1c tests caried out by GP surgery three or four times a year, and my own monitoring of blood glucose levels with the BG meter.

Best wishes for your continued success.
A great post.

Reactions: kingsman

Md2t

Type of diabetes
Type 2

My own GP very wisely changed my diagnosis to 'diabetic controlled by diet' which allowed her to continue prescribing test strips for my glucose meter. That suited me because I use frequent blood glucose testing to give early warning of any rises without waiting for periodic Hba1c tests. I also occasionally do several tests in a day to see the effect of different foods, which lets me constantly vary my low carb diet without the worry of unknowingly straying into higher blood glucose levels. I believe we all have different carbohydrate tolerances and my frequent testing shows that I can get away with temporary increases in carb intake without permanent damage. I also do irregular intermittent fasting and the testing warns if I'm getting near the lower limit for driving, although I'm very unlikely to be incapacitated by a hypo since I gave up all diabetes medications years ago.

veggirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 2014, dieted down from 89kg to 65kg and hba1c from 66mmol to 38mmol, so no longer diabetic but have now gone up to 70kg, hba1c 46mmol. This largely due to eating more carbs so now back onto low carb and hoping to move onto Newcastle with food rather than shakes once I've got used to no carbs again. This goes to show that there is no cure only remission providing you stick to the diet. I have not used medication as 1 week of Metformin had me fainting and seeing flashing yellow lights. I am 62 and weight loss gets harder as you get older

steviedib

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who park on pavements

steviedib

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

steviedib

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not this one but have followed the Michael Mosley varient with some success.
Lost 5kg. Insulin cut from 34 units a day to 13. Lost 2 inches on waist and gone from x large tee shirts to large.
Blood sugar readings averaging 7 from 8.5 but with much less insulin.
9 weeks and continuing with it for now.

Reactions: Pipp

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 11 months in, My blood sugar readings on LCHF have been in the 4's btoh fasting and average for the last 10 days( using 24/7 monitor. My high has been 5.6 even after meals . I have not seen a 6 at any time in the 10 days. This evening I treated myself to a carby Indian curry and two bags of crisps The monitor didn't budge.

On the evidence of this if I was being tested for diabetes as a new start today I simply would not be diagnosed at all. For me I view it as being - diabetes controlled by diet, I am grateful if that means I can eat something carby once in a while but I have no desire to go back to old ways of eating anyway.

I am concluding that many diets work, low carb, low calorie. LCHF is probably the easiest to stick to and especially to lose wieght with . The thing they all seem to have in common is that a calorie deficit is key. Thus its seems to be a lot easier to control diabetes as an overweight T2 than it is being a slim one ! - I knew there had to be some advantage to the rolls of flab !

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi. It's about a year since I did this diet. After the 8 weeks I was a bit confused as to what I could eat Once I got to grips with testing my own sugars I began to realize what I should cut out and what was ok To keep the price down I bought a lot of strips in bulk so my daily testing costs are less than the price of a coffee. A year in I'm still finding ways of tweaking what I eat and I feel a lot better.