Reversing Type 2 Diabetes

PatRobertson

Hello everyone out there who is trying to reverse their disease.

Let me introduce myself. I am a University Educated Nurse, who, having lived with Diabetes in my household, had a special interest in Type 2 Diabetes.

I was diagnosed in May of 1985, so I have had it for almost 31 years.

As my mother and brother had Type 2 Diabetes I had been trying to prevent it by trying to keep my weight down. I was successful in doing this with 2 different diets. The first was a 3 day per week "fast" along the lines of Dr. Michael Mosely's 5:2. The second was a 1200 calorie diet of the time, one that was suggested to diabetics in the '50's and '60's and early '70's.
Both worked temporarily but it was not easy, not something I could do for a long time. Slowly, my weight crept on. During that time dieticians and nutritionists were not available any longer to "hold your hand" to help you with your weight issues. During that time the high carbohydrate diet was devised. I was diagnosed and went to Diabetes Education, where I was re-educated about the dangers of fat for the diabetics, and how carbohydrates and even sugars were not so bad as I had always understood them to be. I took it to heart, and continued on the path of a mildly diabetic to a severely diabetic gaining more weight with each new pharmacological treatment as time went on. Despondency set in and it was difficult to exercise.

In January of this year (2005), after much mulling about why was this not working, (despite all the new stuff - carb counting, 5 insulin injections daily, the plate method and encouragement of more exercise, my blood sugars were high as was my A1C), I decided to ditch the plate method in favour of the old tried and true diet of old. I had read Dr. Mosely's book after seeing the BBC documentary and added fasting as I had tried it in the '60's and it had worked then.
I began to lose a modest amount of weight.

Then one day while playing on the internet, I came across a u-tube video by Dr. Jason Fung. It was just like being back in the University lecture hall with a knowledgeable doctor making sense. Suddenly my Diabetic Depression was GONE! I had HOPE! This disease did not have to be a lead weight on my shoulders. I could enjoy life again.

Since then I have followed his teachings. Low Carbohydrate High Fat diet accompanied by Intermittent Fasting. Sounds not unlike what I was doing in the '60's, but more rigorous. In fact it is exactly like how Diabetes was treated before 1921, before the "discovery" of insulin. And it has worked for me.
I have lost over 30 lb. and am off insulin and blood pressure pills. This year, for the first time in many years, the government is not paying a portion of the medication cost as I have not spent enough money on medications for its program to kick in.

I am not out of the woods yet, still have to lose at least as much again, before my blood sugar readings are normal, but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel and life is good again.

If you have been successful in beating this disease, or want to do so, please join me on this forum.

Reactions: 18 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sounds like you're joining us on this forum. Welcome.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forums :)
I would rather say my T2 is in remission .. and I intend it to stay in remission .. ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is a very inspiring story and i am so happy all of yout hard work has paid off! I salute You!

Mafat

Pat Robertson-

Looks like you have almost won the battle.Thanks for posting such a encouraging results by following Fasting protocols.Those who would like to read more about Dr.Jason Fung please visit following link & I assure you that will change your life. Make sure you also read the responses from readers.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Pat - I found your story very moving, and very inspirational.

How do you deal with the fact that Diabetes Education actually contributed to your ill health like that? Not only are you a health professional - you have such an clear-cut historical overview if you like, and personal insight into how the High Carbs Low Fat did to you and those of us with insulin resistance tendencies - such a clear-cut disservice (to put it mildly!) - does it make you angry? And if so - how do you deal with it?

I ask as I get angry, especially as I would dearly love to see some timely recantation going on - and it ain't happening! If anything - it is getting worse! My own government in cahoots with the main diabetes charity, is busily telling everyone that added sugar is part of a healthy balanced diet - including for diabetics! I could scream. And how do you deal with it as a nurse? My sister is a nurse, and we talk about the huge difference between how I treat my T2D, and what she is taught to do, and now lately - a nurses review article telling nurses and health professionals to advise against Paleo, LCHF, IF and no-sugar - in short - everything I do to treat my T2D!
(http://www.nursingreview.co.nz/assets/Issues/June-2015/Nursing-Review-June-2015-Fad-Diets.pdf)

Grrr! And yeah - hilarious!

And then I read your story and wonder how you deal with the absolutely terrible nutritional advice you got, with the so-called healthy plate model. (So many carbs! So little healthy fat!)

But yes, now with the power of the internet (and for me too - public libraries) - we are educating ourselves, and so important - talking to each other - and hopefully getting the word out there to other diabetics who aren't getting to Fung (and some to Taylor - but I too like the sustainability and great results of LCHF, and IFing that you do too.)

So good luck with going into remission! (Like Enclave, I too use that word.) And I hope to read much more of you in here.

Reactions: 9 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its great to see you are getting yourself on track and it is great you have joined us on the forum. I have also managed to put my diabetes into remmission and I intend to keep it there.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your results, and getting out of your diabetic depression!

I have managed to put my T2D into remission very quickly, using a strict LCHF diet, and recently I added Intermittent Fasting a la Moseley and Fung. My BG keeps improving, and I'm shedding fat, and I've never felt better in my life!

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another diabetic here with low numbers thanks to the help from these forums

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's tragic the huge number of Type 2's who are sent down the wrong path by so called health professionals, and end up making the disease far worse than it should be.

There are numerous examples on these forums of people who have grabbed control of their Diabetes from the word go by ignoring the "guidelines"

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetics with good control and good low numbers must dred a visit to any NHS hospital for any time longer than a day,

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Nice to read such a great and interesting success story , the more the word is spread about low carb diets and fasting it the better.

nicktan147

I pushed myself quite hard after recently being diagnosed with diabetes, I have gone for low carb for the past 1 month, it drops from 15.0 mmol (Lab result October) to 7.0 mmol (Lab result November) without any medication, however, I have ketones increased due to lack of carbs, burning fats as energy. Any guide out there I could use? I'm glad everyone is doing well with their diabetes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I pushed myself quite hard after recently being diagnosed with diabetes, I have gone for low carb for the past 1 month, it drops from 15.0 mmol (Lab result October) to 7.0 mmol (Lab result November) without any medication, however, I have ketones increased due to lack of carbs, burning fats as energy. Any guide out there I could use? I'm glad everyone is doing well with their diabetes.

if you do a google search for 'nutritional ketosis' it should throw up some interesting info.
and
Voleck and Phinney have a book (Art and Science of Low Carb Living) that should answer most questions about LCHF and ketosis.

But, in a nutshell, with your blood glucose as low as that (well done, by the way), you are burning the ketones as fuel for brain, organs and muscles, so the ketones are a good thing.

They only become a bad thing when combined with sustained, very high blood glucose, which can result in ketoacidosis.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone out there who is trying to reverse their disease.

Let me introduce myself. I am a University Educated Nurse, who, having lived with Diabetes in my household, had a special interest in Type 2 Diabetes.

I was diagnosed in May of 1985, so I have had it for almost 31 years.

As my mother and brother had Type 2 Diabetes I had been trying to prevent it by trying to keep my weight down. I was successful in doing this with 2 different diets. The first was a 3 day per week "fast" along the lines of Dr. Michael Mosely's 5:2. The second was a 1200 calorie diet of the time, one that was suggested to diabetics in the '50's and '60's and early '70's.
Both worked temporarily but it was not easy, not something I could do for a long time. Slowly, my weight crept on. During that time dieticians and nutritionists were not available any longer to "hold your hand" to help you with your weight issues. During that time the high carbohydrate diet was devised. I was diagnosed and went to Diabetes Education, where I was re-educated about the dangers of fat for the diabetics, and how carbohydrates and even sugars were not so bad as I had always understood them to be. I took it to heart, and continued on the path of a mildly diabetic to a severely diabetic gaining more weight with each new pharmacological treatment as time went on. Despondency set in and it was difficult to exercise.

In January of this year (2005), after much mulling about why was this not working, (despite all the new stuff - carb counting, 5 insulin injections daily, the plate method and encouragement of more exercise, my blood sugars were high as was my A1C), I decided to ditch the plate method in favour of the old tried and true diet of old. I had read Dr. Mosely's book after seeing the BBC documentary and added fasting as I had tried it in the '60's and it had worked then.
I began to lose a modest amount of weight.

Then one day while playing on the internet, I came across a u-tube video by Dr. Jason Fung. It was just like being back in the University lecture hall with a knowledgeable doctor making sense. Suddenly my Diabetic Depression was GONE! I had HOPE! This disease did not have to be a lead weight on my shoulders. I could enjoy life again.

Since then I have followed his teachings. Low Carbohydrate High Fat diet accompanied by Intermittent Fasting. Sounds not unlike what I was doing in the '60's, but more rigorous. In fact it is exactly like how Diabetes was treated before 1921, before the "discovery" of insulin. And it has worked for me.
I have lost over 30 lb. and am off insulin and blood pressure pills. This year, for the first time in many years, the government is not paying a portion of the medication cost as I have not spent enough money on medications for its program to kick in.

I am not out of the woods yet, still have to lose at least as much again, before my blood sugar readings are normal, but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel and life is good again.

If you have been successful in beating this disease, or want to do so, please join me on this forum.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please can you tell me where to look to find this low cab high fat diet. Also does the high fat cause problems with cholesterol
Thank you

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Please can you tell me where to look to find this low cab high fat diet. Also does the high fat cause problems with cholesterol
Thank you
Hi Miriam, if you have a look at Brunneria's post a bit before yours there is a reference at the bottom [in red] to www.dietdoctor.com where you will learn all you need to know about lchf or you can click on the red reference here

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Thank you

I found LCHF improved my my blood lipid panel results probably because of the increase in "good" fats and oils..

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forums :)
I would rather say my T2 is in remission .. and I intend it to stay in remission .. ;)
Have to say I still aspire to be a Diabetic with non-diabetic blood sugar levels....

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pat - I found your story very moving, and very inspirational.

How do you deal with the fact that Diabetes Education actually contributed to your ill health like that? Not only are you a health professional - you have such an clear-cut historical overview if you like, and personal insight into how the High Carbs Low Fat did to you and those of us with insulin resistance tendencies - such a clear-cut disservice (to put it mildly!) - does it make you angry? And if so - how do you deal with it?

I ask as I get angry, especially as I would dearly love to see some timely recantation going on - and it ain't happening! If anything - it is getting worse! My own government in cahoots with the main diabetes charity, is busily telling everyone that added sugar is part of a healthy balanced diet - including for diabetics! I could scream. And how do you deal with it as a nurse? My sister is a nurse, and we talk about the huge difference between how I treat my T2D, and what she is taught to do, and now lately - a nurses review article telling nurses and health professionals to advise against Paleo, LCHF, IF and no-sugar - in short - everything I do to treat my T2D!
(http://www.nursingreview.co.nz/assets/Issues/June-2015/Nursing-Review-June-2015-Fad-Diets.pdf)

Grrr! And yeah - hilarious!

And then I read your story and wonder how you deal with the absolutely terrible nutritional advice you got, with the so-called healthy plate model. (So many carbs! So little healthy fat!)

But yes, now with the power of the internet (and for me too - public libraries) - we are educating ourselves, and so important - talking to each other - and hopefully getting the word out there to other diabetics who aren't getting to Fung (and some to Taylor - but I too like the sustainability and great results of LCHF, and IFing that you do too.)

So good luck with going into remission! (Like Enclave, I too use that word.) And I hope to read much more of you in here.

@AloeSvea

Funny how ignorant people are (even doctors). I found last week while digging out papers from my garage that my FBG (at that time) 6 years ago was 103 mg/dl (5.8mmols) I wasn't told by my orthopedist which means I was pre-diabetic with that number. It wasn't until 2¼ years ago that I was officially diagnosed. So I've been fighting T2DM for 6 years (4 years of which were of me unknowing the battle in progress).

So after reading much about T2DM I'm putting a great deal of faith in Dr Jason Fung. I'm now on a regime of eating once every two days. T2DM is (at least for me) a story of Insulin resistance. The easiest way to desensitize my body from insulin is to fast. So I am doing alternate 47hour fasts. Have a grand meal then wake up the next day and start all over again for another 47 hours.

So today I woke and tested and came in with a 99 mg /dl an un-diabetic number of 5.5 mmols. I didn't exercise yesterday but after dinner tonight I will exercise. Today without any food I am desensitizing my body from insulin. Next month / next year my body will thank me. Reading this here

http://www.nourishbalancethrive.com/blog/2015/11/27/jason-fung-transcript/

&

www.tinyurl.com/Dr-JasonFung is fantastic to understand what is really going on when we are fighting T2DM

LBB

Last edited by a moderator: