riding the diabetes rollercoaster

misshannon99

no havent read the book but i would advise you to read it my friend did and she got loads of help from it i have type one diabetes i am 12 years old i have had it for 9 years

NigelM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have read the book and it is very good. I think that it is a bit too involved if this is a first book or you are still in the early days of treatment.

I found that there were some issues that the doctors and nurses never mentioned, such as how to calculate dosage adjustments if you are forced to take a second injection (of fast acting) within 3 hours.

The only problem is that it is written for the market in the USA and the units are all different so you have to be prepared to do some conversion work.

Nigel

NigelM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having looked at the web site, I see this is a UK book, or at least edition. Whether it is based on the book I got from the States by the same name in 2000, I don't know. That had a green cover with a graph on the fron, if I remember correctly. I will dig out my copy and check the authors etc.

Nigel

NigelM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have checked and the title of the book that I read was Stop the Rollercoaster by John Walsh and Ruth Roberts. I also have a book called Using Insulin by the same authors. Both are excellent and quite technical.

I have ordered the book you mentioned here - I am an incurable book collector. I will let you know what it's like once I have seen it.

Nigel

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I have entered a competition to try and win the book,if I don't win I will probably buy it!

NigelM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just bought the book on amazon and was a touch disappointed. The book seems to be mostly about chaos theory and how it can be used to describe the control of diabetes. I have only read the first chapter so far, but a flick through the chapters did not uncover an tips on how to control the "rollercoaster". I will add a further comment when I have read the whole book. If you are looking for a book to tell you how to adjust insulin dosage, cope with sports, allow for residual insulin, then this is not it. If you are looking for help coming to terms with the fact that you'll never get it all quite right, then this is what the books seems to major on.

I will read it, having spent the money!

Nigel

NigelM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have now read the book and while it is interesting it is a book about applying chaos theory to Diabetes, using it as an exemplar. It did not shead any light on how to cope with it. It seemed like a rather long, and expensive way of saying that diabetes is a complex illness and the solutions are not that easy!

Nigel