Rise in blood sugars after waking

Glynis1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cats, loud music and yoghurt
Hi, I am a veteran type 1 of 48 years. However I have recently started to try and low carb as I need to lose some weight. On waking my blood sugars are well within normal range - 4.8 - 6.5. I miss out breakfast but take my long acting Levemir (taken as 2 shots am and pm). I am finding that from rising from bed that my blood sugar is rising to 8 or 9 even though I am not taking any carbohydrate. I have tried the bullet proof coffee (no carbs) but it doesn't make any difference. I am now having to take 25 to 50% of my short acting (Novorapid) to try and stop the spike. Anyone got any ideas how to stop blood sugar rising when low/no carbing ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Glynis1
your body is "waking up" and so to combat this rise any protein like a chunk of cheese or slice of cooked meat should assist in slowing the rise down.
the levemir is too slow to counteract this early morning rise.

I find this happens to me as well so you're not alone.:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I find this too, if I don't inject and eat upon waking I get a liver dump which can send my bg levels into double digits.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same for me. My bg will rise 2 to 3 units in the first hour.
It's counter intuitive but eating something (& injecting for it) helps.

Glynis1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cats, loud music and yoghurt
Thank you for your replies. My biggest battle to shift the insulin induced weight gain so I am trying to really cut back on the amount of short acting I need to inject to try and counter it. I have read that taking protein can also turn to glucose so all that is left is fat. So I am trying the bullet proof coffee with coconut oil and unsalted butter - yep it sounds disgusting and takes some getting used to!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you for your replies. My biggest battle to shift the insulin induced weight gain so I am trying to really cut back on the amount of short acting I need to inject to try and counter it. I have read that taking protein can also turn to glucose so all that is left is fat. So I am trying the bullet proof coffee with coconut oil and unsalted butter - yep it sounds disgusting and takes some getting used to!

But you'll still going to need a shot of Novo if you don't want to see your bg climb to 9 before lunch, by all means try the coffee (yes it does sound disgusting) and see how you get on.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It may sound disgusting, but once blended it's actually delicious, like coffee with cream but better.

It's also the only way some of us can get the fat we need not to lose weight.

Just saying :)

Last edited by a moderator: