Risks comparisons with the general population

SimonX

I am looking for some basic and simple information which defines in statistical (percentage) terms the likelihood of someone with type 2 diabetes developing the complications associated with the condition (so Cardiovascular Disease; Retinopathy; Neuropathy; Nephropathy; Hypoglycaemia; Diabetic Ketoacidosis; Hyperglycaemic State) when compared with the general population. Specifically I would like something which states for each complication the percentage risk for the general population and the percentage risk for the diabetic type 2 population.

FYI I need this as I am getting divorced and the court as ordered me to produce this so that they may assess my potential need for greater financil support than a non diabetic.

Any assistance would be greatly received.

I can be contacted directly on *Mod edit email address removed*Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Simon.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My personal opinion is that the risks of problems in diabetes relate to blood glucose levels. It seems from what I've read, that it's glucose circulating in the micro-capillaries, that does damage. since non-diabetics have a blood glucose level around or just below 5 most of the time, the nearer the diabetic can keep to this, the lower the risks.
However trying to achieve a low Bg through use of multiple medicines in large doses, transferrs the risk to the medicine regime. this is what the results of the Irish study show
If the bg is kept under control mainly by diet and Metformin [in T2 anyway] then the risks of complications just go with Hb A1c.
a non-diabetic tends to have an HbA1c around 4.6% - 5.0%
This is my firm belief and what evidence there is bears it out.
hana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
PS
Ihave had T2 for about 10 years. I keep to a tight diet and other than the retinopathy, which Ialready had at diagnosis and which Ihave reduced, I have no other complications. My cardiovascular risk is low. I have had a stroke, but that was before diagnosis . My cholesterol and triglycerides are much better than the targets. My kidney profile is also good. My feet are fine and my periferal circulation is too.
I keep my HbA1c in the 5% range, which is still too high. I aim to get down to about 4.5% sometime soon.
Hana Rous

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Try this one

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673609619693

Its a UK study that does what you want I think. It assumes you will end up of the classic NHS drug escalator as T2D and end up on insulin. The results were overturned by a later Swedish study last year so maybe don't mention that. I'm not sure if we have got around to agreeing with the Swedes yet but given the state of diabetes care in this country its doubtful we have!

SimonX

Thanks guys but unfortunately all these statistics are stated by way of 2, 15 or whatever time more likely to develop and this is not good enough as simply put 15 time 0.1 percent gives 1.5% (andstill a low risk) where as 15 times 2% gives 30% and therfore a 1 in 3 chace of it happning and then the court will consider it is significant and award me compensation.

Simon.

SimonX

Thanks Catherine - I have tried that already and they say that they are NOT ALLOWED to put my call through to anyone else and they only offer care advice - rather unhelpful I thought.

Simon.

C

catherinecherub

Have you tried your G.P./Consultant? You may have to pay them but they would have access I would think.

SimonX

Ho borofergi,

Yes I am looking for actuarial stats and I have even talked to several insurers but they ownt release them to me. I am specifically looking for the statistics on COMPLICATIONS and NOT repeat NOT on life expectancy as if I say my life expectancy is reduced then I aparently need LESS money where as if I say my RISK OF COMPLICATIONS is INCREASED I need MORE money.

Any more ideas.

Simon.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
SimonX said:
Yes I am looking for actuarial stats and I have even talked to several insurers but they ownt release them to me. I am specifically looking for the statistics on COMPLICATIONS and NOT repeat NOT on life expectancy as if I say my life expectancy is reduced then I aparently need LESS money where as if I say my RISK OF COMPLICATIONS is INCREASED I need MORE money.

What about on Page 836 (or page 3 of the pdf): Table 2 Increase/decrease in relative risk, holding everything else constant, for different types of macro-vascular events

C

catherinecherub

Insurance companies increase the amount paid out on annuities at retirement age if people have been registered as diabetic. They assume from their statistics that we will not live so long.