Roche insight or medtronic640g

cheche

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys I am awaiting funding for a pump and have been told to start looking at pumps. I have narrowed it down to the Roche insight and the Medtronic 640g. I was wandering if any one has any experience with either and could they let me know on their views please?
Thanks
Kellie:)

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I've seen the insight and don't really like it. Its tied heavily to the Meter. The 640 isn't but has the option to use the Meter if you wish. The insight cannot be fully controlled without the remote. Which for me is no good.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the insight you can do everything with the pump itself. There are several things that you can only do with the pump and cannot do with the meter.

The main value of the insight meter for me is the data review screens and history. The smart bolus calculator in the meter is also very good.

Reactions: 4 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Brava210 as @ElyDave mentions you are able to control from the Insight Pump, you do not need the Remote should you choose not to use it on occasions.

Reactions: 4 people

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
My mistake. This is what the nurse told me

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
So you can tell insulin on board etc without remote. BG wizard etc?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IOB on the pump I've not checked as my boluses tend to be small and well spaced out so I don't normally have any expectation of anything lingering, BG wizard no, that's what the meter is for. I have seen on one or two occaisions where I've miscounted a meal and corretced, that the handset calcs included a reduction for IOB.

WHat you can do is set TBRs, set and deliver boluses including multi-wave, part delayed etc. Stop/start pump, do all the priming etc associated with cannula and reservoir changes

You can also review history such as boluses delivered, TDDs, TBRs used, battery and reservoir status.

I'd say that if you start with the pump, all the pump functions are accessible from the handset, with the added functions of the BG testing and bolus wizard

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I think its hard to ask for advice on what pump to get esp as there are 2 new pumps available but none of them have been in use long enough yet in order to get good feedback, so good luck.

cheche

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was just getting thoughts and experiences from people who have used them :):)

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I would need all info on pump. As I cannot always carry a remote .

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would need all info on pump. As I cannot always carry a remote .
Out of curiosity, why not?

I've got some difficulties in carrying a remote as well, as some of my work requires me to go into areas that are zoned as at risk of having an explosive atmosphere. You can take precautions over this, with the pump itself being IPX8 so suitable for Zone 2 areas.

Teh handset on the Insight can be turned off completely so no risk there and I can always carry a gas detector with me - thats one of the reasons I was happy to change from the CellNovo as the pump handset there could not be switched off as it interacted witth "the cloud"

My biggest problem to be honest is running and cycling where there is the chance of the handset getting wet.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think its hard to ask for advice on what pump to get esp as there are 2 new pumps available but none of them have been in use long enough yet in order to get good feedback, so good luck.

Factual information on how it works, that's no problem

Feedback on daily use/effect on lifstyle/foibles and quirks, yes I agree - too early.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I do an isolated manual jib and do not have room on me to carry another object. I would break it

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do an isolated manual jib and do not have room on me to carry another object. I would break it
what do you do now for your BG tester?

The handset is no bigger than my Glucomen LX machines.

TBH you'll have the same issue whatever pump you use as they all need BG testing somehow.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do you need the handset on you all the time?

No you don't. You can bolus from the pump but to do basal eate changes, change more detailed things at leisure then it is so easy to do from the handset...

Everyday functioning for work can be done from the pump.

Due to the enormous amount of detail available with the insight pump it cannit hd everything on the Insight handset either.
Some things like 15 minute basal rates have to be dine on the 360 degree software and downloaded to the pump.

Me, I dont download at all. Certain actions like cannula fill, tube fill etc have to be done on pump but everything else I do on remote. That is solely because I wear pump on my arm.

cheche

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's great it will be fine for work then that is my biggest worry :)

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you go onto the insight website there is an e learning module that you can complete. It might help you to make your decision.
I have just found out that I will be going onto the insight in the next couple of months.

Reactions: 2 people

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
what do you do now for your BG tester?

The handset is no bigger than my Glucomen LX machines.

TBH you'll have the same issue whatever pump you use as they all need BG testing somehow.

I use accu chek mobile as I find fiddling with strips when you are low is not easy.