Roche Insight Pump

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So, as some people may be contemplating this pump or getting one in the next few weeks, I thought I would ask people to give feedback here on thoughts of it.

My first thoughts:-
Collected cartridges today. Blimey, they really are tiny compared to the Combo cartridges.

Chemist says I also will have to give them a weeks notice each time if they are going to be regularly used....well, as they would be on my repeat script at that chemist for them to get...Isn't this down to the chemist to sort out?

So, my first point is that the cartridges are so small. Although I knew they are only 1.6ml it is really scarey to see how they are half the size of other ones and with me using the longest length tubes.. Well Si reckon I will be lucky to get 3 days. Will let you know next week providing NENE CCG do not quash my upgrade..

Cannot see this size cartridge or pump being much good for people if they are using more than 30 units a day in total. However will ley you know how long a cartridge lasts me and how much insulin Total I used each day...

Reactions: 2 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
So, as some people may be contemplating this pump or getting one in the next few weeks, I thought I would ask people to give feedback here on thoughts of it.

My first thoughts:-
Collected cartridges today. Blimey, they really are tiny compared to the Combo cartridges.

Chemist says I also will have to give them a weeks notice each time if they are going to be regularly used....well, as they would be on my repeat script at that chemist for them to get...Isn't this down to the chemist to sort out?

So, my first point is that the cartridges are so small. Although I knew they are only 1.6ml it is really scarey to see how they are half the size of other ones and with me using the longest length tubes.. Well Si reckon I will be lucky to get 3 days. Will let you know next week providing NENE CCG do not quash my upgrade..
This will be a major factor for choosing my next pump, is it because the pump is so much smaller than the combo that they have to make cartridge smaller?. Also hopefully the chemist gets its act together I've been using the same one for years as its across the road from Drs surgery the only problems are the inadequate staff sometimes who fluff it up, but also how will your Dr be about prescribe even more prescriptions on a more regular basis, I've not come across any problems myself but There's always a first time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fortunately my GP practice are good with scripts however I have not had the opportunity to see the difference in costings from the BMA site yet... So that is another factor to be considered by Roche when they have set their pricing up! Will the NHS want us to have more cost if they are more expensive.

Actually, will other pump be following suit as it is pretty costly to Novo Nordisk to make insulin cartridges for just one manufacturer..

I'll ask my gp if she can give me the costs of this new cartridge (they come in packs of 5)

Incidentally can anyone give us a quick comparison to sizes of other cartridges in other machines.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
The combo and pen fill I have as a (if all else fails) take the 3ml Humalog cartridges which I've used since 1999

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The combo and pen fill I have as a (if all else fails) take the 3ml Humalog cartridges which I've used since 1999
Sorry that's a accu CHEK pump I'm on, tried the combo and couldn't get Used to it

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The cartridges are the same size as the old penfill cartridges and you only used them three times a day or so! 160iu less 25iu for priming, so 135iu. At 30 a day you'll get just over 4 days....

chrisp1234

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just some info from what I've experienced so far. My 6 year old has been using the insight for about 10 days so far. We use the 40cm set and that uses approx. 15 units to fill so we're left with 145 after priming. He currently ends up with about 10 left over after 6 days, remembering that this is new to us and we're still adjusting basal and insulin to carb ratios while we fine tune everything. Loving it so far the machine is very easy to use and the handset means we don't ever have to mess with the pump. Being able to adjust by 0.01 increments is really important for the basal because even such a small adjustment makes a difference in a child. With regards the size I suppose you have to remember that to adults the pump is tiny but to children and teens it feels big.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The cartridges are the same size as the old penfill cartridges and you only used them three times a day or so! 160iu less 25iu for priming, so 135iu. At 30 a day you'll get just over 4 days....

The cartridges for the new Insight pump are not the same as any other cartridge for penfills at all.

This is not the same as injecting a novorapid injection. Pumps are putting thru novorapid as a basal insulin as well...so if you have to apply a tbr of say 250% extra because of xmas day foods etc.. Or changing because of a set failure etc or a normal set change then the needs are going to be far different...

The cartridges are NOT the same as the old penfill ones

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just some info from what I've experienced so far. My 6 year old has been using the insight for about 10 days so far. We use the 40cm set and that uses approx. 15 units to fill so we're left with 145 after priming. He currently ends up with about 10 left over after 6 days, remembering that this is new to us and we're still adjusting basal and insulin to carb ratios while we fine tune everything. Loving it so far the machine is very easy to use and the handset means we don't ever have to mess with the pump. Being able to adjust by 0.01 increments is really important for the basal because even such a small adjustment makes a difference in a child. With regards the size I suppose you have to remember that to adults the pump is tiny but to children and teens it feels big.

Can you say please how much daily dosss of insulin on an average are being used?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
After wearing my larger Combo pump on my arms for 4.5 years the size of the pp doesn't bother me at all. So being made smaller to wear is not a factor to me, although I do see it as an important feature for children.

I am concerned that some patients use much larger qtys of insulin and this would rule this pump out of the market for them.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The cartridges for the new Insight pump are not the same as any other cartridge for penfills at all.

This is not the same as injecting a novorapid injection. Pumps are putting thru novorapid as a basal insulin as well...so if you have to apply a tbr of say 250% extra because of xmas day foods etc.. Or changing because of a set failure etc or a normal set change then the needs are going to be far different...

The cartridges are NOT the same as the old penfill ones
I wasn't suggesting they were! I was commenting that they are the same volume of insulin as the old penfill cartridges as a comparison!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ok.. Sorry, just that I wouldn't want people to think that they could use possible back up penfill cartridges if they ran out of the pumpcart ones..

Sorry, got on my high horse with that without explaing why. My minfulness went out the window. Sorry...

Can't use as a comparison though for usage from a pen with a basal jab on top. The only thing to realise when consudering is how much you as an individual are pumping thru..(or likely to pump thru if it is the 1st pump)

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisp1234

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
With regards his insulin totals his basal is between 0.2 and 0.4 an hour and total ends up being about 6.5 units over a 24 hour period. The cartridges and tubing are very quick to replace, you literally twist the whole end of the pump off and the tubing is fitted in the end. You just put the whole end of the pump in the sharps box and take out a new end with tubing already fitted in and twist back on.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For comparison, the CellNovo is almost tubeless (20-50ml variations) and the reservoir holds 150U.

There is a timing chip in it though which de-activates it at 72 hours, hard coded, no options. Pump stops, that's it.

So there is a definite advantage for low users like me (<10U/day on a pump), in that being able to stretch the Insight out to 6 days or so will be much less wasteful.

Question - what length tubings are available? I didn't know there was a variety

chrisp1234

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
3 Sizes of tubing I think it was 30, 40 and 70 don't take that as gospel but it's around those values, we've had to take in information overload in the last 10 days so I'm not 100% certain.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
3 Sizes of tubing I think it was 30, 40 and 70 don't take that as gospel but it's around those values, we've had to take in information overload in the last 10 days so I'm not 100% certain.

Chap at Roche told me the long 100cm tubes that I use will be available as will the steel sets....so I'm def going to have to do some serious changes to wear the pump in the interim till they are all available.

Swore I would never go back to plasic flexlink cannulas, let alone the plus ones, so am also very wary in the first place...

iHs

Lol I love the Flexlink. I use it in my backside where pen never went. A doddle to remive the blue pin and the tube connector is nice and not jaggered. The beauty of using pumps that have Luer connections and mix and match

chrisp1234

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So far he's had no issues with the plastic ones, that's even while being thrown about by his friends :)
I'm sure the rep said there would't be any longer tubes than the 70 because people never asked tor them, and the steel sets would be out shortly.

iHs

What about Insight in pocket and set in leg or Insight in top of long sock and set in leg? 70cm tube should be long enough

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The cartridges for a pack of 5 (8ml total insulin) are £15.10 compared to a 10ml vile of insulin for £14.08.

So once again the NHS are going to pay more for less!!