1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Role of magnesium in Type2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by HARI KRISHNA P, Jun 11, 2021.

1. HARI KRISHNA P

HARI KRISHNA P · Newbie

How common it is to find Hypomagnesemia among Type 2 Diabetes patients?
    How does Hypomagnesemia affect outcome of Type2 Diabetes?
    Does Magnesium supplimentation improve insulin sensitivity?

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

It’s not type 2 or even specifically diabetes related, but you might find this interesting:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ultradad

ultradad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I also watched his other video about magnesium deficancy that was very informative and i have ordered some tablets :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

If you also take vitaminD it is essential to take magnesium and K2 as well. They all work together.

Getting the right magnesium is essential and taking it at the right time. Some magnesium you take to help sleep, some you take to energise- therefore take those in the morning.

There is an excellent FB group called vitamin D wellness group that gives such good information about the magnesium to take and the other two vitamins.

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. Goonergal

Staff Member

Thanks. Just applied to join!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take magnesium an hour or so before bed, I read somewhere that’s the best time. I also take a zinc + copper and a melatonin. I sleep like a rock.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. SMS1

SMS1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I read that magnesium glycinate is better absorbed and easier on the stomach; however, I'm staring at the ceiling during the night- perhaps has to do with when I take the magnesium glycinate.

8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Depending on the variety you might need to stay near the loo if you take too much.. maybe start with a low dose!

9. Goonergal

Staff Member

I was taking magnesium malate (about 650mg daily) for a while but have recently switched to glycinate (600mg daily). Following some reading (actually in relation to vitamin d3), I’m about to combine the two, using malate (supposed to help with energy levels) in the morning and glycinate (supposed to be calming) in the evening. I’m currently struggling with fatigue resulting from long Covid as well as lack of sleep.

I have not had gastric issues with either malate or glycinate, but have experienced them with citrate.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. donnellysdogs

There’s loads of different varieties and some energise and should be taken in the morning and some help sleep and should be taken at night.

11. donnellysdogs

The vitamin d wellness group on FB has huge amount of information on it and recommendations for specific ones as well, timings and to take with K2.

Very good clear explanations.
    Just wish the capsules were easier to take. My hubby chokes on them every time he takes them...
    There are good powder forms too but he’s so fussy!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Goonergal

Staff Member

Thanks. I’ve been having a read through. Will likely be paying more attention to the timings/dosage than the brand recommendations as those I’ve seen so far (for d3 at least) contain seed oils (sunflower oil) and I don’t do those! It is a mine of information though.

I wasn’t aware how intertwined magnesium is with d3 - have been aware of k2 for some time.

Editing to say I must have followed some old or duff links as their UK recommended supplements DON’T have sunflower oil in. Far more reassuring!

• Like Like x 1
    #12 Goonergal, Jun 12, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  13. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find that mine are crunchable. They dissolve to a chalky mess in the mouth. Not exactly pleasent but better than choking

14. ultradad

Took my first magnesium tablet last night (250mg) and had a good bowel movement after breakfast :joyful:. Not sure if i was due to go or the tablet :happy:. Since i started the diet 3 weeks ago i been going every couple of days and not much either. If i start going regular i am going to asume its the tablet :)

15. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Which magnesium is it you are taking?

16. ultradad

Its from Holland and Barrett. Magnesium 100 tablets (250mg). Cost 9.99 and you can get a second bottle for 1 pence. I read a review that there Magnesium Citrate tabs were very big and tasted like chalk. I had no problem swallowing the ones i bought and taste fine. Just going to take 1 at night and see how it goes :)

17. Drfarxan

Drfarxan · Well-Known Member

I love peanuts and i don't think ill ever stop eating them even though its high in carbs (21g in 100g), good news is its a very good source of magnesium.
    I don't suppliments or pills especial when it comes to essensial minerals or vitamins

18. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Milk of Magnesia was a childhood laxative given at school. It is an essential mineral in trace amounts, and generally, a modern diet will supply your needs. I believe supplementation only works while you have a deficiency, Suggest occasional top-up rather than a daily dose. And eat up your greens!

From memory, I recall that the magnesium when in chelated form is the most effective form, but it used to be sold as such, and I have not seen it on sale recently. I suspect it is now called glycated. The mineral zinc is similar, and it may be better to go for a zinc_+ magnesium combined pill.

19. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Magnesium is an essential mineral involved in the Krebs or Citric Cycle, for the transfer of energy from the blood to the cells, It acts as a catalyst in the chemical reactions.

20. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Am I wasting my time and money? I use a spray rather than tablets. It is labelled as Magnesium Chloride Brine, pure magnesium oil. 100% magnesium with nothing added and nothing removed. It comes from the sea bed in the Netherlands. I was advised that a spray absorbs better than tablets. 4 sprays = 66mg. A teaspoon = 560mg. I use it in the mornings about 2 or 3 times a week. I don't need it to sleep - that has never been a problem for me.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook