Running For Charity

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I have recently started running and plan to run a half marathon in July. I am just wondering if it is worth doing it for charity or not and whether there are any good Diabetes charities (I assume Diabetes UK would be the best one) worth doing it for.

Does anyone have any info on this that they'd like to share? I may still just run it for the sake of running and wait until next year when I do a full marathon to do that for charity.

shop

What a great thought Fencer!! I am Sure that any of the diabetes charities would be grateful. I would be tempted to research what they do and take it from there.

What an insparation you are !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Whaether you do it now or in the future only you can decide that. Good on you anyway :thumbup:

shop

What a great thought Fencer!! I am Sure that any of the diabetes charities would be grateful. I would be tempted to research what they do and take it from there.

What an insparation you are !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Whaether you do it now or in the future only you can decide that. Good on you anyway :thumbup:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It really depends on how many people you think you can get to sponsor you. I know that I don't have a very big circle of people to raise money and wouldn't want to keep asking. I ran several halfs and a couple of full ones whilst I waited to get into the London (that took 6 years0. I used that to raise money and was pleasantly surprised at how much I got.
(can't believe it's a year ago, I couldn't do it at the moment)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally if I were looking for a diabetes charity to raise funds for then it would have to be for children with diabetes, here is a charity that raises funds for the benefit of juveniles:

http://www.jdrf.org.uk/

Any charity close to your heart is worth considering, the local hospices are always in need of desperate funds as are the Air Ambulances.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Thanks for the advice guys. Will let you know what I decide to do and how I get on :)

bobboosey

I have been running since 1999 and have found that knowing l am running for a charity keeps me inspired and also l don't; want to let the people down who are sponsoring me, so l would say yes get sponsored, even if it is only a little amount the charity will thank you. If you can get your own place without involving the charity you are not committed to raise the entry fee required say for the London marathon, go for it keep running it helps with the diabetes. :thumbup:

stavenmorris

Yes running for charity is really be a great think for all to helping more people and rise of fund to create more this type event and camp for helping more people.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I've run lots of races and never raised a penny in sponsorship. Does that make me a bad person?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borofergie said:
I've run lots of races and never raised a penny in sponsorship. Does that make me a bad person?

Well it's a missed opportunity to raise money for charity's close to your heart, my brother has run a good few marathons and raised vital funds for Cancer research.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Well it's a missed opportunity to raise money for charity's close to your heart, my brother has run a good few marathons and raised vital funds for Cancer research.

Well not really, running is for running. It's my thing and I don't expect anyone else to be interested in it.

In my spare time, I'm the (unpaid) Chairman of a Charity and I've raised over £300,000 for young adults with Special Educational Needs. My time is far better spent in getting "Corporate Social Responsibilty" funding from big companies rather than continually pestering my friends and colleagues for relatively small donations. It's a question of return-on-investment.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I ran my marathon, but ended up running it on behalf of the RNLI due to the nature of my work and friends who work offshore. Raised £365.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fencer said:
I ran my marathon, but ended up running it on behalf of the RNLI due to the nature of my work and friends who work offshore. Raised £365.

Good work fella! What time did you do? How was the run? Are you walking properly yet?

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
borofergie said:
Fencer said:

Good work fella! What time did you do? How was the run? Are you walking properly yet?

Just about back to normal. I did it in 4:52:22. Not as quick as I would have liked, but there's always next time :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fencer said:
borofergie said:
Fencer said:

Just about back to normal. I did it in 4:52:22. Not as quick as I would have liked, but there's always next time :)

Dude it's not about quick or not quick, you ran for 26.2 miles, which makes you superhuman in my books.

(Anyway, my half time is 2:24:30 so you're faster than me. Sub 5 hours rocks!).