1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Running the Great Manchester Run

Discussion in 'Diabetes Events' started by s230787, Mar 2, 2012.

1. s230787

s230787 · Well-Known Member

I have signed myself up for the Great Manchester Run, 10km to raise money for Diabetes UK.

I have never been a runner, but started last year and loved it. So this year i'm going for it! (my friend has joined me too)

If anyone has any tips or advice for me I would very much appreciate it. So far i'm comfortable with a hilly 4 miler, so not doing too bad. the things i'm worrying about on the day mainly is sugar levels of course. Aim to start on a hearty fryup (low carb) with maybe a big treat by ways of a slice of granary bread, toasted, thick with butter (yuuuuuum) or a milky coffee. My sugars are very sensitive, 150ml of milk can raise me 4mmol! If anyone has any better suggestions i'd be interested to hear them. I usually cant handle carbs at all in a morning.

I'll be running with a camel pack so enough room for my testing kit and some dextrose tablets (just in case) but so far on my training my sugars, after a low carb breakfast (eggs and bacon), have gone up to about 8mmol during the run (30mins in and sweating like a right un) but then back down to 4-5mmol afterwards.

As I said any advice would be much appreciated and of course if anyone would like to sponsor me (cheeky ask and had to be done :D) for such a great cause you can do so here http://www.justgiving.com/TeamFoxyPratt2012

2. Elc1112

Elc1112 · Well-Known Member

Go you! I'm not much of a runner myself, but I have done the London to Brighton bike ride for the two years

I tried to factor my diabetes into my training plans. I built up the distances gradually, introduced hills etc. Worked out what worked well for me with regards to food - something that kept my sugars stable but didn't give me cramp half way through the ride! I normally have a banana beforehand, or sometimes a bowl of porridge (couple of hours before I go out). I also take lucozades and/or dextrose tablets with me. It's fairly easy to do this cycling, not sure about running though...

My sugars often drop a few hours after I cycle, so I try and have some carbs when I get back home (occasionally treat myself to a cheeky ice cream if and when I stop for a break!).

Good luck with the run and for the training!

Em

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook