Running

JJWorld

I'm a Type One diabetic (less than one year) and looking to take up running again. In the future I will be looking to do some sponsored runs etc.

Does anyone have any tips regarding insulin dose, food to eat before and what to take with you.

spideog

I took a bit of trial and error for me when I started running again as a diabetic. I always have at least a couple of High5 gels on me just incase and I do have a fair guestimate of what bg I need to be at before heading out for different distance runs, although when racing the numbers change slightly. I think I would be starting a run with a higher bg than others would though, but that is just what I have found to work for me.

I did have strange things happening when I first started though, and to a lesser extent after returning to running again after long layoffs due to busted knee ligaments or stress fractures. I found that initially the BG levels actually seemed to rise during a run, despite not having taken any glucose on the way round.

I'm about to start on a pump in the next couple of weeks though, so my years of practice figuring out how to deal with exerscise and running and what works for me all goes out the window and I have to figure it out all over again from scratch.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
www.runsweet.com gives plenty of background information about physiology, plus some case studies about specific activities for people with type 1 diabetes.

yipster29

I've been T1 for 2 years.
I run and have found that anything over about 4 miles drops my BG quite a lot so always start out at a level some will tut at of about 9. Then when I'm back I'll be around 7 and around 30 mins after return I'll be around 5.

I run after a meal and reduce insulin accordingly, or just snack if nec.
I also always take my test kit, juice and glucose.

Not ideal but works for me :)