Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Im type 1 diabetic

Have been since i was 11 and now im 27

No complications yet

Have started training for the London Marathon

Iv been running from anywhere between 3 miles and 12 miles at a time

I wondered if anyone had any tips for running, good control over diabetes, diet especially?

Many thanks
Jason

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Im type 1 diabetic

Have been since i was 11 and now im 27

No complications yet

Have started training for the London Marathon

Iv been running from anywhere between 3 miles and 12 miles at a time

I wondered if anyone had any tips for running, good control over diabetes, diet especially?

Many thanks
Jason
Good man, well done indeed. Sounds like you're already well on the way.

Firstly, dip into the exercise thread on here plenty of people to help and may be more likely to read there, and I'd also suggest have a read of my blog - I did a 40-miler earlier this year and explain my methods in the blog.

If you're not already doing so, test, test and test again to make sure you understadn the effect of exercise on your BG. Personally I go with 5km which works out around 25-30min for me depending on the race/training run.

Learn how to manage insulin reductions, you'll definitely need it for the marathon and longer training runs, both basal and bolus need reduction. For me, for a long-run or ride day, I'll start with a reduction in basal from 3.5 to 1U, bolus will be cut to 0.5U whatever the breakfast which is normally around 45g carbs.

Learn your carb needs over time, goes along with testing. Eat during your runs, gels, carb drinks, also some slower release stuff, based on your testing. Little and often is best in my view. I've worked out myself that I can work on about 30-40g per hour, with appropriate insulin reduction, as i've trained for years to boost my fat burning metabolism. You may find that you need more.

Lastly for the short version - beware exercising too soon after a meal while bolus is still active, your BG will drop like a stone, so you may need more carbs.

As for the training, it's the pace that kills not the distance. Work your way up to about 20-22 miles easy paced, but don't forget your speedwork, it helps towards the end of the race when you're getting tired.

jskaife87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Facebook_Cover_WO.jpg

Good morning all,

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for the last 16 years and iv reached that stage in my life where I feel I need to achieve something GRAND. So I have decided to run the 2015 London Marathon and although this is going to be a huge challenge for any Type 1 diabetic, I'm sure you would all agree with me that its going to be a rewarding one!

Unfortunately I cant raise money for Diabetes UK as there were no spaces left, so I am going to be running for a charity called KAB (Kent Association for the Blind) http://www.kab.org.uk/

They help and assist people living with impaired vision to live as normal life as possible. I live in Kent, so its great for me to be raising money for a charity which is local to myself and in fact they help people affected by sight impairment caused by Diabetes.

What I am asking from members of this forum, which has a huge audience, is a £1 donation. I am aiming to raise £1500 for this charity. You can donate here:

https://www.justgiving.com/Skaife

or

You can text SKAI66 £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

To be frank, i don't actually expect anyone to donate, i'm a complete stranger to you all, but i am hoping you might get behind a fellow Type 1 Diabetic with this huge challenge ahead and help me raise some money for charity (which is a good thing at the end of the day)

Many thanks to all that have read this post, and many thanks to all that make a donation!

Jason
Type 1 Diabetic

jskaife87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its getting closer to the London Marathon now and Im still short of my target. I have less that 9 weeks to go!! Please help me raise some money for this great cause.

Many thanks
Jason