Sacroiliac Joint Inflammation - any other sufferers?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been diagnosed today with Sacroiliac Joint Inflammation. Has anyone any experience with this or similiar inflammation and does meds raise your bgs?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been diagnosed today with Sacroiliac Joint Inflammation. Has anyone any experience with this or similiar inflammation and does meds raise your bgs?
Trust me to be on my tod. Ha ha

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have psoriatic arthritis in my knees hips fingers and wrists - it's under the umberella of SJI - I don't take any meds other than pain killers when it is bad mostly paracetamols and on a rare occasion codine - I don't find any change in my BS at these times - are you on more specific meds? It can be painful - today my fingers are particularly bad and have just banged my knuckle on the cupboard - I saw stars I can tell you! Lol

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a sacroiliac joint that pops out, regularly.
- with accompanying discomfort (understatement) and inconvenience.

Have found that the doc was useless (here, have some anti-inflammatories and go away)

while the Chiropractor was SUPERB (full case history, physical examination, explanation, eliminated arthritis as a cause, plus treatment using manipulation and a machine - heat ultrasound, I think? - plus exercises and advice on when/if followup care would be necessary) I had been in pain with a profoundly affected quality of life for about 3 years. His treatment got me 80% better for a mere £40 and then the rest of the recovery took about a year. It still recurs regularly due to bad chairs, holiday mattresses, awkward stepping off kerbs, or just twisting suddenly, but recovery is fast now, and I know what causes it, the treatment, and the prognosis, which means that I no longer feel I am slipping inexorably into constant pain and poor quality of life.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have a sacroiliac joint that pops out, regularly.
- with accompanying discomfort (understatement) and inconvenience.

Have found that the doc was useless (here, have some anti-inflammatories and go away)

while the Chiropractor was SUPERB (full case history, physical examination, explanation, eliminated arthritis as a cause, plus treatment using manipulation and a machine - heat ultrasound, I think? - plus exercises and advice on when/if followup care would be necessary) I had been in pain with a profoundly affected quality of life for about 3 years. His treatment got me 80% better for a mere £40 and then the rest of the recovery took about a year. It still recurs regularly due to bad chairs, holiday mattresses, awkward stepping off kerbs, or just twisting suddenly, but recovery is fast now, and I know what causes it, the treatment, and the prognosis, which means that I no longer feel I am slipping inexorably into constant pain and poor quality of life.
Thanks @Brunneria . Nothing worse than feeling it only happens to you. Thanks for sharing. I'm feeling more confident about things now.
I know they can fuse the joint but I bet that restrictsts movement. Surely?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have psoriatic arthritis in my knees hips fingers and wrists - it's under the umberella of SJI - I don't take any meds other than pain killers when it is bad mostly paracetamols and on a rare occasion codine - I don't find any change in my BS at these times - are you on more specific meds? It can be painful - today my fingers are particularly bad and have just banged my knuckle on the cupboard - I saw stars I can tell you! Lol
I cannot walk. It's agony. Only comfort is in a sofa chair. Bedtimes interesting but I took naproxen before bed so had a 5hr sleep last night. Only 2x 1 tablet which runs out of pain relief quickly. So took co-codamol with bfast drink and will take naproxen at lunch, with food. Just found out my uncle has Ankylosing spondylitis which can trigger/cause sacroiliitis. I need to get that checked as unchecked can cause it to be more severe, apparently. I have stiff arms, neck and back but I've no pain there. Thankfully. I've had shoulder pains for a few weeks but again ignoring it as once out of bed I was loose enough to be mobile. Til a few days ago.
I'll be surprised if not arthritis as every member of my family has it. Osteoarthritis. My none blood related aunty had Rhumotoid arthritis bless her. I'm not arrogant to think I won't get something. I just thought I might get it in older age, maybe after the change?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've dealt with S.I. joint issues all of my adult life. Fortunately, I've been able to minimize its effect on my quality of life.

A quick background: My issues stemmed from a combination of competitive powerlifting and baseball. Unfortunately, my muscles were stronger than my joints which didn't appreciate all of that weight on my back (I used to squat 675 pounds; 300%+ my bodyweight). My SI joint issues also evolved into lower back issues including a herniated L4/L5 disk.

A few thoughts/opinions on what works for me:
1.) Invest in a good mattress- Above all the therapy, doctor, and chiropractor visits this was the one thing that made the most difference. I have a Tempur-Pedic Contour Supreme (one of the firmest models). 2 years ago, I would have thought I was crazy to spend that much on a mattress, but in hindsight it was worth every penny.

2.) Strong core and flexible hamstrings- A strong core (abs) takes a tremendous amount of pressure off your hips and lower back. The same is true for your hamstrings. Even though I can still lift a tremendous amount (by most people's standards), my hamstrings are very weak and it's a major point of focus for me. I know others who have SI joint issues and they also happened to have hamstring issues as well.

3.) Learning to make adjustments on yourself- This is a product of having spend 50+ hours in physical therapy. While there are youtube videos that show you how to do them, I'd STRONGLY recommend you learn from a professional.

4.) Taking pressure off the joint- not only is having a good mattress important, but sleeping position also has a profound effect for me. If my SI is hurting I'll sleep on my side and put a pillow between my legs. It takes almost all of the pressure off my hips/lower back. In addition, sitting properly in chairs, standing with good posture, and other things that may seem obvious (but really aren't) really go a long way for me.

Bottom line: After 11 years of dealing with this and other back issues I'm now able to run for 10+ miles, lift 400-500 pounds (plenty for me these days), and similar exercise with minimal issue. There are plenty of days I still wake-up sore, but it's a night and day difference compared to how much pain I used to be in.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've dealt with S.I. joint issues all of my adult life. Fortunately, I've been able to minimize its effect on my quality of life.

A quick background: My issues stemmed from a combination of competitive powerlifting and baseball. Unfortunately, my muscles were stronger than my joints which didn't appreciate all of that weight on my back (I used to squat 675 pounds; 300%+ my bodyweight). My SI joint issues also evolved into lower back issues including a herniated L4/L5 disk.

A few thoughts/opinions on what works for me:
1.) Invest in a good mattress- Above all the therapy, doctor, and chiropractor visits this was the one thing that made the most difference. I have a Tempur-Pedic Contour Supreme (one of the firmest models). 2 years ago, I would have thought I was crazy to spend that much on a mattress, but in hindsight it was worth every penny.

2.) Strong core and flexible hamstrings- A strong core (abs) takes a tremendous amount of pressure off your hips and lower back. The same is true for your hamstrings. Even though I can still lift a tremendous amount (by most people's standards), my hamstrings are very weak and it's a major point of focus for me. I know others who have SI joint issues and they also happened to have hamstring issues as well.

3.) Learning to make adjustments on yourself- This is a product of having spend 50+ hours in physical therapy. While there are youtube videos that show you how to do them, I'd STRONGLY recommend you learn from a professional.

4.) Taking pressure off the joint- not only is having a good mattress important, but sleeping position also has a profound effect for me. If my SI is hurting I'll sleep on my side and put a pillow between my legs. It takes almost all of the pressure off my hips/lower back. In addition, sitting properly in chairs, standing with good posture, and other things that may seem obvious (but really aren't) really go a long way for me.

Bottom line: After 11 years of dealing with this and other back issues I'm now able to run for 10+ miles, lift 400-500 pounds (plenty for me these days), and similar exercise with minimal issue. There are plenty of days I still wake-up sore, but it's a night and day difference compared to how much pain I used to be in.
Thanks @TorqPenderloin that's such a relief to know. Thanks again. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun

Its probably worth mentioning that when my SI joint starts playing up again, the first thing I know about it is usually neck stiffness.

For me, the muscles on the opposite side tighten up up to compensate for the weakness/displacement, which sets up tension higher up the spine, snaking up the spine, til it hits my left shoulder area and left side of neck.

So your shoulder stiffness may just be a knock on effect from lower spine issues. I spent far too long trying to treat neck issues rather than lower back issues.

You really need a pro to look at it. In my experience a chiropractor or an osteopath.

The usual route taken by NHS docs is anti-inflams and pain killers, an injection into the joint, repeat until you kick up such a fuss they escalate to an operation.

Luckily, I got off that treadmill, and got a chiro who looked at the root cause, not the symptoms.

Reactions: TorqPenderloin

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun

Its probably worth mentioning that when my SI joint starts playing up again, the first thing I know about it is usually neck stiffness.

For me, the muscles on the opposite side tighten up up to compensate for the weakness/displacement, which sets up tension higher up the spine, snaking up the spine, til it hits my left shoulder area and left side of neck.

So your shoulder stiffness may just be a knock on effect from lower spine issues. I spent far too long trying to treat neck issues rather than lower back issues.

You really need a pro to look at it. In my experience a chiropractor or an osteopath.

The usual route taken by NHS docs is anti-inflams and pain killers, an injection into the joint, repeat until you kick up such a fuss they escalate to an operation.

Luckily, I got off that treadmill, and got a chiro who looked at the root cause, not the symptoms.
I will be looking into a chiro practitioner to start. I'll keep you posted. :) thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with what @Brunneria mentioned about how other parts of your body (particularly your back/spine) can be painful as a result of the SI joint issue. When you think about it, you have a ton of bones and ligaments jointed to your hips and it's not unusual to realize leg or back pain. I also want to mention that my piriformis muscle (basically, a muscle in your glutes) is very prone to soreness/tenderness and it may be an area you want to put focus on if you seek therapy.

Having done plenty of both, I personally felt that physical therapy was more effective in addressing (and correcting) the issue than a chiropractor. The chiropractor felt more like a temporary fix and within a few days I was in pain again whereas physical therapy felt more like a long-term solution. Fortunately, I haven't needed either one in 8+ years.

Last thing I'll say is that losing any extra weight you may be carrying has a high potential to improve your condition. After losing 35-40 pounds my pain improved tremendously.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin any tips on what to do for piriformis issues? My right one is currently ... well, painful is probably a bit dramatic and it was a lot more comfortable during hill runs this morning, but it is actively hurting. Any particular stretches, attacks with tennis ball/foam roller type thing I should be doing to relieve & then prevent? Or should I just be resting it (boo, I do not approve of this idea)?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree with what @Brunneria mentioned about how other parts of your body (particularly your back/spine) can be painful as a result of the SI joint issue. When you think about it, you have a ton of bones and ligaments jointed to your hips and it's not unusual to realize leg or back pain. I also want to mention that my piriformis muscle (basically, a muscle in your glutes) is very prone to soreness/tenderness and it may be an area you want to put focus on if you seek therapy.

Having done plenty of both, I personally felt that physical therapy was more effective in addressing (and correcting) the issue than a chiropractor. The chiropractor felt more like a temporary fix and within a few days I was in pain again whereas physical therapy felt more like a long-term solution. Fortunately, I haven't needed either one in 8+ years.

Last thing I'll say is that losing any extra weight you may be carrying has a high potential to improve your condition. After losing 35-40 pounds my pain improved tremendously.
Thank you @TorqPenderloin .
In your opinion can both the piriformis muscle and sacroiliac joint be realigned when losing weight?
I'm finding with my new lower carb diet my body shape has changed. No lose just a different shape.
I don't lose easily even on lchf but I'm embarking on another attempt once I've stocked up on provisions. On less levothyroxine too as suffered palpatations on my last 30g carb attempt.
I've had nothing but problems with mobility since changing my diet, which proves how important it is.
I have some great bgs now thou, instead of high ones. Hormones are better on the Metformin too.
I was wondering if progesterone levels cause these joint upsets too?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin any tips on what to do for piriformis issues? My right one is currently ... well, painful is probably a bit dramatic and it was a lot more comfortable during hill runs this morning, but it is actively hurting. Any particular stretches, attacks with tennis ball/foam roller type thing I should be doing to relieve & then prevent? Or should I just be resting it (boo, I do not approve of this idea)?
I wish I had something sexy and innovative to share with you, but I really don't. If mine starts to get tender during a run, I'll use my thumb to press very firmly on the muscle (the motion looks like I'm putting my hand on my hip) for about 30 seconds. I find that the pressure combined with running helps to loosen the muscle up significantly so I can continue my run. If I do it right, there is literally a point where I can feel it release/relax and the pain begins to go away significantly.

That may be hard to visualize, and it looks a little funny I'm sure. Think of running with your hand on your hip, digging your thumb into your piriformis to a point where it's almost painful, and continuing to run/jog.

I couldn't find a youtube video of something similar, but here's a video of one of my favorite stretches that helps me:

Thank you @TorqPenderloin .
In your opinion can both the piriformis muscle and sacroiliac joint be realigned when losing weight?
I'm finding with my new lower carb diet my body shape has changed. No lose just a different shape.
I don't lose easily even on lchf but I'm embarking on another attempt once I've stocked up on provisions. On less levothyroxine too as suffered palpatations on my last 30g carb attempt.
I've had nothing but problems with mobility since changing my diet, which proves how important it is.
I have some great bgs now thou, instead of high ones. Hormones are better on the Metformin too.
I was wondering if progesterone levels cause these joint upsets too?
In my opinion and experience, it can IMPROVE, but I wasn't so lucky that it corrected itself entirely. If your body chemistry is changing (for the better) I would absolutely say that could have a positive impact even if you aren't necessarily losing weight.

Think of your body like a bridge. If you're adding additional muscle, you're making the supports of the bridge stronger which means that the bridge can take additional stress. If more cars are simply driving over the bridge (without making it stronger) that begins to push the bridge to its limits. In my opinion, it's absolutely a matter of decreasing weight in the wrong areas and adding support wherever you have weak points.

I can't comment on hormone levels as that's something I haven't read much about.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That may be hard to visualize, and it looks a little funny I'm sure. Think of running with your hand on your hip, digging your thumb into your piriformis to a point where it's almost painful, and continuing to run/jog.

I couldn't find a youtube video of something similar, but here's a video of one of my favorite stretches that helps me..

I am actually alarmingly familiar with that approach! Been doing a lot of pigeon pose yoga also. And the tennis ball attack is helping a bit! Booked in for sports massage Wednesday so will see if she has any pearls of wisdom.

Thanks for trying!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Lchf diet made my levothyroxine more potent, hence overactive thyroid noted by gp. Overactive thyroid gives muscle weakness hence pressure put on joints (in me - sacroiliac joint in particular). GP has agreed to monitor my thyroid with me on 200mg again for 6 weeks then blood test to determine officially too strong med.
I think it will show overactive again so maybe can go back on less levoyhyroxine and maybe bisoprolol can go too. Overactive thyroid can show higher blood pressure too.
Sooo..... I'm hoping once mucles less painful and/or weak I can resume to exercise and no sacroiliac joint pain.
Lchf changes to my health not monitored by gp properly.
I will resume to 30g carb once this thyroid problem resolved. I'll reduce my thyroxine myself next time as far too much hassle and risk to heart.
I'd love to just lose weight. Even stating overactive thyroid I still don't lose weight. :(