Sad Day...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sad to announce I have officially run out of reasons to delay starting my new running regime.

Today at 4.45pm my dog and I will get out of the house for our usual walk, but this time actually try to run armed with the NHS Couch to 5K podcast!

If you don't hear from me again it's because my body stopped working out of shock!

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
You can do it!!! :clap: :clap:

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
If it makes you feel any better I'm also getting started on a new exercise regime. 30 minutes high intensity on the old turbo trainer every day... think it's going to kill me. I smoke 10 a day and I'm supremely unfit.

Just had a quick look at the C25K site and it does sound great! Sadly, for a very erm... top-heavy girl, running probably isn't my best bet unless I WANT to be walking around with 2 black eyes :lol:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Giverny said:
If it makes you feel any better I'm also getting started on a new exercise regime. 30 minutes high intensity on the old turbo trainer every day... think it's going to kill me. I smoke 10 a day and I'm supremely unfit.

Just had a quick look at the C25K site and it does sound great! Sadly, for a very erm... top-heavy girl, running probably isn't my best bet unless I WANT to be walking around with 2 black eyes :lol:

The key is a proper sports bra. I used to play tennis and was in constant fear of getting then tangled around my neck! It's also the reason I quit swimming, I kept floating in all the wrong areas....

I just want to get fit again. Uni ruined me so, although I'm at a perfect weight, I can't do much in the way of exercise other than walking (which I love).

I'm getting my tonsils out in 3 weeks so ill have the perfect excuse to give it up for a bit then ;)

My friends are all runners so are keen to sign me up for a 5K in autum to give me a goal. I'm currently delaying them with the old "lets see how being T1 and running works out" for now but we all know I'm just stalling :p

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
hale710 said:
The key is a proper sports bra. I used to play tennis and was in constant fear of getting then tangled around my neck! It's also the reason I quit swimming, I kept floating in all the wrong areas....

I just want to get fit again. Uni ruined me so, although I'm at a perfect weight, I can't do much in the way of exercise other than walking (which I love).

I'm getting my tonsils out in 3 weeks so ill have the perfect excuse to give it up for a bit then ;)

My friends are all runners so are keen to sign me up for a 5K in autum to give me a goal. I'm currently delaying them with the old "lets see how being T1 and running works out" for now but we all know I'm just stalling :p
Absolutely agree with you - sadly though sports bras can be pricey :( a new bra AND pair of running shoes is a little outside my budget right now. I'd totally go swimming but I'm far too shy!

I feel the same as you - I'm within a healthy weight but just want to be fit. Walking is always great, just wish there were more places to go out and hike in the Midlands.

Don't be using your tonsils as an excuse :lol: I'm sure you'll be alright. Give it enough time for recovery and just do whatever you feel comfortable with. Excellent to hear you have friends keeping you motivated. Go prove to them that you can do it :D Good luck!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You call it "motivating" I call it "salve driving" haha! My friends have the worst professions, a doctor, a dietician and a sodding personal trainer. They're all about the health! I refuse to run with them though for now, if I'm going to do it then it'll be at my pace! Hence trying the podcast.

Walking is perfect where I live in Scotland. Plenty hikes near by! Having my puppy helps get me out even in the rain which I appreciate since moving to a desk job at diagnosis.

I don't swim anymore, but I used to competitively until mid teens. I'm just not the right shape haha I've opted for the new trainers this time around as I have a couple excellent sports bras from hiking. They ARE expensive but so worth it.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Wouldn't it feel amazing if you could do better than them!? Imagine that!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Giverny said:
Wouldn't it feel amazing if you could do better than them!? Imagine that!

I could beat two maybe EVENTUALLY, but never the personal trainer. She took 2 spin classes before 9am this morning, and will continue like that for the rest of the day. Just the thought of a spin class is enough for me to have a lie down haha

But it's always worth a try!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Yay! its going to be hard but worth it! i have started running (on Treadmill) and youll be surprised how quickly you progress! just one foot in front on the other, and as someone on here said the other day if you feel pain it means your still alive :) Good Luck!

and yes i agree with the sports bra suggestions they feel really comfortable......trouble is i keep getting funny looks in the male changing room :think:

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Andy12345 said:
and yes i agree with the sports bra suggestions they feel really comfortable......trouble is i keep getting funny looks in the male changing room :think:
I can't imagine why! :lol:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:

Maybe it's the colour? Haha

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Giverny,

have you heard of "The Black Book" training manual for cyclists using turbo trainers. I have a copy of it as pdf and can send it to you if you like. It's based around peaking for the racing season, but it'll get you fit for those longer rides.

Cheer

Dave

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hale710 said:
Andy12345 said:

Maybe it's the colour? Haha

huh? but i only ever wear black.....

it looks better under my see through neglashay.....dam this would have been funnier could i have spelt it

:D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be daring, try a vibrant purple next ;)

Negligee perhaps?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That will be one happy dog.You remind me i muet take my 2 out early tomorrow, because i have a dentists appointme4nt at mid-day
Hana

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dog was happy.... I was not! I'm sure it'll get easier though.... Sure can't get worse haha