1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Saturated Fats

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Wurst, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

After my recent blood works I was told my LDL cholesterol was a bit on the high side. Triglycerides were okay and HDL was really high due my exercise regime. Anyway this was a week ago , I changed my diet instantly removing all saturated fats such as cheese , salami , cream etc and now find my insulin sensitivity is amazing. I've almost halved my basal rate in a week and feel like I'm in the honeymoon period again. Is this a transitional thing or does saturated fat (or high LDL cholesterol) really make you that insulin insensitive?

My current diet involves lots of 'fatty' fish such sardines ,mackerel , low carb bread , almonds , boiled chicken etc etc

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

3. diamondnostril

diamondnostril Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Cblake . . .

I hope you forgive me for being off-topic . . . but I do have a question regarding the part of your Post that I quoted above. Do you mind if I ask what was your HDL reading?

The reason I ask is that I have an HDL reading that is well above what is considered to be the normal range (I am HDL = 87,2mg/dl) . . . but I am the laziest person I know, and don't partake in exercise of any kind . . . therefore I think my high HDL reading must be due only to my VLC/HF diet. I think you also are/were on LCHF? I'm interested to know if your exercise regime pushed your HDL reading even higher??

Thanks for any info :)
    Antony

4. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Antony,
    My HDL was also above normal range over 70 mg/dl if i recall correctly. At the time the doctor told me this was due to my exercise regime. I am no expert on cholesterol , first time I've been over the normal ranges, but I believe having a high
    HDL is good. I'm not sure how your HDL is high if you don't exercise , I did read that omega 3 fats can raise your HDL so perhaps it is diet related.

I believe eating too much saturated fat caused my LDL to be high out of range. I'm still on a LCHF diet but without the saturated fats i.e. cheese, salami, i've found various brands of protein bread and sardines to be a good substitute. My insulin sensitivity is unbelievable since the change in diet , my basal has almost halved so I assume my LDL is on the way down.

5. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I started low carbing few weeks ago and its amazing how isnulin sensitive I am. I nearly halfed lantus (form 16 units to 10) and take only few units of novorapid (about 2 or 3 units with each meal). I do excercise but its nothing very extreme (lots of walking and evry other day about 30 mins work out at home). I eat mainly meats with salads/veggies and eggs for breakfast or low carb muffins (not much cheese, sausages or ham). I wonder if my cholesterol will be fine. I really hope so because this diet works wonders for me :D

6. paul-1976

paul-1976 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can't remember my exact figures but last time my Trigs were below 1,my HDL was above 2 and my LDL was below 3 so all in all a decent improvement since LCHF dieting.

7. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Vitamin D can also play a big part in controlling cholesterol levels and many people are deficient without really ever knowing it.... often a blood test needs to be done.

8. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

I think it's worth actually checking at the proportions of sat fat to monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. We often stick all fats in the same bundle.

Though all fats have 9cal/g , most sources suggest that mono and poly may lower cholesterol . Sat fat is really only the highest proportion of fats in dairy products such as cream and cheese.

Nuts, olives, avocados , salmon, even duck contain much higher levels of non sat fat than sat fat. (duck with skin has 35.7% saturated, 50.5% monounsaturated (high in linoleic acid) and 13.7% polyunsaturated,
    ( My doctor 'sort of' approves of duck but the neighbour's say that foie gras is a health food .They don't really eat much of it because they can only produce a small amount and they sell it to expensive restaurants. They eat a lot of duck but it goes a long way as they use all the bits, not just breasts and legs ie gizzards (gesiers), necks, wings, hearts and fritons (skin and bits from carcass cooked until crispy)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook