Scared and out on a limb

TMG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Chocolate
Hello,

I was diagnosed with type 2 prior to Christmas, given twice day Metformin. which gave me almost every side effect known to man. :sick: I was re-tested and was then diagnosed as pre-diabetes at 6.5 so in order to stave off the inevitable for as long as possible I now have 1 x 500mg Metformin per day to be taken prior to my main eating stage of the day. I have dropped the sugar in tea and coffee, no problem. I no longer enjoy my hot chocolate - Gone. I have cut out bread and potatoes (5 days a week min). I have lost weight though I was not obese to start with. And with only minor stumbles am even controlling my sweet tooth!! :D

But I have a needle phobia and have been unable to check my readings :thumbdown:

I was told by my GP that I would get an invite from Desmonds, an appointment from podietry, a retinal scan ( I had both my eye lenses replaced prior to being diagnosed ).

Desmonds have a 3 month waiting list.

Podietry were over subscribed and sent me a letter basically saying tough.

And the retinal scan has had to be requested a second time.

Where is the support that I was told I would get??? My whole life has been turned upside down by this and I'm at a complete loss.

I'm not stupid I know if I address this issue it will only be to my benefit long term, but am really feeling on my own.

Sorry to be a moaner, but am really feeling quite scared

Tracey (48) Essex

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Tracey, you're not alone. Welcome to the club no-one wants to be in. You don't have to give up your hot chocolate. As a night time treat I melt 80% chocolate in a small cup of cream. You just have to rethink what you eat.
Swap cereals for eggs and bacon. Actually its more atkins with more veg. And don't fear the fat. Eat good fats, avocado's and olive oil cheese and cream.
It took me ages to use my lancet the first time, actually it took me two hours. lol. Looking back you do feel daft. Just wash your hands relax, and prick the side of your finger. You do get used to it very quickly.
And test 2 hours after meals, that way you know what affect food is having on your BS.

TMG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Chocolate
Thanks Dawn,

I seem to swing from being positive I can do this to reaching for the lancet and going into a spin. :crazy:

Am going to break this over the weekend with the support of my husband so i'll let you know how I got on, on Tuesday.

Wish me luck

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, luckily im fine with needles but reading your post i wonder if you gave the pen to your husband looked away and ask him to prick your finger, there are maybee different distractions you could use, i know my daughter who is very used to jabs now used to freak out when she was young and we played every distraction tactic in the book and some that werent, i know this is different but once you get over the first few times you hopefully will realise its not too bad and you will be able to do it no problem :) good luck