Scared I have diabetes despite labs due to strange symptoms last 2 months

John201832

Hey, guys, I’m new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself - my name is John. For the last couple of months, I’ve been paranoid of being diabetic and have had high anxiety/stress over my concerns . These concerns stem from a slightly elevated fasting glucose of 5.8, which is considered elevated, here in the states a few months ago . I quickly changed my lifestyle and since then I have had a number of diagnostic tests, most importantly 2 OGTTs 3 weeks apart, FBG and A1C. Here are my results from the first OGTT: FBG: 5.1 . 2 hour result: 6 mmol. A1C: 5.4%. I also had fasting insulin tests and they were anywhere from 4.8 to 8.2. The range on the lab was up to 20 and under 10 is considered normal . The 2nd OGTT I had my fasting, 1 hour, and 2 hour results. Results were not as good as my first OGTT. 1 hour I reached 10.4 mmol. 2 hours I was at 6.9 mmol. This is all the testing I’ve done and though nothing seems to indicate I have diabetes, I started experiencing odd muscle twitches that are nearly nonstop in both feet with occasional odd sensations such as a tickle. Also in my hands but 95% of the time it is in the feet and it’s mostly always nonstop muscle twitches . Absolutely no burning sensations . Occasionally I’ll feel a little electric prick but not too often . I notice that if I get very tense or stressed symptoms are worse . I suspected peripheral neuropathy and have been to both a podiatrist and neurologist . The podiatrist performed a variety of exams on my feet to assess neurological function and said I passed everything . The neurologist conducted an MRI, nerve conduction test, and EMG and everything was clear. The symptoms do not interfere with my ability to carry out daily duties or exercise but they just came on suddenly and rarely cease . It’s not normal . I am concerned I have a neuropathy and that I’m diabetic even if my labs don’t indicate that. So far no one can figure it out. I eat a balanced diet and even stopped working out for 10 days thinking I may have a pinched nerve . I am so paranoid I am even thinking my labs are nonsense and that I do have diabetes and associated neuropathy . The muscle twitching in both feet doesn’t go away with rest either . Yesterday I had more blood drawn to assess for vitamin deficiencies . At this point, I truly don’t even know if I have diabetes or if all these sensations are partly psychological and my underlying fear and stress for months has caused my nervous system to behave abnormally . Any feedback is highly highly appreciated . Thank you so much in advance . :(

Reactions: louisa53

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I can't comment on your feet, but can say that both your OGTT's and your HbA1c, and your FBG do not indicate diabetes. Far from it, in fact. Your fasting insulin test shows normal insulin, and most likely no insulin resistance. I think you need to look elsewhere for your weird feet feelings.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your figures show no indication of diabetes. An HBa1C of 5.4% is brilliant so just forget diabetes and see whether there is some other condition causing yo concern

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Restless leg syndrome? You said yourself "...nothing seems to indicate I have Diabetes".
I am sorry that you are struggling to find answers but we are not physicians, we are lay people with especial interest in a condition of which you show none of the classic signs and that has been ruled out by blood tests. I wish you well and hope that your problems are resolved soon.