Scared

niknak15

Hi all,

I'm type 1 on injections, about to start a pump trial. I have a little boy 18months. Basically we would like to think about the possibility of baby number 2 but here is why we are scared.

1st pregnancy was great, insulin requirement was very high but sugars were always between 5 and 10. I woke up 37 weeks one morning and he wasn't moving. I got rushed into theatre, he had suffocated because he was so big. He was born weighing 10lb. He then had a stroke and has been left with cerebral palsy on one side of his body. We spent 4 weeks in neonatal after his birth. The only problem he has is physical.

Has anyone ever had complications and then gone onto to have other children without problems???

The reason for the pump is since his birth my sugars haven't been great, especially at night. The team still don't know why this happened, just wondering if anyone can give advice??

Thanks xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

It seems as though your post has been overlooked.
I'll bump it up to see if anyone can help.

Take care,

CC.

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow Niknak u went thru the wars with him what a shame. Did the hospital not do regular growth spans on u and baby?! I find that quite disturbing that u were able to go on with him being so big. I've been reassured that they will do growth scans if measure 2cm bigger or smaller then I shld? I'm sorry to hear ur story. It sounds like u were overlooked. What did they have to say about it after baby came?!
I've never been on a pump but I hear good things about it. In relation to ur highs at night have they not considered fitting u with a CGMS I think it was called. It monitors ur blood levels frequently and will give u an answer as to wether u suffer the dawn phenomenon. I had it done and I suffer from a rise between 5-7am. I wake at 6am every day and take 10units of humalog in order to bring them down. It works great, u might need it?

niknak15

I've had CGM but only on loan. I did have growth scans but the obstetrician said it would be fine. I did say I had reduced movement but that was overlooked, that's another story though. All corrections made or routine changed hasn't helped so they want to try a pump.

I haven't heard of many type 1's having this problem. Just wondered if anyone here had been through the same?

X

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's a shame...I'm sorry to hear!! I've been told I won't get them unless I measure bigger then I am. Makes me a bit anxious. K8tie_x has great experience with a pump through pregnancy I think just from reading her posts she's very clued up!! Hopefully she can help. :)

Reactions: 2 people