Scary Night Saturday

joelcam

Hi all,

Had a real scare Sunday morning after a party Saturday night. Went to a garden party on Sat and drunk lots of cocktails and are a big bowl of rice without injecting. Not sure why I did this but assume I was just getting too drunk too quick. After a fair amount of memory loss my wife tells me that I could barely move at one point, and she checked me levels for me and injected me then got me in a taxi to take me home.

I checked my monitor the next day and had readings of 20+ and a reading that just said "Hi" which Iv'e googled and believe I was higher than 30mmol. This has really scared me! Memory loss may be to do with all the booze but to think I was walking around in my 30's and still shoving sugary drinks down me is clearly not good. Anyone know how close I was to something serious happening??

JC :crazy:

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
joelcam said:
Hi all,

Had a real scare Sunday morning after a party Saturday night. Went to a garden party on Sat and drunk lots of cocktails and are a big bowl of rice without injecting. Not sure why I did this but assume I was just getting too drunk too quick. After a fair amount of memory loss my wife tells me that I could barely move at one point, and she checked me levels for me and injected me then got me in a taxi to take me home.

I checked my monitor the next day and had readings of 20+ and a reading that just said "Hi" which Iv'e googled and believe I was higher than 30mmol. This has really scared me! Memory loss may be to do with all the booze but to think I was walking around in my 30's and still shoving sugary drinks down me is clearly not good. Anyone know how close I was to something serious happening??

JC :crazy:
The paramedics whizzed me off in a big yellow van when mine said hi.
On a drip for twelve hours and then sent home in the morning feeling fine.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad ur ok, was a close one.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

LittleWolf

That was indeed scary for you I'm sure

I just replied to another thread where someone else had a drink with wasting starchy carby things and it caught up with them later.

I will repeat I've had a glass of wine with my meal, a nice low postprandial then after eating anything else rocketed up to 19. Cider had me reading 'Lo' then woke up the next morning around 19 again.

The alcohol will give you an initial low then later, exacerbated by that rice (or in my case crackers) you will get smacked by high BG later

It's a bigger deal for T1s than someone like me, who isn't even classed as diabetic. You could have been in real trouble :( Just. Be. Careful. With. The. Booze. Of course i cant tell you stop . But nobody gets this :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

slimtony

Hi joelcam,

While the kind of very high blood sugars that you were seeing aren't good, what causes a more immediate problem is when high ketones are present alongside high blood sugar. It's possible to have high blood sugar without a particularly high level of ketones, but high blood sugar combined with uncontrolled ketosis can quickly lead to diabetic ketoacidosis, which is potentially deadly if not treated quickly enough.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Gosh that sounds frightening - enough to make me think carefully about my forth coming Saturday night's activities and perhaps just limit it to 1 or 2 drinks.

I tend to stick to G & slimline T when I do like a wee drop but over time am getting the feeling that abstinence may be the key to a long and less eventful life !!

Good luck and hope that never happens again :thumbup:

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I've had my sugar reader saying hi before now (particularly when I was first diagnosed and when my brother died and I couldn't cope well with it and didnt look after myself). There has been no long lasting damage done. So don't worry if this is your first hi, or they are infrequent. I think it's having sugars high for a longer period that there becomes a problem.

When I was diagnosed, I had had high sugars for so long without realising it that it did nearly kill me. But that was due to severe dehydration. I've been advised that if I am being sick with high sugars, that's when I am starting to lose more water than I can put in, and as a result that's when I need to seek medical help.

I can see why that would be scary for you, but if it is a one off don't beat yourself up. We all do silly things like this at some point and its more of a learning curve. I wouldn't be surprised if you felt really rough the next day though.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App