School visit

Morganator

Although my son's left primary school a few years ago I still help out at fundraisers, school dances and things.
This year one of the young pupils has been diagnosed with diabetes and the Head has asked if I would go and show the class that testing and injecting are simple and nothing to be scared about.
What do others think about this? I wouldn't mind as I know a lot of the kids and maybe seeing me as a diabetic will show them that we are as normal as the next person :)
Please let me know your opinions one way or another.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I think it's a great idea my 9 year old got her treacher to do a talk which she helped prepare as she was to shy herself but it made other kids aware if Chloe was shaking to tell someone and they all learnt where her hypo kit was so if needed someone could run and get it.also it helped others understand that you couldn't catch it and it was not from Chloe eating to many sweets as one child had said .there is a kit you can get for free from diabetes uk I think to help teach about it I think mainly it a good idea so if the child is low everyone knows how to help the symptoms and wht to look out for

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might help the poor kid who has been diagnosed, make him/her feel less isolated and different. They don't like being different at that age so any support is welcome.

Morganator

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to be seeing the Head tomorrow and I'll ask her to get something organised.
It's the Halloween party so at least they will see for themselves that having diabetes doesn't stop you having fun :)

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
I'd definitely say go for it Morganator.

What better way of enlightening other children regarding diabetes.
Depending on the age group, some of the children may not
even be aware of the illness.

Great opportunity of highlighting and
making an awareness of the subject.

:clap:

willie.

Morganator

Went along to school on Friday and pleased to say it went well.
I was lucky that one of the first comments was 'you can't have diabetes cos you were dancing at the disco last night' which was a great way of showing them that diabetics can still have fun and enjoy food and exercise it's just that we have to be a bit more organised.
I explained about how their friend may get low sugar levels and told them how to take her to the school office and maybe sit with her while the staff get her food.
The main part that I hope I got across to them was that was nothing to be scared of , they certainly wouldn't catch diabetes and the best thing they could do for their friend is just to carry on as usual.
I had taken my meter and pens and gave a demo and they were surprised that the needles were tiny and not the 'huge' ones used for vaccinations.
So fingers crossed I helped a bit and if they have more questions they've all been told just to ask next time they see me.

Misty1

Fantastic, well done you - those kids will go home and chat to their parents and spreading info is a great thing. I love that you took the emphasis away from the quality of your dancing too- more important matters at hand! My teenage boys would be 'mortified' if I even wiggled a hip so good on you!