scientific reason for cramp?

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
Hi, I know cramp has been discussed before but after a terrible bout last night just wanted to ask this.

Unlike others ,I don't actually suffer with it unless I fall off the wagon. Last evening was a prime example:- long day at work, nothing prepared in advance ( I know, big mistake) had to call in chippy on way home for teens and (another big mistake) got myself a 'fish supper'.
Bloated and a bit cheesed off with myself, settled down, feet up to watch Celeb BB (I know!) Dropped off (carb coma I call it) and suddenly awoke with absolutely rigid legs, the pain was excrutiating from my knees up to my groin in both legs. I didn't know what to do with myself for a good 5 mins. so painful I thought I was actually going to be sick. MY muscles are still sore today.
So why would that happen? It's about the third time and each time, my hubby ( a LC cynic) asks why it happens and that surely something must be wrong with a way of eating that can cause this and what if it happened to your heart? as it is after all a muscle too.
Anyone?
Thanks, Jane :)

angua

jahusba said:
Hi, I know cramp has been discussed ........and what if it happened to your heart? as it is after all a muscle too.
Anyone?

Hi Jane, now theres a terrible thought :shock:

don't have any info for you but maybe someone will be along who can help

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
jahusba said:
what if it happened to your heart? as it is after all a muscle too.
Anyone?

Cramp is caused (basically) when your muscles are stressed by having then in a shortened position for a period of time, ie feet pointing downwards when asleep, then when you first move or flex that muscle it goes into spasm and you wake up with a cramp.

Thankfully our hearts are always working so never put into a 'rest' position so I dont think cramp is an issue with that particular muscle :thumbup:

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Cramps-in-the-Leg.htm

ps... I find the best way of relieving cramp pain is to stand on something cold, I have on occations placed my foot on a 'cold' radiator or stood on a marble tile/hearth, its still :twisted: painful though.

keepinglean

Hi, you have a terrible experience about cramps. I often get cramps too, and the cause is sometimes when my period or menstruation is fast approaching. This is one of my problem, and the pain is very unpleasant. Low potassium is also a cause of cramps, I advised that you eat bananas during meals to gain potassium in our body. I usually eat bananas because it is good for the health.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
keepinglean said:
Hi, you have a terrible experience about cramps. I often get cramps too, and the cause is sometimes when my period or menstruation is fast approaching. This is one of my problem, and the pain is very unpleasant. Low potassium is also a cause of cramps, I advised that you eat bananas during meals to gain potassium in our body. I usually eat bananas because it is good for the health.

Bananas? Most here would/could not eat bananas.

Cramps are caused also by lack of salt and red meat.

sparkyrich

I was at the docs last week for cramp and she reckons it can be caused by too much salt too - my own fault for admitting having too many take aways as the reason my bloods are all over the place. Trying to keep to a lc diet is hard enough normally but I'm currently working loony hours at work and cooking something healthy doesn't appeal after a 16-20 hour working day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sid Bonkers said:
jahusba said:
what if it happened to your heart? as it is after all a muscle too.
Anyone?

Cramp is caused (basically) when your muscles are stressed by having then in a shortened position for a period of time, ie feet pointing downwards when asleep, then when you first move or flex that muscle it goes into spasm and you wake up with a cramp.

Thankfully our hearts are always working so never put into a 'rest' position so I dont think cramp is an issue with that particular muscle :thumbup:

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Cramps-in-the-Leg.htm

ps... I find the best way of relieving cramp pain is to stand on something cold, I have on occations placed my foot on a 'cold' radiator or stood on a marble tile/hearth, its still :twisted: painful though.

Sid I had another bad one last night, but not the excruciating ones that i often have and I cant even touch the area with a feather, never mind standing up OMG :( Most days I am constantly on my feet, always on the go, so I think my legs wonder what is going on when they actually go to bed and relax :lol: They can be extremly painful.................. ouch RRB

rockstar

Hi there, I used to suffer terribly with cramp. :mrgreen: But recently I went to purchase some Crampex tablets from the chemist and the chemist told me being Diabetic I was probably low on my Magnesium levels and to try taking a supplement of magnesium and vitamin D. Which I have done. You can take up to four tablets a day 100mg each but taking four might make you a bit loose, I just take one in a morning and one at night with meals plus one vitamin D tablet 400iu. Within a couple of days NO MORE CRAMP AT ALL. Whoopee!

I had also started with hand tremors (shaky hands) :clap: could not control my comuter mouse with one hand, eating peas and soup was a disaster. Putting coffee in a cup meant it shaking off the spoon. I also do watercolour painting but the shaking meant I had to give it up.....until I started on the Magnesium.....NO MORE SHAKING. Looked it up on the internet and this Magnesium is also for the nervious system, which has stopped my shaky hands. It is a supplement that is so good for loads of things, just Google it.

Hope this helps :wave:

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Hi read somewhere that Metformin might be implicated. I suffer with cramp all over, especially if I get cold...
meidics when I was in hospital had no idea what to do with someone writhing all over...docs prescribed Quinnine Sulphate but can't take any more pills...so I would love to know what science has to say about the condition among diabetics?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I edon't think anyone knows definitively why muscles cramp sometimes. I am prone to it as was my Dad. A cardiologist friend said to take a 1/4 teaspoonful of salt and it would make the muscle relax. It works for me and leaves the muscle without the "bruised" feeling you get if you simply pull it out.
Hana

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Have you tried taking a dose of Milk of Magnesia or a couple of magnesium tablets when you get cramp? Some doctors give magnesium to patients suspected of having a heart attack because it relaxes the muscles very quickly. It works the same for leg and foot cramps. My mum always kept a bottle of Milk of Mag in her cupboard and only when I reached menopause and started suffering from leg cramps and restless legs, did she tell me it was her secret remedy.

The salt on the tongue with a glass of water is also a good remedy, as is Indian Tonic Water which contains quinine. :)

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
hi,

The cramp is probably caused because of an imbalance of electrolytes and your potassium readding is probably very low causing the cramps. Its important to hydrate and make sure you dont starve yourself.

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had terrible cramps most nights. Was advised to take magnesium which I did. This helped a lot and now rarely get night cramps at all. I have also found that if I am "naughty" and have late night carby snacks then cramps kick in again so try not to eat naughties at night :thumbdown:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Upon reading this I realised I haven't suffered from leg cramps for a while. After reading this i looked up Magnesium rich foods and found some things I now eat regularly were on the list, such as brocoli, nuts and sunflower seeds. Maybe this is why? I have been low carbing for the last few months too resulting in a steady weight loss. I must say, I really dont miss those cramps.

hophead

I can recommend Quinine for cramp. Tried magnesium but found the quinine more effective. One old wives tale that does work for some people is to (and I kid you not) put a tablet of soap at the bottom of your bed. What have you go to lose? - just don't tell anyone :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hophead said:
I can recommend Quinine for cramp. Tried magnesium but found the quinine more effective. One old wives tale that does work for some people is to (and I kid you not) put a tablet of soap at the bottom of your bed. What have you go to lose? - just don't tell anyone :)
Put a tablet of soap at the bottom of your bed, interesting, I heard that only yesterday from a French lady, it was savon de Marseille that did it though :lol:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Yes, Quinine Sulphate IS wonderful but it comes at a price!!! Banned in the US in 1999 having been conclusively proved to have caused the deaths of 90 people. In my case, I am now a victim of Chronic Kidney Disease after 8 years continuous use - nobody told me that QS is for short term use only. Just up your Magnesium intake for almost certain relief.