SD Codefree

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I know the answer is in here somewhere because I have read it, my question is with this meter, it seems to read higher than both my Contour and my Aviva by about 15%, I know others have had same issues, I think xyzzy had done some test with it and adjusted his to compensate, would 15% seem about right?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Roy when I tested it the one I had measured a bit (say 0.5mmol/l) higher than my One Touch meter on average. I gave up measuring with both when I realised testing with two meters is seriously detrimental to your health and rapidly "does your head in". I stopped when I suddenly realised I was taking the same test for the 5th time! Luckily I had a relative who needed a meter so it got given to them and as they had no other meter to test against reckons it works just fine. I have another family member who also has one and they reckon theirs works fine too. Someone posted a table of various meters accuracy against a proper hospital BG machine and it concluded the SD was one of the best for accuracy. From that I reckon my One Touch actually measures a bit low but I don't care cos I like the numbers it shows and in any event you can't cheat the independent hBA1c machine.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one ands it's fine, it reads a little lower than my Aviva, occasionally a little higher, only about 0.2 each way. I we my code free for about 2 weeks per month then my Aviva for 2 weeks alternating.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Hmmm, My problem is the Mil who has type 1, and for some reason does not test because she says; she does not need too due to the insulin she takes? gave me the Contour and said she would get strips off Doctor for me, but her old doctor has retired and the new one has told her she is only getting one pot a month, I am testing 4 times a day after meals and before bed. so need about 124 strips a month, I have bought the Codefree because as we all know the strips are massively cheaper. But the disparity from the other two which do read roughly the same, seems to be around the 15% mark for what my BG normally runs at, in the 4.6-5.5 range. I know using different mater will send you bonkers and don't do it for that reason but did need to find a bench mark.Think I will just adjust my excel sheet to knock the 15% off entered readings. That way there will not be a big jump from my Contour readings.

iHs

Hello Roy

I am not sure what other people will make of reading your above msg but I think your MIL is being very silly in thinking that she doesn't need to test her bg levels because of her insulin regime. Its because of the way insulin lowers bg levels that people using it should test and do it at least 4-6 times a day. The people who dont test are the ones that usually get caught out. I hope that if your MIL has got a computer with internet access that you can get her to look at this forum a bit and read all the msgs posted by people about how to control their bg levels.

Getting back to yourself......... leave your MIL with the Contour strips as she does need to use them herself and for you to carry on using the SD and buying the strips. No 2 bg meters will ever be identical in their bg readings so either use one or the other.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
iHs said:
Hello Roy

I am not sure what other people will make of reading your above msg but I think your MIL is being very silly in thinking that she doesn't need to test her bg levels because of her insulin regime. Its because of the way insulin lowers bg levels that people using it should test and do it at least 4-6 times a day. The people who dont test are the ones that usually get caught out. I hope that if your MIL has got a computer with internet access that you can get her to look at this forum a bit and read all the msgs posted by people about how to control their bg levels.

Getting back to yourself......... leave your MIL with the Contour strips as she does need to use them herself and for you to carry on using the SD and buying the strips. No 2 bg meters will ever be identical in their bg readings so either use one or the other.
I have told her this till I have gone blue in the face, She already has gone blind in one eye due to retinopathy and had laser treatment in the other eye, but she will not listen, all she say's is; I no when my BG is out by the way I feel. She has gotten another Contour now and I have told her to use the strips herself as I am using the SD, but I doubt she will. Her other daughter has Type 2 like me and I have had some success with her, She has got a meter and is testing and low carb dieting with BG coming down now. But again it's a battle as her attitude tends to be if I can not see it, no need to worry, Scary some peoples attitude to this, sadly some don't listen until it is far to late.

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one and when I first used it I tested on my one touch at the same time and they came out exactly the same.