1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Searchable online database of 3,200 foods

Discussion in 'Community Submitted Guides & Links' started by miahara, Oct 15, 2021.

1. miahara

miahara Type 3c · Well-Known Member

The Food Databanks online database is an easily accessed and quickly searchable online resource.

It is based on data extracted from PHE's McCance & Widdowsons's Composition of Foods Integrated Dataset (aka CoFID)which is about as comprehensive as can be found for data about the composition of foods.

There is a link to the COFID data, but the data is in Excel format and of little use unless you have Excel or similar. I downloaded the Excel data, edited it to suit my own interests and then copied it into my own fully searchable database.

https://quadram.ac.uk/UKfoodcomposition/

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

It needs you to sign up, which I'm not keen on.
    Can you tell us a bit more on what it's about?
    I can get nutritional information and ingredients for almost all foods with a quick Google search, what kind of information and what kind of foods is this about?

3. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The open source office software Libre Office will open excel files on windoze.

There are also Android apps that will open it as well as Google Sheets up there on cloud nine.

4. miahara

miahara Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I'm always a bit hesitant about signing up too, but this site seems to be very safe. I signed up a few months ago and have had no problems with spam etc.
    Here's a screen shot of a search I've just done for 'bread' it's showing only a fraction of the list that was produced. As far as regards 'what kinds of food?' it covers all kinds of foods and you'll be hard pressed to find a more comprehensive list in one place anywhere.
    I'm not suggesting that it's the best source for everyone's needs, but just posted it to make folk aware that it exists and that it might be of use or interest for some.
    bread carbs.jpg

5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks, @miahara , your screenshot makes it much clearer what this is about, and I agree it might be useful.
    I'll put my suspicious mod hat back in its box, it's obviously not needed here. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook