Second visit to Nurse, thank goodness for this site!

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my second visit. Well, she was nice enough but in two visits has not once given me any advice regarding my diet (she recommended here but thankfully, I was already posting when diganosed!.

Apparently oven chips are ok :mad:, she is pleased my levels are reducing. Thinks my foot pain may be neuropathy but lets wait and see. My incontenece could be related but could be because I am obese. She couldnt weigh me as we were not in the treatment room where the scales are. Metformin is known to give the side effects I have but they will settle down and as long as I am not messing myself I should stick with it. My bp is very high still, they want me to do some home monitoring but could not supply a machine as they have none with extended cuffs (Lloyds pharamcy £20.00) lol. Go back in 2 months to get my HbA1c tested, come back before if any problems, keep up the good work!

Sorry for the rant but suppose I wasnt so lucky to find you all here? You have offered me more support and advice than I would ever have expected.

I know the strain the NHS is under but maybe some of these people need to actually look here to find out the right way of doing things :):)

I also told her about Lidls rolls ;)

Deb

Reactions: 10 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh no! They are supposed to support you.

You get better information from the forum anyway. We all support each other and you will always have an answer or two to your questions and extra advice. :)

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Kim, the forum sure is the place to be :). You are right about the support as well
Deb

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm concerned that she didn't seem bothered by your very high BP, so I suggest you push for treatment, as it increases your risk of complications. Diabetics should have BP no higher than 130/80.

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Such appalling care...it seems to be common in way too many practices these days. I was asked how I had reduced my HbA1c back to non diabetic level in 3 months and when I told her I had been eating low carb and higher fat she just sneered and said pfff that's why you have lost weight...you will mess your cholesterol up and you must eat carbs..you can't live without them! It seems they are determined to keep their eyes and minds closed to anything we do for ourselves and to disregard it as wrong. I wish oven chips were okay lol....umm don't think so :( Hope you manage to get the care you need and show them how to manage it all despite their incompetence

Reactions: 7 people

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did buy a monitor and they will look at my readings in a week and see if I need meds, it has been very high the last two visits though. I have learnt very quickly since being diagnosed that the nurses seem to be indoctrinated with one set of rules and thats it! Very odd considering the problems that can be caused by Diabetes. I so wanted to say that maybe she should not just recommend this site but should visit it herself ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You haven't mentioned what your diet actually is? With excess weight you need to keep the carbs down and have enough fat and protein to make you feel full. If the Metformin bowel problem continues do ask for the SR (Slow Release) version.

Reactions: 3 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I did buy a monitor and they will look at my readings in a week and see if I need meds, it has been very high the last two visits though. I have learnt very quickly since being diagnosed that the nurses seem to be indoctrinated with one set of rules and thats it! Very odd considering the problems that can be caused by Diabetes. I so wanted to say that maybe she should not just recommend this site but should visit it herself ;)
That's good that they are going to consider BP meds in a week. I got the impression that it would be left for 2 months, which I think is too long, especially if it's "very" high.

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to 'Nurse Ratchet' it was shockingly high, I shall see tomorrow when I start my monitoring :) Although overweight my BP has always been really good.

I am following the LCHF diet, I need to tweak a few things but have not felt hungry at all so far and feel like I am on the right track. I did mention the SR and her eyebrows almost hit the ceiling! I am seeing my GP in about a week so will ask her I think.

Thanks so much for your replies :)

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby has just been diagnosed with high BP - I'm probably part of the problem for stressing him out ;) Exercise, a daily long walk is a way to bring BP down it also helps with glucose levels too.

Well done on the LCHF - numbers will hopefully change with that too :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my second visit. Well, she was nice enough but in two visits has not once given me any advice regarding my diet (she recommended here but thankfully, I was already posting when diganosed!.

Apparently oven chips are ok :mad:, she is pleased my levels are reducing. Thinks my foot pain may be neuropathy but lets wait and see. My incontenece could be related but could be because I am obese. She couldnt weigh me as we were not in the treatment room where the scales are. Metformin is known to give the side effects I have but they will settle down and as long as I am not messing myself I should stick with it. My bp is very high still, they want me to do some home monitoring but could not supply a machine as they have none with extended cuffs (Lloyds pharamcy £20.00) lol. Go back in 2 months to get my HbA1c tested, come back before if any problems, keep up the good work!

Sorry for the rant but suppose I wasnt so lucky to find you all here? You have offered me more support and advice than I would ever have expected.

I know the strain the NHS is under but maybe some of these people need to actually look here to find out the right way of doing things :):)

Deb

By the sound of that nurse, I reckon you misheard her.
Are you sure she didn't recommend "Diabetes.org.uk", not Diabetes.co.uk"?

But congratulations on getting your numbers going the right way.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Beware of 'white coat syndrome' with BP measurements. Readings should be taken sitting comfortably upright with the forearm below the cuff at rest and a similar elevation to the meter, with the hose as straight as practicable. Don't take a reading until you have been sitting quietly for at least 5 minutes. That's rarely the case in the surgery in my experience, quite apart from the stress often encountered which doesn't help at all.

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They do tend to drag out any advice ..

Here's my Top 5 Tips

1. As stated take the SR Metformin, if you get diarrhoea.

2. Look at the column on the back of packets, tubs and cans.

( not the front)

Find carbohydrates ..
Under that should be :

Sugars...if that figure is over 10 - don't eat it.

3 Half your portions of Chips, potatoes, rice etc

4. Avoid sweet fruit.

5. Try and talk your doctor into giving you a testing machine 'for three months' so that you can see when your blood glucose rises and falls.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They do tend to drag out any advice ..

Here's my Top 5 Tips

1. As stated take the SR Metformin, if you get diarrhoea.

2. Look at the column on the back of packets, tubs and cans.

( not the front)

Find carbohydrates ..
Under that should be :

Sugars...if that figure is over 10 - don't eat it.

3 Half your portions of Chips, potatoes, rice etc

4. Avoid sweet fruit.

5. Try and talk your doctor into giving you a testing machine 'for three months' so that you can see when your blood glucose rises and falls.

I would go further than halving portions of potato and rice, I cut them out completely. And I pay no attention to the amount of sugar in food, I only look at the total carbs, because carbs turn into sugar anyway.

If a doctor or nurse refusing to provide a BG meter I suggest where people can buy one with the cheapest test strips:

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

There is a discount code if you buy 5 or 10 boxes, which brings the price down to about £5 for 50 strips.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

Deb
Happy to see your here its a learning curve and but for the help and advice we get here...i shudder to think .......keep posting and we will beat this illness

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I was amazed as apparently I can order as many test strips and lancets as I want!. I have now been put on the SR Metformin after writing to my Doc, so will start those gradually tonight. I am finding that my BP is better at home, still on the high side but not as bad. I have to take a weeks worth of results back to the Docs.

Luckily I did not follow her advice regarding oven chips :rolleyes: I have cut potatoes out completely, I have rice and pasta as well. I have lost some weight but am determined not to weigh myself too often as in the past it has become almost an obsession, so I am not going down that route again, as we have all said, this is not a diet but a lifestyle change :)

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I was amazed as apparently I can order as many test strips and lancets as I want!. I have now been put on the SR Metformin after writing to my Doc, so will start those gradually tonight. I am finding that my BP is better at home, still on the high side but not as bad. I have to take a weeks worth of results back to the Docs.

Luckily I did not follow her advice regarding oven chips :rolleyes: I have cut potatoes out completely, I have rice and pasta as well. I have lost some weight but am determined not to weigh myself too often as in the past it has become almost an obsession, so I am not going down that route again, as we have all said, this is not a diet but a lifestyle change :)
Something nice and positive Deb x :)