Seeds and Beans

broads

I am thinking about sprouting beans and seeds? Can anyone recommend some nice ones to get me started. I've had a look on the internet but there are so many to choose from. Many thanks

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The classic are mung beans.
Hana

Spiral

radish are nice

I'd suggest a trip to a garden center or an independent health food shops as they often do packets of seeds for sprouting.

broads

Thank you both for your kind replies. I thin k I will do as you suggest and go to the garden centre, don't know why I didn't think of it.

marleemacd

I used to do a mixture of mung and aduki beans, the colours contrast nicely and they both start with a 24 hour soak. Chick pea sprouts are lovely and nutty, and black-eyed beans taste good. Thanks for reminding me about them, my boss thinks I'll die of scurvy now I don't eat any fresh fruit at all...sprouts taste pretty sweet!

Spiral

there are also onion seeds, broccoli, alfalfa, beetroot, loads of stuff.

Make sure you buy seeds produceed for sprouting because some of the seeds produced for growing crops have been treated.

I bought a rather nice sprouting jar from Julian Graves last year, it has a handled lid that keeps it at the right angle to promote good drainage. it came with a rather fabulous poster that listed all the things you can sprout and how to do it and how long you have to wait before you can eat them. I recall a square plastic stacking box type thing I bough tin the 1980s and didn't get on with it at all.

beware of mixed seed packets because they all take different lengths of time before they are ready to eat.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I love my garlic chives....got them from a local seed grower and I regularly pinch some for on salads etc or just eat as they are