seeking advice - help

rach67

was diagnosed in 2001 as having type 2 diabetes. Took tablets and diet control initially. Then was put on Novomix, worked up to 30 units am and pm, plus metformin, rosliglitlizide and another tablet which I can not remember. Blood sugars seem to be levelled. Am was reading 8.1 lunch time was 3.9 to 4.8 and before teatime they were reading between 6 and 7, at bed time they were about 7.5 to 8. Now been put on Novorapid and Levemir, 10 units of Novorapid morn, noon and evening and then 20 units of Levemir before bed. Now blood sugars are reading 8.1 am, 6.6 lunchtime and 8.7 tea time. These appear to be much higher than before. I now have to contact a pharmacist next week with blood sugar readings and if necessary he will authorise alterations to insulin - ARE THEY ALLOWED TO DO THIS? Diabetic Nurse and GP related and feel as though I am going round in circles. Can anyone give me advice on where I can go for advice on this matter. PLEASE

Don't worry, be happy

martinbuchan

Are you somewhere remote? You should really speak to your hospital based diabetic nurses- mine are brill for advice like this. They might be a bit annoyed if you didn't phobe them.

The control your morning fasting BS- you need to adjust your levemir dose. Only change 2-4 units every 3 days or so. There is no hurry. The day time BS is influenced by levemir, novorapid, food intake and activity level. I find I am constantly experimenting on myself still after 1 year of insulin and still doing 5-6 BS measurements per day. As I am type 2, I do a lot of post meal BS as well. I usually do a top up novorapid in the evening a my BS rise after the evening meal is quite long. My top up dose is BS+2 units. This has never made me hypo. My type 1 neighbour has quite high BS after meals but this plummets at 3-4 hours. Quite a different disease really.

Also, levemir was initally once a day, but can be used twice daily.

Marty B