Self destruct button

I realise it’s probably been done to death on here, but as a newbie here goes …
Just wondered how others deal with a personal self destruct button.
I know all the right things to do/not do. I feel guilty when I know I’m not being a “good diabetic”.
I know the implications of poor control.
Yet there are (sometimes extended) periods of time when I just cannot bring myself to do the right thing.
Medical experts great at talking the mechanics of diabetes, awful at dealing with the mental side of the condition.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to make a tiny step towards doing the right things and then I feel a little more positive and can praise myself on that one step rather than beating myself up about everything else. It's hard when you don't really know why you can't do the right things some of the time, yet at other times it's fairly easy to stay on track. It's also overwhelming to face it all sometimes.

I try not to dwell on the implications of poor control, but look towards the implications of good control. But, yes it's hard to keep your head above water when you just don't feel like it.
Talking here is a great help for me though so...welcome to the forum :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know all the right things to do/not do. I feel guilty when I know I’m not being a “good diabetic”.
Yet there are (sometimes extended) periods of time when I just cannot bring myself to do the right thing.
Medical experts great at talking the mechanics of diabetes, awful at dealing with the mental side of the condition.
what type of diabetes do you have?

I take it one step at a time when self care feels too hard. I have a minimum list of what I consider to be an achievement - often its simply getting dressed, and brushing my hair. Be gentle with yourself. How long have you been diagnosed? Maybe have a list of three things which are the minimum you consider to be important.

Its helpful to other members if you fill in your profile and information so we know what type of diabetes you have, what meds you are on, your latest HbA1c, as this can affect the help and answers we give.

You are not alone with these feelings. I have been diagnosed for 10 years now, and still get waves of these feelings, plus I have depression and anxiety anyway. Welcome.

Reactions: EllieM and zand

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You seem to understand the medical side of things so how about somewhere like Andy's Mans Club
I know a few guys who have gone for a chat. Not me personally, but the speed with which the organisation is growing, they seem to be doing something right. There are quite a few clubs now so there may well be one local to you?
Anyhow, best of luck, it certainly isn't easy sometimes.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Energyengineer , I pretty much am self destructive 24/7, though not so much about my T2... Though yeah, sometimes it's hard and you get contrary and want to do things everyone and your body say, you really can't. It's strong. I mean, really strong. For me, I give in a *little*. I curb it, but let out just enough to vent off those feelings... Take the pressure off a bit. So rather than say, eat an entire cake, I'd have a nibble, just enough for the taste, not for a spike. In dietary terms. In other area's, well... I've had a death wish for most of my life, and rather than actively do something about it, I tend to drag a nail across my wrist and be done with it. I don't do actual harm, but it's a bit of a token, a recognition of how I feel, and then I can go on about my day. All in all, you find a way that works for you that keeps you functional and as healthy as you can be. That, and I don't hide it. I found my feelings got bigger the more I kept them in, ended up with spiralling thinking, and that made things all that much worse. Say it, give it air like you have here, and things somehow tend to become more manageable.

And @Jo_the_boat, that link was amazing. A few years ago a construction worker said goodbye on Twitter, and he ended up in the psych-ward. He's still around today because he got help at the last possible second, and he's quite an amazing person. But he wouldn't've been about to step on the rails if men actually managed to talk to one another. I'm glad there's more initiatives to get mental health sorted. Or at least get proper conversations started.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum @Energyengineer .

I can still remember how I felt when I was first diagnosed. I felt like my life had ended - I actually felt that I would have preferred some type of terminal illness diagnosis than the one I received. So I get it.

A couple of things have helped me. Being on this forum is one. The amount of advice and support and just listening that I have experienced here has made the diagnosis almost worth it. Seriously some of the most amazing and compassionate people I have ever know I have 'met' here.

Secondly I am an all or nothing type person so I find the lower I keep my carb intake the less carbs I crave. That is what works for me. I also keep motivated by testing regularly.

Thirdly I find it helps me to have some keto friendly snacks around. Diet jelly, low carb peanut butter are examples for me.

Read around and keep posting. People here want to help and offer support and advice.

Welcome and Good luck.