1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

self-harming by overeating high carb food or sugar

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by apple123, Feb 12, 2015.

1. apple123

apple123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have totally blown my eating habits lately by eating late night takeaways with high carbs, , and I'm currently awake with terrible thirst and feeling ill. I'm not sure why I've been doing this when I'm conscious of the diabetes - although it started with feeling low, but I know it's got to stop.

Has anyone else struggled with this type of thing? (Please be kind).

2. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Most have I'd suggest ... and yep, I'll be kind ... sort of ....

Most of us fall by the wayside at some point and, yes, we all need help. I'll (sort of) quote another member's comments that struck a chord with me ... and no, I have NEVER been tempted because I have an iron will.

Do you want that piece of cake now or lose your foot down the track?. How about that pastry for your craving or your eyesight in years to come?

I liken diabetes to a prisoner's visitor holding the keys to the cell. They can walk out anytime they wish and do as they want or realise the confines of the person to whom they paid a visit are (for one reason or another) trapped where they are. Which one would you rather be and how close do you want to get to that line where you join them..

You're better than this

Last word .... Fight.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Don't forget that the more you eat carbs the more you want them. 4 days of really trying hard and not slipping will get you back on track. Then after 2 weeks you will wonder why you wanted carbs in the first place.

Now could somebody tell that to me, because I need to get back on the wagon too!

• Like Like x 21
  4. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Zand.. You've been told!!!!

• Like Like x 6
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

lol yeh thanks DD

6. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

"after 2 weeks you will wonder why you wanted carbs in the first place.) Not so!

It really is a constant struggle, isn't it. I used to love my food but now most of the time just eat as I know I have to. I did like stir fries, salads etc. but NOT ALL THE TIME! Arrrgggh. Never mind, when I start the ND I am guessing even they will seem yummy! What I miss most is fruit and my cereal for breakfast (bran flakes, not the sugary kind).

I go to see my diabetic nurse next week (never actually seen my doctor) and then hope to start that weekend; I have lots arranged for next week so not a good time to start.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Hi AH :)

Nothing wrong with stir fries at all. :) I do a cooked lean beef mince with HEAPS of shredded cabbage and curry powder and beans and a LOT of oil. Tastes great.

As for brekkie, full meat snags with bacon and eggs.

Take care

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  8. Arab Horse

Agreed, but I am getting sick of stir fries. I really wil have to start looking for alternatives! I don';t like celeriac mash and curry without any rice, nan bread etc. isn't the same especially as my husband has it all with his and then starts on the donuts afterwards; a constant reminder of what I am missing.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Yep, look away :) Better still, look at the recipes on the forum. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Exactly, we need to find alternatives or else we end up back on carbs. That's been my mistake too. We need to look for what we can eat not think about what we can't.....(while we still have the eyesight to look with.)

• Like Like x 4
  11. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

It happens @apple123.
    The satisfaction when eating something that does not agree with you is always short lived as you have discovered. Why do we do it? Who knows.
    Is it because we feel rebellious after having to be mindful of what we eat, day in day out, do we get envious of our peers.......there are many reasons but the only person we are hurting is ourselves.

You have to be in control of diabetes or else he will reek havoc on you. It's a bit like expecting a wild beast to conform to your rules, it is impossible.

Pick yourself up, start again and when the next urge descends on you, think back to how you felt after this high carb meal.

Please don't think you are alone with sabotaging your diet, most of us have done it, it is what you do next that matters.

• Like Like x 11
    • Hug Hug x 1
  12. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

In your position I'd be asking your husband why he wasn't supporting you as well.... In our household, we've both gone low carb, and both seen the results of it.

• Like Like x 9
  13. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Well from what I've seen here I believe wives are more likely to low carb with their diabetic husbands than the other way round. I still buy my husband junk because he would buy it for himself anyway if I didn't (yes, I've tried not buying it) If I buy it myself I can make sure it's not my favourite junk and then I'm less likely to succumb to temptation. As it is he often doesn't understand why I'm having salad instead of chips when we go out for a meal and why I usually don't have a dessert. He seems to think that I could eat all the carbs I want as I don't need any drugs yet :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

@zand, now I'm telling you! You give great advice and are a friend of many on this here forum.
    Behave yourself! You know you're better than that!

Best wishes.

• Like Like x 4
  15. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

lol Well at least you're not shouting at me nosher. :) I'll try, I'll really try.:)

• Like Like x 6
  16. Arab Horse

He does support me, just carries on as usual for his diet. It seems very unfair as he has always had a terrible diet; loads of bottles of sugary drinks, too much wine and not a lot of veg and no fruit plus very little exercise yet I am the one with diabetes!!! At least he realises the seriousness of it as opposed to my sister who keeps telling me she has "loads of friends with diabetes and they aren';t like me, I am just poaranoid and if I can't have cereal etc. why don't I just go on insulin and then I can". Grrrrr

PS She is the one woi is a bit overweight although her diet is quite good and she does watch the calories.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Tell them you are allergic to carbs and sugars!

It works for me!

• Like Like x 4
  18. apple123

Thanks @zand, that's just what I needed to hear - thank you very much for posting. I've had a mushroom & leek omelette for brunch and will do whatever I can to eat healthily without carbs for at least the next four days to aim to rid myself of cravings, and then will work on continuing on track!

• Like Like x 5
  19. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

@apple123 and now I'd better practise what I preach because I really don't like being a hypocrite. I'm joining you right now! Thank you :)

• Like Like x 8
  20. apple123

That's great @zand - take good care of you - let's enjoy some healthy eating :)

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook